Always Patsy Cline

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Simmons

patsy

Post by Bob Simmons »

done this show many times - always fun - got to actually play C6 a good bit - if you only play a single neck, just lower your 4th and 8th strings on walkin after midnight for B to C6 we did 32 shows at the Alabama Shakespreare festival theater - sell out every show!
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I am subbing off and on for Tommy Dodd on an Atlanta run that going about 3 months unless it extends again. Patsy is played by Cindy Summers who was the lead in the Denver version that John Macy referenced I think.

Tunes are about like Roger listed them. I learned the show by listening to it with Tommy playing 3 or 4 times to get the general feel and then spending a few hours with a CD copy.

This is a 200 seat venue and we play very softly on stage. (A challenge). But you can hear the other instruments without monitors and for me the key is to not be all over the top of the piano or fiddle. (I guess that's a violin since he's reading :) )

I hope you have as much fun as I am Jeff.

http://www.alwaysatlanta.com/
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Robert Jones

Post by Robert Jones »

Jeff I think that you will love doing this show. I have played this show three different times. One was a National Tour of "Always Patsy Cline". We played 150 shows in 40 states. That was a blast. Roger's song list was almost exactly the same as mine only in a slightly different order. It's good 'ol country music and I love doing the show. Best of luck with it. BTW don't let the charts worry you. Once you get the songs down the only thing you need to worry about is listening for the que when it's time to play the next song. I highlighted my que's and didn't even worry about the charts. Have fun with it.
Mullen Royal Precision D10 Red Lacquer Pearl inlay 8&8
"Life is too short for bad tone."
https://mullenguitars.com/
http://www.bjsbars.com/
Ernie Pollock

It was me!!

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I was the steel guitar player at the Cumberland Theater, when Bernadette Galanti played the part of Patsy Cline. I played a Mullen S-12 Universal steel on that show, we did 24 Shows, it was a real 'hoot' with Bernadette, she was a wonderful singer & just a great person to work with. The guys in the band did a fine job on the show.

Ernie Pollock Mt Savage Maryland :D
301-264-4172
Dave O'Brien

APC Cortland NY

Post by Dave O'Brien »

3 more shows of a 3 week run and I'm done! woo hoo.
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I've done this show twice over the last (5) years, and while both piano players were different in each show, and both were also the musical director(s) I thoroughly enjoyed all performances. Their professionalism in allowing me "much space" and "musical expression" on steel guitar when playing "Always" was greatly appreciated! After all, it is Patsy!
We were allowed to do "Pick me up on your way Down" as exit music.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

I got to work with the Amarillo Little Theatre troupe in Oklahoma City and Woodward OK, a few years back. Was a lot of fun, and it's a great addition to your resume!
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Is the E-9th or C-6th tuning most appropriate for Patsy's tunes?

Roger
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

During Patsy's biggest years (Owen Bradley) steel was barely present on her recordings yet, I'm happy to say, the playwright determined that the band should include a steel player - that decision has kept some of us working over the years. But her most successful records were distinctly pop-crossover hits.

I've always done the show on E9 although 'Walking After Midnight', for example, was probably originally done on C6th. Some nights I'd play a couple of the tunes on the back neck just for the novelty of it but E9 will suffice.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dave O'Brien

E9th or C6

Post by Dave O'Brien »

Roger Shackelton wrote:Is the E-9th or C-6th tuning most appropriate for Patsy's tunes?

Roger
When I first started to do the show I brought a D-10, then an S-12, now am using an S-10, next time maybe a lap steel :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

I had the good fortune several years ago to do a two week run of the show. Had a great time and the audience really enjoyed it. I met some musicians that did the show and we later formed a band that worked out well.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Roger Shackelton wrote:Is the E-9th or C-6th tuning most appropriate for Patsy's tunes?

Roger
The older songs (like Walking After Midnight) were played on non-pedal by Don Helms.

He would have used E6 with a high G# on top but A6 or C6 (or any other 6th tuning) would work fine.
Last edited by Jeff Mead on 9 Nov 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Ah, thanks, Jeff - Don Helms, of course.

Mostly I play '...Midnight' two-below-zero on E9 with the Es lowered.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Kevin,
You mentioned "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down" Curious, did you play the Charlie Walker song? (a long time favorite of mine) OR the very obscure and totally different song by the same title, that Patsy Cline recorded? Most people never heard of it.

I did the show two years ago and except for Patsy's major hits, I didn't care for a lot of the songs in the play. We used "Honky Tonk Angels" for an opener and chaser. I thought they should have saved that song for the other play: "Always, Kitty Wells".

Regards,
Craig
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

Craig Baker wrote:Kevin,
You mentioned "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down" Curious, did you play the Charlie Walker song? (a long time favorite of mine) OR the very obscure and totally different song by the same title, that Patsy Cline recorded? Most people never heard of it.

I did the show two years ago and except for Patsy's major hits, I didn't care for a lot of the songs in the play. We used "Honky Tonk Angels" for an opener and chaser. I thought they should have saved that song for the other play: "Always, Kitty Wells".

Regards,
Craig
Craig, funny that you said that. The author of "Always, Patsy Cline" wrote another play called "The Honky Tonk Angels". That was the my first foray into the world of theater. It's a fun play to do.
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Jerry,
I attended a performance of Honky Tonk Angels a few months ago. While it seemed like the music would have been fun to play, I'm still trying to figure out what the plot was. It was not well produced and though the band was capable, they were behind the curtain and never visible to the audience.

That brings to mind a question for all readers: During the entire run of "Always, Patsy Cline" in which I played, none of the actors nor musicians were permitted to meet and greet the audience at any time. On the other hand, I've seen the play three times and at each performance, the cast all greeted the audience after each performance to thank them for coming to the play.

Any other cast or band members "quarantined" away from the public? Seemed strange indeed to me.

Just curious.

Craig
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

:D
Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 10 Nov 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Craig Baker wrote:Kevin,

Regards,
Craig
Charlie Walker style Craig!
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Kevin, I was guessing that, though it's not used in the play.

Have you heard the Patsy Cline song by the same title? Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbMOIvVsu6A

Craig
Stephen Adkins

Always, Patsy Cline in Gilroy, CA

Post by Stephen Adkins »

I just closed up the show in Gilroy, Ca two days ago. Carter SD-10 E9th. I'm sure I've done the most recent production, at least in Northern CA. I'd be happy to answer any future questions about the show or arrangements. Another group in my area is about to ask for rights for mid-summer '16. That is up to the publisher of course.

Be advised that this is a copyrighted show so the publisher is keen to keep it unmolested as far as its historical significance. So that means...treat it with some respect as Patsy herself would want you to.

Be prepared to use AB, BC, AF, D/E, DB, F pedals as usual. I was even able to use strings 1 and 2 also without spoiling the pre-1964 vibe of the show. I used a '66 Princeton Reverb with one 10" Mojotone speaker and tried a low level slap back echo, although echo or not didn't make much difference...so stay true to early '60's sound.

As for mingling with the public...I've never heard of any show restricting mingling with the public. Of course, during Act one and two you are part of the show so stick to the music and script when the show is in progress.