Kenny Serrat Passed Away

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Earl Briggs

Kenny Serrat Passed Away

Post by Earl Briggs »

my long time friend and band leader kenny serrat passed away on monday please keep his family in all your prayers.........earl
Bill Bailey

Kenny

Post by Bill Bailey »

:( "Good By Comes Hard For Me" Rest in peace Kenny.
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

I truely hate to hear this, as I got to work with Kenny when he came through Oklahoma back in the early 70's. He was a true gentlemen and great entertainer. We extend our deepest sympathies to Kenny's family.
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Prayers to all the family..He was a GREAT singer and dear friend..
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I got to play Steel Guitar with Kenny at the Grapevine Opry of Texas and at their Branson, Missouri show in the early 1980s. He was a Great Guy and heck of a singer! Prayers for his Family and Friends!
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

such a great singer and as humble about it as can be. did a tour with hag', 'cause he sounded spot on. just like 'im. which came first, the chicken or the egg.
originally from north arkansas. r.i.p. there'll never be another....

country jack....
Graham

Post by Graham »

He was a good friend of Merle's' brother Lowell. Lowell sent some of Kenny's music to Merle, he liked it and produced Kenny's first lp "Love and Honor in 1973.

That lp featured the song "Goodbye Comes Hard For Me" mentioned in the post above.

I was turned on to Kenny and his music by Bobby Bowman. Now they are both gone. R.I.P.
Rebel�
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Sad news indeed,Kenny recorded a song my band wrote back in the 80's called Queen of the Road . RIP
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

Gladi got to play steel behind him in the mid 70's. Hell of a singer and a great guy to boot.
Keep pickin', Larry
Jay Dee Maness

Kenny

Post by Jay Dee Maness »

Goodbye to an old,old friend.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

How sad... way back when I was 20 ('70 or so), Tiny Moore gave my name, and a good friend (a Sacramento area drummer) to Lowell Haggard.... as they were putting together a band for Kenny... seems I remember it was George and Tammy, with Jerry Lee Lewis on the show.

Kenny was very excited.. we would get together down at Merle's studio for rehearsals... all very exciting for me the youngster steeler... Jimmy Nichols was on guitar....

Unfortunately two weeks before the tour, some other touring act came back into Bakersfield... and me and my drummer friend were sent back to Sacramento. Could even have been Jay Dee who replaced me.... I just don't remember now.

I've often wondered how Kenny's career went after that... sad he is gone. He was a super nice guy... and I was lucky to meet him at the start of both of our careers in music.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Earl Briggs

Kenny Serrat Passed Away

Post by Earl Briggs »

Kenny passed away last monday,of a stroke.in montana.were he had his ranch.he lived up there during the summer and came back to texas for the fall and winter.he had been playing at the wylie opry since 1993 during the time he was down here each year.still had a great voice till the end.was coming back in september i first met him when i was 15.he will be missed....... earl
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

One heck of a good singer,songwriter,and superb friend. I got to work with Kenny several times when he was in Texas. Rest in peace my brother
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

RIP Kenny Serrat! I still sing your song our old friend Merle Haggard wrote,and it's for sure," Good Byes come hard for me". :cry:Uncle: Leo J Eiffert Jr just A Traditional Country Musician/Artist hanging on to our History!
Dale Bennett

Kenny Serrat

Post by Dale Bennett »

Wow Earl, that makes 3 great friends we have lost in the last couple of weeks. I thought the world of Kenny, he would drop by and do some songs when he came thru OKC. Like every other singer I still do Good Byes come hard for me, I can't do it nearly as good but people still like the song. Gosh, Al, Boomer and now Kenny. RIP guys, we all love you. db
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I was 14 when Good Byes Comes Hard For Me came out. The first time I heard, I thought it was Merle singing it. Kenny was truly a talented singer. Sad to say there hardly no more legends left, to look up to. I pray God's Angels will comfort his family at this time.