Which Guitar for Double Duty?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Slaughter

Which Guitar for Double Duty?

Post by Ben Slaughter »

For all of you that do double duty on PSG and 6-string, how do you do it? Sit at PSG, and stand for 6-string? Sit for both? What type of 6-string do you use? Do you put it down when your playing PSG? Do you sling it around back?

I've done quite a bit of DD, and it looks like I'll be doing more, but I've yet to find a situation that I really like. I sing too, so that makes it even more complicated.

The best setup I say was Terry Kristopherson at the Crystal Palace in Bakersfield. He had his PSG raised up and sat on a stool to play, then easily got up to play 6-string.

Also, he was playing one of those really small electric guitar that string backwards. Been thinking about getting one of those, but I can't remember what they are called. Anyone know??

Just looking for tips.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, TubeFex, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I prefer to put the six string down when I play steel and stand when I play it. I've seen Dick Meis play steel while wearing his six string electric and he does it effortlessly. Then again, Dick does a lot of things effortlessly - fantastic player and showman. For me, I just find the guitar hanging around my neck interferes with my ability to play. As for small guitars, I have a cool little Erlewine "Chiquita", like the ones advertised in the classifieds of Guitar Player and as seen on "Back to the Future" and "Return of Spinal Tap". It has a single humbucker. It is a great little toy
and sounds very good, but is not what most people would consider a "country" guitar. When I want to twang I'm inclined to reach for my Tele.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 10 September 2004 at 10:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Allan Todd

Post by Allan Todd »

bump
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I don't do it anymore but for many years when I was playing full time I used a Strat or Tele. Since I've always played with a thumbpick and fingerpicks on guitar it was easy. I'd just leave the guitar strapped on and up a little higher than I'd normally have it when standing or just enough so it wouldn't be resting on my leg. I've always preferred a single neck (single wide) guitar also. I don't know if this setup would work with a double neck guitar as the inside neck might get in the way. I worked up a lot of things over time where I could play instrumental breaks going from lead to steel on the same break without missing a lick. The key there was the same as Junior Brown does where you find a note somewhere in the scale of the key you're in to pick open while you're either picking up or setting down your bar. I eventually got a HipShot string bending device and started using that behind my steel also as to activate it the neck moves forward instead of down. I might be doing this again as the band I'm going to start with this weekend only has acoustic guitar, bass, & drums so I'll be the only lead instrument.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I remember seeing some clips of a later Buck Owens band that had a wonderful steel player who also played "underarm" guitar. He used a Steinberger headless instrument and played both seated and VERY well.
Ben Slaughter

Post by Ben Slaughter »

Bill, that must have been Terry working with the Buckarros. And yes, it is Steinberger that I was looking for. Looks like Honer makes a "licensed" copy. I'm gonna try to get a local dealer to demo one. Doesn't look like the Steinbergers are easy to get ahold of. Guess who owns them?? Gibson. Appears that Ned Steinberger got out of the guitar business a while ago.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Slaughter

Post by Ben Slaughter »

MLA check your mail, I may want that guitar.
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

Ben,

Rebel against the machine and burn your pedals! I did and now double on guitar and standing at my 8 string which is on a heavey duty keyboard stand. I really love PSG but needed to get away from stuff that was really burning me out and not being able to relate to...geez, I hope I'm not gettin' old.

When I did double on the pedals the band was real good at "stacking the songs" so that I wasn't continually up and down...I perfered to play guitar standing up. On a few songs if I tried real hard I could play both on one song but picks on/off was a challange.
I've since learned to play guitar with the finger picks...

Tom Jordan
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toby Rider

Post by Toby Rider »

The Gibson Blueshawk works well too, because it has a really tiny body..
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I use my Tele and sometimes just use my Twin for both instruments.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

In order to play my semi-adequate best on either instrument, I have to do a complete switch - fingerpicks and sitting for PSG, flatpick and standing for guitar.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Why not get one of those fancy stands that you can mount the guitar on and set the mounted guitar up on one side of the steel so all you would have to do is just turn sideways on the seat and play it. I have seen several big time guitarist set several guitars up on those things and just walk behind them and play. I think they are called Grace or Gracie Stands or something like that.
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I put the guitar on its stand when I play steel. I negotiate with the band members so all the 'steel' songs are together in the set list, that way I can avoid switching back and forth. I play with distortion most of the time, so I run both guitars into one amp and switch between them with an A/B box.
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

<SMALL>In order to play my semi-adequate best on either instrument, I have to do a complete switch - fingerpicks and sitting for PSG, flatpick and standing for guitar</SMALL>
Same here David. I really wish I coul;d play my six string sittin at my steel , but it's nex to imposible to do for me.

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

I've been doing this for almost 30 years myself.(since I first saw Dick Meiss BTW...and I can testify that Junior got the idea from Dick too...although he'd probably never admit it. Image)
I plug the steel and guitar into an A+B box with individiual gain controls, then plug into the volume pedal. Nowdays I also use a midi switcher mounted on my steel for different settings for each axe on a profex. The big trick was learning to play guitar with fingerpicks (and sometimes steel with a flat pick. Image)

My big "secret" though is something that usually sends most other steelers gasping in horror....I tilt the back legs at a fairly extreme "hot-rodded" looking angle and I sit up almost six inches higher that the average pack-a-seat will go. This allows plenty of room to hold a solid body guitar without feeling claustraphobic...great for singing too! I've been accused of showboating by doing this (because the audience really can see what my hands are doing), but it's really just a matter of personal ergonomics.

I've also noticed that sitting up higher like this allows me to play my heavier tensioned KL's (like my KLR & RKR) with alot less effort/more leverage. Plus I NEVER hit the steel with my guitar set up like this.

This is not for everyone I know, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Schmidt on 12 September 2004 at 11:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

I play a strat along with my psg. I usually bring two amps. I stay seated on the double duty songs. Also, I will use the thumb pick to play the strat, and play the psg with the thumb pick and no finger picks. The psg tone suffers somewhat because of it, but I think I am the only person in the room that knows it.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan
Bill Bassett

Post by Bill Bassett »

It's been a few years since I set up to play both but I have been called upon to do it. I first heard and saw a fellow named Rick Dunn playing his Fender 1000 with a Tele in his lap. He could switch back and forth seamlessly. He is great at the rock-a-billy stuff.

I found the best shaped guitar for this application to be the Gibson SG. It's small, light and just works for me.
(This from the guy with a Telecaster tattoo on his arm)

I've also seen standard 6 string necks grafted onto steel guitars. Gene Fields' comes to mind.

BD
Rimrock AZ