Henriksen Bud/JazzAmp (Update 8/30 w/ Travis Toy speaker)

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Waligoske

Henriksen Bud/JazzAmp (Update 8/30 w/ Travis Toy speaker)

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Hey Steelers,

I'm mostly just posting this to maybe turn some folks onto an amp/company that's local to me here in Colorado that just released a cool new "mini" model that actually sounds pretty good with Pedal Steel... and the size/features are really making my life easy for steel and lots of other stuff too, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Henriksen Amplification is the company and "The Bud" is their new model... 120 Watts Solid State, 6.5" Eminence, 17lbs, and has two independently EQ'd (5 band) channels each with individual reverb, phantom power, an Aux input for iPod/backing tracks, plus both a line out and extension speaker jacks...

Full disclosure, one of the gentlemen that works at the shop has done repairs on my Fender amps in the past, so that's how I came to know about them, but I've objectively been really happy with the product so far and thought some of the folks on the Forum might be looking for a similar solution... I've used it extensively at home for learning songs and low volume/headphone practice, but it also kept up just fine at a rehearsal last week with drums, bass, etc. in a small room... really a cool little amp for all that, small gigs, multiple instruments etc. Does it sound like a Twin with JBLs? No... but to my ears it sounds pretty good and you can practically put the thing in a backpack.

And, I haven't tried it with an extension speaker yet, but I have an empty 12" speaker cab that I plan on loading up with something suited for steel (any suggestions??) and will report back on how that sounds....

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but worth a gander... lots of videos w/ different instruments at the following link: http://jazzamp.com/product/jazzamp/the-bud/

Happy Steelin'!
Last edited by Ben Waligoske on 30 Aug 2015 12:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Oh and here's a shot of it with another Bud to illustrate the size...

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k55 ... 1znjcm.jpg
Jerry Berger

Post by Jerry Berger »

Hey Ben.....Shouldn't you have a "Coors" beer next to that amp? Just say'n. :lol:
Last edited by Jerry Berger on 31 Jul 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Hah! Got me there. Although if I really had my way it would be a nice frosty Colorado IPA :-) But Bud was in the fridge that day!
Phillip Walker

Post by Phillip Walker »

I use the Henriksen Bud for solo, band & recording gigs. A GFI Ultra pedal steel (C6) thru a Line 6 Amplifi FX 100 lets me tune my sounds (via iPad). The amp is super quiet & with the extension speaker gives over 200 watts RMS.

The 5 band EQ is amazing as a start point for any room...
Songwriter & musician (all types of steel - especially 8 string C6 non pedal) who has retired from IT & now working on my original tunes in my home studio. (Pity 'bout the beer fridge!)
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Great to hear you're having success as well Phillip. I am about to order one of the new Travis Toy model Eminence speakers to use in a Henriksen 1x12 extension cab, really looking forward to trying that out...
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Just a quick update, I've been continuing to use the Bud with its built in speaker successfully for all sorts of purposes - steel practice/lower volume gigs and rehearsals, lots of different instruments and vocals, and so forth. But, I have been waiting to try it with a bigger speaker and finally (basically) had that chance...

I ordered one of the new Travis Toy speakers through Jim at Steel Guitar's of North County, and the guys at Henriksen were able to set me up with a 1x12 cabinet WITH one of their JazzAmp power sections installed.

The JazzAmp is functionally the same as The Bud - 120watts, 5-way EQ, Reverb, etc... and with the TT speaker this turned into a really sweet setup! Super defined and punchy, and as loud as I'd ever need for a gig (plus still has an XLR line out for PA) - and it's probably 25-30lbs or so? I haven't weighed it but it's light! I'm a happy steeler!
Last edited by Ben Waligoske on 6 Sep 2015 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

I couldn't get a photo to upload on the Forum tool, so here's a link to a photo. It's a bit of a "prototype" so it doesn't look fancy but she sounds great!

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k55 ... prltul.jpg
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Ben, I'm so glad you're enjoying the speaker. I put a lot of time and effort into it's creation, and it's nice to to see it being used in a lot of different scenarios with great results. Cheers!!!
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Right on Travis, thanks for all the work you put into developing the speaker! I adore it so far.

The guys at Henriksen Amplification were really impressed with the overall design/specs of the speaker as well - seems like a winner!
Last edited by Ben Waligoske on 28 Aug 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Gotta check that out, Ben--just loaded my TT into a Telonics cab this afternoon and will take it out for a couple of gigs this weekend with an MB200...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Sam Rothwell

Post by Sam Rothwell »

I just ordered a Bud amp to be here next week. :)
Sam Rothwell of Eagle, Idaho plays a MSA Millennium S12U 8 x 5 with Hilton, Sarno CTP, Furlong VB12P, Steelseat.com, Stroborack, Henriksen Bud. Happy Trails ALL !
Sam Rothwell

Post by Sam Rothwell »

Yup, the Bud gets it. Nice size and weight. Now to order the gig bag....
Sam Rothwell of Eagle, Idaho plays a MSA Millennium S12U 8 x 5 with Hilton, Sarno CTP, Furlong VB12P, Steelseat.com, Stroborack, Henriksen Bud. Happy Trails ALL !
Ben Waligoske

Post by Ben Waligoske »

Funny you say that, I was just at the shop the other week and picked up a bag myself. I believe they have a fresh stock of them. Handy little package, for sure...