Which George L's for GFI

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Billings

Which George L's for GFI

Post by John Billings »

I have a pre-Ultra GFI D-10. Which George L pickups will fit with no mods to the changer. I don't want to have to take it apart and have it milled out. The guitar currently has the original Barcus Berry pups. Any suggestions?
Thanks, JB
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

yep Lawrence
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Well, I have a close friend who's a dealer for George L's, and I can get a super price on them. I was hoping that there'd be a good choice amongst George's pups.
Del Rangel

Post by Del Rangel »

Doesn't Bobbe suggest a 10-L on the E9 and an E-66 on the C6 neck?
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

When I look at the George L's website, it doesn't look like any of the pups will fit on a GFI. Mounting looks completely different. I'm thinkin that maybe they make a special model for GFI. Maybe its just a different mount with the same guts. But they look way different!
Gene Fields

Post by Gene Fields »

The pedal guitar in question is at least 10 years old if it has Barcus Berry pickups. We now use GFI-II pickups as standard for our Pro models. They are made by George "L" to our specifications and we would recommend them as a replacement for the Barcus Berrys. Check this with anyone playing an Ultra. This pickup will be supplied with a mounting ring and screws. The screws are located in a different position than the Barcus Berry's, so the broken screw can remain in the body as long as it is flush with the wood at the bottom of the cavity. There are links to contact us through our website www.gfimusicalproducts.com.

Gene
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Well,right from the horses mouth, as they say. Thankyou Gene. All my questions answered at once! Guess I'll go get the vice-grips, and not worry so much about the screw removal.
Thans Gene, and everyone, JB
Sonny Priddy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

The GFI II Will Do A Great Job I Don't Think You Will Need Any Thing Else. SONNY.

------------------
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

I tried out a new all black Ultra a couple of months ago with the GFI-II's I believe. I wouldnt have changed them for anything, nor will I as soon as my new Ultra is delivered.
Special thanx to Bobbe for the generous tryout time Image
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Hey Gene, I'm wondering if you or anyone has ever heard or used single coil pickups on your GFI guitars.

Thanks, Dave
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

I recently purchased a used S-10 Ultra that was fitted with one of the new Power Boost pickups.
I have only ever played a Emmons PP with stock pickups and Fender 400 so I can't offer too much by way of comparison.

The pickup does indeed have a seriously good punch and sounds pretty beefy - I dialed in more highs than normal. I had a terrible 60Hz hum last night in a friend's basement, but I think the power there is suspect. At home I haven't noticed it. This may sound weird since I can't really put it into words, but it seems to almost have the character of a lap steel pickup, if that makes any sense.

Hope to have the thing on a couple gigs and will have a better idea then. Hope to get some pictures of the guitar posted eventually since some have asked.

It is a great guitar. Having never changed a copedant before (not counting Fender 400) it took me about 10 hours to change from a Universal Bb setup to a mostly standard E9. 4+5.