ALL PULL changer Diagram (and how it works)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Metz Jr.

ALL PULL changer Diagram (and how it works)

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

I am looking into the idea of building a steel guitar. I have a general Idea of how a changer works, but I am fairly confused about how it is all connected. Rivets? Etc.
Does anyone have a good diagram, or could someone draw something up to show me how it works and where connections are made? I looked at the carter site and that doesn't really help me, as the changers are different in the still shot, and the animated shot. I also want to see the underside of a franklin. I have never seen a franklin changer and I am very interested. Thanks
Thanks a bunch!
Jeff
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Jeff, if you haven't already, you might want to check out the Steel Guitar Builders Forum:

http://steelguitarbuilder.com/forum/index.php

The traffic there is a little low and slow, but there are some very knowledgeable and helpful members.

This is not an answer to your question, but I hope it helps. Good luck with your projects.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

if you have patience, good eyes and a lot of time, searching Google Patents will get you enough info to melt your brain.

"pitch changing mechanism for stringed instruments" and various other similar searches along with names like Bud Carter, Gene Fields, an other notable designers/ builders will be helpful too
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Jeff Metz Jr.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Can someone just tell me how the raise finger moves the changer finger? It appears the lower finger moves back allowing the tension from the string itself to roll the changer finger forward. The raise finger appears to sit beside the changer finger. Is there a catch of some sort? I really need this sorted out.....my head hurts.
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112