Different bars for E9, C6?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Drew Pierce

Different bars for E9, C6?

Post by Drew Pierce »

I've been playing around with an old Dunlop 12-string bar lately that I used long ago and finding it really sounds good on the E9 neck of my Emmons push pull. But I also notice that the same bar doesn't sound as good on the C6 neck as the 15/16 10-string BJS bar that I've been using regularly for the last few years. Both bars weigh about the same, but the Dunlop is longer and thinner, while the BJS is shorter and fatter. Without getting into a brand name shootout, has anybody noticed that the two necks on a double 10 may work better with different tone bars?
Drew Pierce
Emmons D10 Fatback, S10 bolt-on, Zum D10, Evans RE500, Hilton volume and delay pedals.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

No, but I have noticed some geometries work better with certain styles.
Not by which neck, but by what I'm playing.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've never considered a different bar for each tuning. If one bar is good enough for the "pros" such as Buddy, Herby, Paul, etc it is good enough for me.

There are differences in tone depending on the metal composition and surface. The BJS bars are chrome plated. I don't think the Dunlop is. I notice a slight difference in tone between my BJS (chrome plated) and Bullet bar (stainless steel).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I just like the feel and sound of a zirc bar. :D
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'd stick with the bjs bar. it may just take getting a little more familiar with the c6 neck.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

The two necks sound different for physical as well as musical reasons. Question is, do you want to celebrate the difference or iron it out?

[Now having seen Chris's post I would add that it took me longer to get a C6 sound I enjoyed]
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Drew Pierce

Post by Drew Pierce »

I've been using the BJS bar for the last four or five years. Before the other day, I'd never used anything but the same bar on both necks for the last forty years or so. Never even thought of it. But the two necks have very different tonal and physical characteristics, so it's not such a wild notion that they might have different bar requirements for optimal performance.

To be more precise, to my ears, the larger diameter BJS bar sounds a bit fatter, which works great on the C6 but tends to sound a bit muddy on the E9. The slimmer Dunlop, OTOH, sounds a little cleaner and clearer on the E9, but doesn't really rock the C6 like the BJS does.
Drew Pierce
Emmons D10 Fatback, S10 bolt-on, Zum D10, Evans RE500, Hilton volume and delay pedals.
John Boogerd

Post by John Boogerd »

Erv Niehaus wrote:I just like the feel and sound of a zirc bar. :D
Me too. I really like the zirc bar another member has loaned me. It sounds good and it feels good.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

John,
In this cold north country where I live, it feels a lot warmer in my hand that a steel bar. :D
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I love my Bullet Bars.
I have 5 of them.
I used to use the BJS bar and just the other day I tested my 15/16" Bullet Bar vs. my 15/16" BJS bar
and noticed right away that the Bullet Bar's tone was stronger and brighter and had more sustain.
Case closed for me.
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

All other factors being equal, I find that a smaller bar tends to sound cleaner, to me, and more "focused" than a larger bar. I suspect this has something to do with the larger diameter bar having a larger string-contact area. Lately, I've found that overall sound is more important than sustain, so I use my larger bars less frequently.
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Donny
I find what you say to be true.
My 7/8" Bullet bars also out match my 7/8" BJS bar.
I have talked to Jim Burden(Bullet Bars) about this at one of our FSGC jams and he explained to me the
high quality SS he uses which is very hard to machine which gives the high quality tone.
All my bars are the same weight as I have them bored out.
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Using a different bar for different necks on the same guitar sounds like an absurd waste of time. I like to use various bars but the neck I use them on makes no difference at all to me.

Btw, both theDunlop and BJS bars are chromed. The Dunlop is crappy chromed and the BJS is perfectly chromed.
Bob
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Ian Rae wrote:The two necks sound different for physical as well as musical reasons. Question is, do you want to celebrate the difference or iron it out?
In my experience I have found that there is no difference in tone between the the E9 or C6 necks on any steel I have ever owned or played. The range and intervalic relationships are different but the tone/sound is the same.
Bob
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

yes

I don't want my C neck to sound like my E neck and as E said, a Zirc bar removes a little zing ...

sure I could make changes at the amp but I don't want to in a live situation .. I even use different bars for different songs ..different amps too..
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

But how accessable is it to buy a zirc bar? Are they making them again?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I don't know Richard.. It was VERY expensive for a tone bar but I think it was worth it.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I tried a 3/4 inch bar. But for the sustain and mellower tone. I recently upgraded to a 1 inch bar. I have noticed for years the pros using a one inch bar. Jim Lindsey told me, about the size bar. I have never used one size bar for one neck and another size for the other. Not only Jim but Hal Higgins also taught me about intonation. Intonation when executed properly will give you the proper tone and sustain you need. Hal told me in order to get good tone it is in the way you control the bar. And the way you attack the strings with you picks. Along with proper bar placement. is all that matters. And that is when you place the bar on the strings, you place the bar over the fret line on the neck. Steel guitar is like playing violin, on violin you could move your finger, on the neck by 1/1000 of an inch either waym and you could be sharp or flat. Same thing with the bar. You can move the bar the same off of the fret line on the neck. And your tone would be sharp and flat.
Jimmy Gibson

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

I have been using the same 1"dia bar for over 40 years on both necks, sounds great it has Dekley stamped on the flat end.

Jimmy..
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

I agree with Bob - seems like a waste of effort.
However, while I don't think the necks sound different from each other inherently, the difference in string gauges does produce a different tone on the same note. As in, if both necks were tuned the same they would sound the same, but with the back neck being lower there is a different tone than the front neck on the same notes. It is one reason I prefer a d10.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Also I can't stand the Dunlop bars. The mids are a little weak as well as the highs - perhaps you like that sound on your front neck? Do you feel it has too much bite with the bjs?