fender volume tone combination volume pedals

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rod Bailey

fender volume tone combination volume pedals

Post by Rod Bailey »

I would like to know ( on an old fender volume tone combo pedal ) what the tone pot should be rated at as far as 250k or 500k or what ??? the only information on mine says : AB type J # 015503 and nothing more. The volume pot reads : Clarostat type EJ extralife 500k . I need to replace it ,but don't know what to replace it with. I mainly use the pedal in my pedal board for the telecaster. Any info. some one can give would be greatly appreciated. thank you ! Rod
ROBERT MYERS

Post by ROBERT MYERS »

Rod I don't know about the pots, but I just got one of the old pedals and the string is broken on the tone pot. Do you happen to know how it is routed in there?
Thanks, Bob
Bob Myers Pedalmaster Classic 8 & 7 Profex2 Peavey M7000 Power Amp 2 15in speakers Nashville 400 Digitech RP 100 67 Fender Duo-sonic 69 Fender Mustang
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Here you go.

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Rod Bailey

early fender volume / tone pedals

Post by Rod Bailey »

Robert , the picture posted here by Jon Light is exactly like mine and it is not that hard to repair, just takes a little patience. Can either of you tell what the tone pot in your pedal says ? And I assume yours are the older pedals as well .
Aaron Jennings

Post by Aaron Jennings »

Hello Rod,

Many people use a 1 Meg (1000k) Linear Taper pot to get that classic 'Doo-Wah' sound. Todd Clinesmith has some for sale in the 'Accessories' section of the forum.

Most fender underarm guitars (in my limited experience) have a 250K or 500K tone pot with an audio taper.

This ends up being largely a matter of preference and utility. If you're using this on a telecaster - you probably already have tone control with a 250K/500K pot on your guitar.

Pots are cheap! I recommend you get a couple values, and some alligator clips. Try swapping them around and see which one suits your needs best!

I see that you hail from Montana - if you're anywhere Missoula, get in touch and we can check it out together!