Blocking

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Clayton Pashka

Blocking

Post by Clayton Pashka »

I'm still relatively new to the instrument as I've only been playing for a couple of years and have been a bit off and on as I play guitar as well. I've noticed that I find it way easier to pick block as opposed to palm block. Are there advantages to either technique? The palm blocking isn't working out that well for me so I was thinking of just using pick blocking on its own. Any reason I should or shouldn't do that?
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

It all comes with time...
There is no incorrect way to block, or let strings ring into each other on purpose.

Sliding between notes, or lifting the bar, glissing chords or arpeggios, strumming or gripping chords.

It's all a matter of style and taste.

After a while you will notice your tone and pitch improve, as well as making less bar noise in between
notes. There are no shortcuts, you must practice, practice, practice. Whatever method of "blocking" comes most naturally to you is the best.

The best suggestion I can give you is to:
RECORD yourself playing, and listen back to hear what rattles, bar noises, unwanted notes bother you. Then work on each problem to analyze and remove the noise.

I use several ways of blocking, and sometimes let notes ring into each other, depending on the melody, harmony and bar positions.

Mostly.... enjoy the process and have fun playing.
Dom
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

IMO you should practice both ways (palm & pick).
Palm blocking is important because your pick may not be on the string(s) that need blocking.
Palm blocking may be easier if you think of palm resting on strings as your default resting position. Lift your palm when you want to hear muisc, and return to rest when the notes finish.

Also practice left hand blocking:
block highest strings with your finger behind the bar by pulling the bar toward you
block lowest strings with your left thumb
block middle strings with your left index finger
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Palm blocking may be easier if you think of palm resting on strings as your default resting position. Lift your palm when you want to hear muisc, and return to rest when the notes finish.

This was my eureka moment. A light went off upstairs and palm blocking started to work.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

The one thing I am not particularly fond of with pick blocking is the "rattle" sound of the metal fingerpick when it strikes a moving string to block it, although it is somewhat masked by the new string being picked.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

There are many ways to mute unwanted sounds.

Pick blocking
Palm blocking
Behind the bar blocking
in-front of the bar thumb blocking

Each method has its advantage. Learn them all and use what you need. I rarely pick block but I love to block behind & infront the bar and use palm blocking from time to time.

Also remember EVERYONE plays slightly differently. So what feels most natural should be mastered first. Example of this is Tommy White he can double stop and high speed pick using 2 fingers (T,M) faster than anyone I know. Play to your strengths when learning and those will be what helps to develop you fastest. Develop your weaknesses slowly cause that can't be rushed and that will feel unnatural and usually will be frustrating.
TRUTH :lol:
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

It becomes second nature after a while. Back in the mid 70's, I started on pedal steel, and I struggled to get palm blocking down. A couple of months ago, iIn the middle of a lap steel lesson with Alan Akaka, he siad "nice palm blocking", and I replied "Huh?" - I didn't consciously block. Keep at it. I only use finger blocking when I'm moving fast and doing single note stuff.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Mike Spieth

Post by Mike Spieth »

Brian and Earnest B, I had never thought that way before, and just a few minutes of thinking of lifting my palm when I didn't want blocking, instead if dropping my palm when I did, seems to help. Thanks for the insight. :D
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Mike, I learned that in a post from Earnest years ago. Gotta give credit where due!