Hobbies outside steel guitar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

Bill, careful about those cast bullets in a Glock barrel with its polygonal rifling, especially in a .40 cal!
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Wow, Don, Nice! Unique and fascinating art. And Alan, I guess I wasn't aware that British Railways used roundtables, don't know why I would think otherwise, I've just never seen mention of them. Trains are really cool.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

This covers a couple of my other hobbies.

Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Some pretty incredible folks here...
I need an Emmons!
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Tim Hurst wrote:Bill, careful about those cast bullets in a Glock barrel with its polygonal rifling, especially in a .40 cal!
That subject has been discussed to a great extent . Found to be fiction. The Glock barrel is in fact larger than non Glock's . That in it's self affects accuracy. I went with a Lone Wolf barrel for the accuracy. That takes care of the bulge case problem.
There's no danger with the Glock barrel and cast bullets. The danger is the bulge case with any reload in a Glock.
Bill
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

HowardR Beautiful work!
Tom and Mark thanks for the compliments. Here are a few more. All part of the same project…Food-toads. Don
This first one is a flying toad made of vegetables I often see in Thailand although the body is called a Japanese radish.

Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

My whole family absolutely LOVES your work. I have an 8 6 and 5 y.o. in the house. Make sure you let me know when the book comes out. ..I would love to get one. . or if it's a set. .. so much better. Heck. .. we would go for a set of prints of your toad family just to hang in the kids rooms.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Im pretty much obsessed with my steel but outside of music, my family, my dog, electronics/radio communications. Woodworking/carpentry.
Last edited by Quentin Hickey on 17 Aug 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Another classic car guy here.

Jerry Berger

Post by Jerry Berger »

I like "muscle cars." I enjoy going to cruise in's and watching auto auctions on TV. Here's my muscle car.

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 19 Aug 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Peay

Post by John Peay »

Alan Brookes wrote:I build model railways. I have an extensive layout in my basement which takes up two rooms and part of the crawlspace.

I build and play mediæval musical instruments.
I've been fascinated with early music for many years.

I take stereoscopic (3D) photographs. To view the aircraft photo in 3D you need a pair of red/cyan glasses, as I've displayed it as an anaglyph.

I have a lifetime interest in railways. Here I am at King's Cross Station (London) in 1958.

My other hobbies include Genealogy, Archaeology, Cosmology, Linguistics, Ancient Languages, Model Aircraft, Model Ships, World Travel, Dioramas, Movies, Genetics, Computers, History, Plate Techtonics, oh, and also Star Trek.
Whew, I'm exhausted just reading your list, Alan, very impressive! Makes me wanna take up Jim Cohen's "sport hammocking". But seriously Alan, anyone who can accomplish all that has no business posting in the "Procrastination" thread! :)

...For me, with what little time is left over after family (wife and 2 teenagers), career with travel, and pedal steel; I can hopefully be found fishing some little bass pond; working out; or even the occasional round of golf.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

John Peay wrote:...But seriously Alan, anyone who can accomplish all that has no business posting in the "Procrastination" thread! :)
Thanks John. Yes, I have an active mind, but I have so many projects in my head that I shall get round to "at some time in the future" that I have to procrastinate on a lot of them. There are just so many hours in the day. :lol:
I didn't mention that I play several dozen different musical instruments, which makes me a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. :oops:
As I play in many different styles, I have all sorts of albums in my head that I shall get round to eventually "if the Good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise..." :lol:
http://picosong.com/4MeV
http://picosong.com/4NfM
http://picosong.com/9sBu
http://picosong.com/4N5C
http://picosong.com/5Xrp
http://picosong.com/22FN
Notice that they're all in completely different styles. I spread myself thin.
:\
George Plemons

Post by George Plemons »

I am a metal detector hobbyist. Have AT Pro
Garrett detector. I work on the road a lot as a
Fiber optic tech so I take my detector with me
Everywhere I go. Love finding old stuff. I am working
In Ft. Stockton this week and hope to get to
Hunt around the old Fort.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I used to fly but prices to rent have risen past my comfort level.My other hobby for 38 years has been Ham Radio which I'm pretty active in.

Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

One of my hobbies is photography - some of you may have seen my photos posted here from Scotty's ISGC OR from the Texas Steel Guitar Jam.

I'm STILL playing English rugby. Since the season is over, I will be competing in BC Senior Summer Games track meet Aug. 26 - 29 in 100m, possibly 200m?

This is our OLD uniform.

Our NEW uniform.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Jim, at the school I went to, which had a long tradition of rugby, you could always see kids walking round the playground in casts for broken collar bones and arms. I remember on one occasion, after being tackled, getting up to realise that my head was about half an inch away from the upright post. Another inch further and I might not be posting this now.
We were always told that soccer was a gentlemen's game played by hooligans, whereas rugby was a hooligan's game played by gentlemen. We would have been caned had we been spotted kicking a soccer ball around in the blackground. To us, "football" had only one meaning; rugby; and those of us who went to watch Aston Villa on the weekends kept quiet about it. ;-)
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Team Roping and Bass fishing,I can out rope Herbie Steiner but so far he's caught the. Biggest fish,Don' know how to post pics. So you can't see my horse or boat.
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bowhunting for me !!! .. 40 year passion with archery, so I also shoot 3D and target tournaments occasionally as well - but mostly it's Bowhunting -- and tinkering with bows in general :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I play a lot of disc golf
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Bob Cox

hobbies metal artand inventions

Post by Bob Cox »

Tony Smart

Post by Tony Smart »

Lion Taming, Kick Boxing, Cage Fighting,
Flower Arranging.
Billy Henderson

Hobby

Post by Billy Henderson »

Writing, written couple of books and a couple of songs. Made $13.00 on one of my books and zero on my songs.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I forgot to mention writing, but as Jamie Oldaker told me about his, 'It's an unending chore.' Hardly a hobby for me.

Beautiful things, Howard, and Dick, you could have become a photographer as well. I admire the pencil drawings most of all; a lot of art here.

It occurs to me that steelers have active and capable minds that need fuel to go beyond idling. Except for the all-important procrastination time....
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

Well, besides PSG, I do photography and video processing and DVD/Blu-ray creation. I am also an amateur radio operator (General Class).

Starting on Monday I'll be a full time college student taking courses in Data and Network security.

I think I have a "full plate"...lol....