Today's music isn't any good.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

b0b

Post by b0b »

Stefan Robertson wrote:Here's a cover version of his latest album with just an acoustic guitar and an amazing female vocalist covering it. Good thing is you can hear the lyrics clearly and appreciate what is also being said.

http://youtu.be/hl-jTixt6C0
That's really incredible music.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Mike oh my goodness. Yesssss. I'm getting all of Thundercats recordings. I watched a live gig video. He is amazingly good at bass. Creative ideas a plenty. I love this. The first new fresh artist I've heard in months. The last one was Robert glasper.

Thanks.

Right on Mike. Reminded me of why I got bored playing Girl from Ipanema and All the things you are. I've heard about ten or more versions of the Same song. Nothing new. But I love creative sounds and approaches that truly paint a sonic landscape like Hwndrix once did while melding all the new musical exposure. Awesome. Thundercat is now up there as a fav. Apple Music tonight. Thundercat.
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

One last suggestion for some great new music. This band has gotten a lot of attention, and deservedly so. Hiatus Kaiyote, out of Australia. Lots to like here.

Nakamarra:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr4KsZBTvQ
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Re: Mike Neer's last posting, an original artist; '... all you need to have is friends with good taste in music.'

The posts on this thread indicate a fallacy in the statement 'Today's music isn't any good.'
I've heard more fresh stuff from 'kids' here that I wonder what my generation and 'the greatest generation' have been doing. :eek:
Listening to the words alone, there has been some transcendence from the sixties and the eighties, something us old fuddy-duddies
might not have predicted or thought possible. It may be that we're not hearing or listening like we say we are.

An end to good music: a preposterous idea that could take hold if we promoted it in our complacency and certainty that it could happen.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Just came here to say that Ibanez really needs to make a Thundercat sig Artcore bass.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Dustin Rigsby wrote:I like Easton Corbin...he's pretty good. Does that count ? I think an earlier post nailed it dead on. It's not really very organic anymore. Van Halen always left the mistakes on the records. Eddie says"it's all about the vibe"....
Corbin's new stuff is about as bubblegum Nashville as can be.
b0b

Post by b0b »

There was a point where I stopped listening to pop music entirely, not because it was all bad, but because I couldn't understand the good stuff. I think the key is to hang and play with younger musicians. Learn a few of their songs. I've been playing bass lately with a young band. While I don't get the attraction of some of the songs, I have to admit that they have something that speaks to the audience. Lyrics, in particular, have become quite sophisticated in recent years. Good poetry.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

b0b wrote:There was a point where I stopped listening to pop music entirely, not because it was all bad, but because I couldn't understand the good stuff. I think the key is to hang and play with younger musicians. Learn a few of their songs. I've been playing bass lately with a young band. While I don't get the attraction of some of the songs, I have to admit that they have something that speaks to the audience. Lyrics, in particular, have become quite sophisticated in recent years. Good poetry.
One of the things that I've read quite a bit on the SGF is that they (the posters) don't really listen to the lyrics or pay much attention to the vocals. I'm bewildered by that.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I read an essay recently (should have saved it) pointing out that, contrary to what people think, classical music and poetry are firmly established and appreciated today. Good, new classical music is almost essential to the success of blockbuster films. Good, new poetry is pervasive in pop music lyrics.

The author argues that the highbrow music and poetry establishment abandoned the best qualities of their arts with movements like serialism and free verse. But the general public still appreciates harmony and rhyme as timeless artistic qualities. They support those qualities in film (today's largest artistic medium) and in song (today's most personal artform).

All you have to do is listen.
Charlie McDonald

Indeed, b0b, and playing bass puts one in the best position, like the best conductors come from the cello section--but that's beside the point.

Reading Eddie Vetter interviewed in Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head, younger artists are serious about what they say.
We may have gotten burnt and distracted by rap, but the trend continues to relevant lyrics, and they're trying to make it cohesive with music.
Objections from the old remind me of 'So much resistance, far behind...' that we heard in the sixties.
We can go along and support, or carp and just become older and more out of touch.
I've said too much, but too much has been said on the other side of the fence; makes me turn to de-fence.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Charlie McDonald wrote: We may have gotten burnt and distracted by rap, but the trend continues to relevant lyrics, and they're trying to make it cohesive with music.
What is exactly are you saying about rap? Its not my favorite genre to listen to but the real deal stuff was as relevant to its culture as any music out there.
Charlie McDonald

Merely expressing an opinion that it isn't good melody or good poetry.
Such statements come from saying too much.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Charlie McDonald wrote:Merely expressing an opinion that it isn't good melody or good poetry.
Such statements come from saying too much.
I'm glad you said "opinion".
Charlie McDonald

Is there anything about a music topic that isn't opinion? I thought the global conversation had gotten past that.

To further beat a dead horse and since I'm feeling argumentative today and my PPD Index (posts per day) has passed the point of no return the discussion has turned to artistry,
and I cite this link http://youtu.be/hl-jTixt6C0.

I did say that the trend continues to relevance; there is nothing more relevant to the world condition than rap lyrics, but they're designed
to elicit angry responses, abetted by cheap production values (a drum machine) and hackneyed rhymes that would have Shakespeare
leaving the room. To exploit lyrics well, the music must be in keeping, unlike the mindless thump thump that you hear from the car next to you at a stoplight.

To convey the message beyond merely visceral responses requires some artistry that rap and hip hop don't display.
It's not an unusual opinion, and one that will have a vocalist capable of singing eventually outstrip an urban mysogynist retiring to his man cave in disgust. It takes a melody to make good poetry work in music.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I hear a lot more traditional R&B elements in today's hip-hop than I did ten years ago. I'm hearing chord progressions behind intelligent rap poetry, real bands and artists that can actually sing. Drum machines are still used in teen pop and as a click trick foundation, but most hip-hop acts and major pop acts today employ master percussionists on stage in addition to rhythmic technology.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Mike thats good stuff you found there. It has a funky motown feel to it. I like it.
Aaron Jennings

Post by Aaron Jennings »

Thundercat. Whoah. Whoah!

Thank you.

A current Nashvillian who I believe is writing unique, new music, with a personalized touch is Cory Branan.

I know several songwriters who are obsessed with him.
Here's two good ones that showcase his songwriting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPICNilzbMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuXvb4piXVA
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Aaron his guitar style (first song) reminded me of this T- Bone Burnett number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUpA98v1fo8
Good tip!
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

...intelligent rap poetry...
Oxymoron? :?
Jamie Mitchell

Post by Jamie Mitchell »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
http://youtu.be/TSV6RlStK1o

http://youtu.be/MJCHeEQV454
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
I do really like a lot of rap. In the 80s, I got into it just as much as I got into rock, maybe more. I would consider myself as someone who appreciates the music of black culture more than white. Maybe it is the place I grew up in (Newark, NJ area), our radio stations played a lot of soul when I was a little kid, and the sounds of Curtis Mayfield and Stevie and Marvin Gaye were my first really deep exposures to music.

My point is, it would be a waste of time to sit here and try to convince you that there is a lot of very intelligent rap--You'll have to trust me, because I know you are not going to listen to it.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

I apreciated and respected hip hop right up until about 1995.
There are a few tastefule and talented rappers out now but mostly trashy offensive stuff.

Like all genres hip hop is no diferent. The underground scene is where you will find the recording artist more true and dedicated to the music and song writing than aspiring for theyre "5 minutes" of fame.
Barry Blackwood

My point is, it would be a waste of time to sit here and try to convince you that there is a lot of very intelligent rap--You'll have to trust me, because I know you are not going to listen to it.
You are correct, sir. Ah, my loss I guess...
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Always a delight seeing people proud of their close mindedness.
Barry Blackwood

Pleased to oblige you, my judgmental friend.. :)