Suite Steel (The Pedal steel Guitar Album) 1970

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Yep still got my original vynl record of Suite Steel, and also Pacific Steel Co ... I must get someone to transfer these on to CD at some stage - it was ground breaking stuff for me :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I remember Buddy commenting on Pete's playing when they did "Yesterday" together (with both of them playing just pedal steel). Buddy did his lead with Pete playing the rhythm and counterpoint behind him. Then, when it came time for Pete to play lead, and Buddy to play behind him, in Buddy's own words, "The whole bottom just dropped out of the song"...showing that Buddy was pretty impressed with how Pete did the backup. :D
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Paddy Long wrote:I must get someone to transfer these on to CD at some stage - it was ground breaking stuff for me :D
Here's an idea: you can send it to J. David Carrera who can transfer it to CD...
or to me....:D

Ok, I'll stay out of it. Just an idea.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Graham

Post by Graham »

Copy for sale in England on Ebay - 10 pounds (15.74 U.S. $'s)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIOUS-ARTISTS ... 20ffd3a948

Also one in Holland: 8.95 Euro (10.36 U.S.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUITE-STEEL-the ... 1e9ec839fe

And also something very rare:

http://8tracksrback.ecrater.com/p/80717 ... dal-guitar

Also quite a few copies of Pacific Steel Co. :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Records-/176985 ... el+company
Rebel�
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

removed the files..there were some problems.
Last edited by Olaf van Roggen on 30 Aug 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve takacs

Olaf, downloading question

Post by steve takacs »

Olaf, I need some help downloading if you can give an answer.

I get t the point where WE TRANSFER asks to create a file. When I do that, I then get two choices which are:CANCEL or CHOOSE. The problem is that CANCEL is the only one I can use as it is highlighted. CHOOSE is not. How can I download the file?

I use an OSX operating system. Thanks stevet
Olaf van Roggen

suite steel

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

pm sent
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Wow! I never much cared for Wichita Lineman as a song - sacrilegious, I know - but it could have been written as a steel guitar instrumental! Thanks, Olaf, for my new addiction :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Ian, you're not alone Buddy's playing on Wichita Lineman is exquisite IMHO...Stormy :mrgreen:
Christopher Fedak

Post by Christopher Fedak »

Posting some new info on an old thread: this has now been reissued on CD.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guit ... B07BF7BP91
Fish

Post by Fish »

Christopher - Thanks for the tip!

This CD re-issue is HIGHLY recommended; as far as I know this is the first time it's been digitized from the original tapes. Thanks to Wounded Bird Records and Rhino for re-issuing this.

My two vinyl copies are 48 years old. This new CD version is like having a look at the Sistine Chapel after a good cleaning. Some of the steel tone and dynamics are just staggering. You haven't heard Buddy & Sneaky's duet of "Blackbird" or Buddy's C6th solo on "Turn Any Corner" until you've heard this. Everyone - Rusty Young, Buddy, Red Rhodes, Sneaky Pete and the one and only JayDee Maness - sound wonderful. Only $9.39 at Amazon.

Thanks to John Boylan for making this album happen back in 1970.
Michael Remming

Post by Michael Remming »

I recently purchased this CD from Amazon and have been reliving some memories of my early steel days. This morning on the way to work I had Prodigal (Rusty Young) playing and it made me think of how much I loved Rusty's early playing (before he was lead man for POCO). It's a simple song but his technique and tone are perfect. Have a listen here starts at 8:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnR6wvbkjDk
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Even tho I still have my LP from 1970 I just received the CD and it is really good. I have not listen to my LP in years so it was nice just to plug into my CD player in my pickup and let it rip. I had forgotten just how good it is and so far ahead of it's time back then. It is worth every dime to get in a CD. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Anyone remember the article in Guitar Player Mag around 1971 about the Suite Steel recording? If so I'm looking for the magazine. If someone as copy, what month and year was it?
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Duane Becker wrote:Anyone remember the article in Guitar Player Mag around 1971 about the Suite Steel recording? If so I'm looking for the magazine. If someone as copy, what month and year was it?
According to http://www.musicmansteve.com/Maghome/GuitarPlayer.htm it's:

"September 1972 - GUITAR ON RECORD
Guitar Player September 1972...Volume 6, No. 6 Articles on Recording Studios, Grunt Records, The Selling Of Classical Guitar, Where Are The Jazz Albums?, Suite Steel, A Nashville Recording Session, This Is My Best (Survey of 18 Artists), etc."
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Someone is selling the vinyl "Pacific Steel Co." along with a CD (probably home-burned) on eBay for $25; definitely worth having in your collection, I have the vinyl in mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACIFIC-STEEL- ... SwmBxa4PyK
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Thanks Jim for the reply on the Guitar Player article date. I remember during that time of being in a music store looking through the music magazines and coming across the article. If I remember correctly it goes into some detail on the recording and the steel copedents, at the least, I remember Buddy's setup being posted. Cant remember if the article had the other players copedents. Thanks again.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Donny Hinson wrote:I remember Buddy commenting on Pete's playing when they did "Yesterday" together (with both of them playing just pedal steel). Buddy did his lead with Pete playing the rhythm and counterpoint behind him. Then, when it came time for Pete to play lead, and Buddy to play behind him, in Buddy's own words, "The whole bottom just dropped out of the song"...showing that Buddy was pretty impressed with how Pete did the backup. :D
Yes. Take a listen to the first Burrito Brothers record. When he's not soloing his playing resembles a picked standard guitar. There's no electric guitar player on the record (like on the second one).
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Duane Becker wrote:Anyone remember the article in Guitar Player Mag around 1971 about the Suite Steel recording? If so I'm looking for the magazine. If someone as copy, what month and year was it?
Duane, I have the issue, and can run you a copy of the Suite Steel article if you like.

Here's the record, featuring Buddy Emmons on steel, that inspired the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPrtfE-TBI
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Thanks Donnie for the offer of the copy, I was able to purchase a copy of the mag on amazon. I forgot all about the article until this post jogged my memory. One of my all time favorite steel lps!