is it worth the price

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Clayton Pashka

is it worth the price

Post by Clayton Pashka »

I was just wondering if this was worth the price point? This steel is for sale near me...

Clayton Pashka

Post by Clayton Pashka »

I just realized I didn't put the price in. It's going for $650 CAN which is $500 US. It looks to be in pretty good shape as well as the original case.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That seems like a high price to me.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Hi Clayton
That is a $300 guitar as far as I am concerned.
If you live near London, I have a nice old National Dynamic you might like!
Clayton Pashka

Post by Clayton Pashka »

That's what I thought. He is asking for guitar trades as well so I am going to offer him my Ibanez AF 75 hollowbody. I am in Toronto so not too close to London.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I'm not sure on the brand, but not one of the most desirable for that style… looks to be a variant on the Valco string-through pickup so will probably be a very good sounding guitar and nice for overdriving a small amp. Unless you used a right-angle jack on your output cord you'll find the cord probably gets in your way with the output jack on the control plate there. Looks as if the fretboard has chipped away (from fingerpicks, probably) but otherwise nice shape, so maybe all of that would give you some bargaining room. I'm guessing this one will actually sound pretty good.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

It's a National, and it looks to be late 50s, early 60s, judging by the bridge plate and the knobs. These were considered student grade lap steels when they were built, but these models with the string-though pickup have a lively, gritty tone that sounds especially good through a small amp, as Mark said.
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

I have the same guitar in near mint condition with original case and paid $600 Canadian about 5 years ago. That was before I discovered shopping for lap steels on eBay and had a better sense of its real value in a much larger NA market. Can't say I regret it, though. Great little guitar and the only one I have with the Valco pickup.
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Hi Clayton,

I live in Ontario as well and have seen the listing for this guitar. I think it's too high. But there's been a few on craigslist and kijji that are priced a bit better. These might be ok:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/brantford ... nFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/peterboro ... nFlag=true
Lee Holliday

Post by Lee Holliday »

It depends on condition and also this may be one with only 1/2 magnets & 1/2 wood under the cover.
Really nice condition with case $300-350 from what else is available out there as there are currently some nice Oahu,s & Supro,s on Ebay for that currently available.

Keep us all in the picture.

Lee
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

Clayton ,
That first link that Joe posted - the one in Brantford - looks like a National Chicagoan. I have one and absolutely love it. Nice for country but you can make it wail for rock/blues. Good luck.
David K