Shapes of lap steels

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tony Palmer

Shapes of lap steels

Post by Tony Palmer »

Ok just because all a lapsteel has to have is a tuning head, a neck with fret markers, a pickup and a bridge, do they have to be just boring, straight parallel planks of wood?
I wish the whole genre of lapsteels looked more like guitars, since they ARE actually guitars.
Yes the aluminum fry pan is a classic and the vintage ones from the 40's - 60's have a cool retro factor (probably only to other players) but seriously, I'm getting tired of the homemade cigar box types, even saw one made out of a shovel.
I wish our beloved instruments had a little more classy look to them.
I really love the Archer, Lap King, etc.
Oh well, just venting I guess, they all sound good but it's nice to see someone playing a guitar that actually looks like a guitar!
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
George Piburn

Soothing Photo

Post by George Piburn »

Hopefully this photo will help ease your mind, this is about as non-parallel shapely as I can get them. :)

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Yeah that's what I'm talking about George!
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

😊

Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

A classic shape...
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

...or this.

John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Wow! My faith is restored! Those are some beauties.
Keith Glendinning

Post by Keith Glendinning »

Tony,
You've seen what the professional builders can make. Now here are a couple I've made for myself. The bodies were made from a piece of scaffold board and the other bits are just from stuff I had available.
Tommy Adams

10 string beauty

Post by Tommy Adams »

I totally agree that they can and should have a better shape to them.

Will this one count?

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Wow they just keep getting more and more good looking. There's no question building s lap steel lends itself to more artistic expression that certainly a pedal steel and to a lesser extent a regular guitar does, so it's nice to see these beauties.
I suppose I started this thread when I showed up at a jam with an old lap steel I've since sold and no matter what I played, "I" perceived it was seen as more of a novelty guitar rather than a legitimate instrument and I found myself wishing I had something better looking ;)
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

How about my PAN - AMERICAN, including my Boss!

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

How about this one:

Aaron Jennings

Post by Aaron Jennings »

There's a local builder in Missoula, Montana - Rukavina Guitars. I really appreciate the unique designs he applies to lap steels. Just a touch of asymmetry.

Here's a custom piece he recently finished that I had the pleasure of seeing in person:

and here is a run of production steels he is currently working on, including a new 'retro' design:
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

When you want that sweet Fender tone in a bit different shape.

Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

I've shown this one before: the StrapSteel, made for stand-up playing:

It's asymmetrical to keep the weight closer to the player's body.
Robert Allen

Re: Shapes of lap steels

Post by Robert Allen »

Tony Palmer wrote: do they have to be just boring, straight parallel planks of wood?
Maybe because many people only want to pay for a 2x4.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Whoaaa Tom,,,another masterpiece!!!!!
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Tony what about My lap steel I bought from a guy up in Canada for $400.00 and it is one that Mark Dinbury Built. I love this lap steel it is tuned C-6 and it dsounds eal good. I play it now as I sold my Pedal Steel but plan on getting another pedal Steel in about a year. So what i do when i play out on tuesday every week i use my Dobro and i play the Dyna lap Steel at home.I also play the Dobro and I'm going to work the Lap Steel in a little later in Church. Hope you are doing fine as I have a pace maker and defibulator in me had A hernia operation two moths ago and Cadarac Sergery on my left eye atwo weeks ago and then they are going to raise my dropping eye lids. I'm doing fine and I keep busy around the 3/4Acre property and I have 6 R.I. Red Chickens and a large 25 by 45 Garden and a straberry garden. Take care.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

check out johnie kings zking steels.
beautiful lapsteel art!
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I've posted this before. Seems appropriate again. One I built. It's natural maple over stained maple. It's hollow under the neck and sound board.
Alan Simon

Post by Alan Simon »

Here's my Rukavina 8. Doesn't get anymore off the wall than this. Great guitar, by the way.
I guess you haven't seen any of Johnie Kings creations. Good stuff.

Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

My MSA Superslide. Prettiest lap steel I've ever seen! Best lap steel I've ever played!

Image[/img]
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Larry G. Allen

Post by Larry G. Allen »

How about these Tony ? The only limitation on the shape is comfort and playability.Image

Image[/img]
A couple of Martin Armpit Gits , , a couple of my own custom S8 laps, and a Gold Tone JB Dobro