the most beautiful pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Russell Adkins

the most beautiful pedal steel

Post by Russell Adkins »

The guitar was a red double ten brite red with all that polished aluminum , its stuck in my mind and I cant forget it , I can almost hear it playing its magic sound soothing this wanting soul and drawing me into a world of excitement and yearning for my hands to be upon its strings sliding up and down its neck , those notes sounding out and into my ears , WHEW nothing like it is there, I remember the name on it said seiera ( hope I spelled that right.)there is always hope isn't there, I don't know why some always want what they cant have, I mean its just a musical instrument big deal huh , If only I could just touch it just once.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I understand Russ and I hope the following words which have helped me will somehow maybe help and comfort you as you go on through life.

Here they are; If you love something,set it free and then,after some time it doesn't come back,track it down and buy it again.

Peace
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Did you mean "Sierra"?

I know what you mean, though. I had that same feeling when I stopped in a music store in Louisville KY en route from Detroit MI to Houston TX in 1969.

The owner had about 7 or 8 blond Sho-Buds of various models in the shop. Five of them were on the floor and 2-3 were cabinets only, hanging on the wall. I knew nothing about pedal steel, but was so was awestruck by the beauty and sound, that I bought a "tone bar" just to have something to hang onto.

Three years later I got a blonde Baldwin Sho-Bud 6139 3+4
Russell Adkins

Post by Russell Adkins »

Its good to know that there are others that feel like I do , yes indeed thank you
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

I never saw the red finish one live, although when I bought my first Sierra brand new in '83, it had a bunch of promo prints in it, and one of the prints was of the D-10 red model.

I've owned Sierra's for years, and you are correct about the beautiful tone, and sustain on the entire neck, especially in the upper register, which some steels suffer with, but not the Sierra. :)

May a shiny red D-10 be in your future!
Sierra Crown D-10
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

my first big aha moment was looking through the window of leo's music in downtown oakland. there was a purple sho~bud before i really knew anything about them. it looked like a custom car to me! i wanted it.
it must have been before 1970 and around the corner from where i got my pre-induction physical for the draft.
Russell Adkins

Post by Russell Adkins »

Thank you Tim Russell , by the way friend I like your name Russell lol
John Russell

Sierra D-10

Post by John Russell »

Perhaps something like this:

John Russell

Sierras

Post by John Russell »

I couldn't score the red one but I did get lucky a few years ago and bought this baby for a very reasonable price. Better for me actually as I prefer the S12U version. If you're wondering if these guitars are good I won't bore you with my opinion but suggest you search the archives of this site and you'll get the picture. I play mine on gigs at least a couple of times each month and it always makes me smile. I also have a Zum S12U, same configuration that's real nice and a little lighter in weight. She gets more dates but the Sierra is a real sweetheart.

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

"She was standing in the corner away from the noise in her green pedal pushers
but would have looked better in a little black dress just above her knees....
And her neck, long and slender, all the way up to her head, made me change my tune.
I don't know why she caught my eye--it must have dropped out of its socket.

"She gave it back, but she took my heart in trade and kept the keys, knowing I'd be back for it, and I did, and she was gone.

"Once you have found her, never let her go."
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Russell Adkins

Re: Sierra D-10

Post by Russell Adkins »

John Russell wrote:Perhaps something like this:

yes indeed something like that
Russell Adkins

Post by Russell Adkins »

I hear you Charlie , ill find her oneday
Tim Herbert

Post by Tim Herbert »

I sold this one locally two weeks ago. Great guitar, but I don't play C6 much and the weight got to me. I still have my SD10 Sierra Session.

Tim Herbert - Wisconsin
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Beautiful pics there, Tim. I wish there were colored fretboards like that available for mine.

I really hope this company makes a comeback - and maybe they'll shed a bit of weight in the process! :wink:
Sierra Crown D-10
John Russell

Post by John Russell »

Nice guitar, Tim H. I know about the weight, it's the only drawback to the Sierra guitar. I wish they'd make these again with a few minor changes. If they could shave off a few pounds and keep all the innovations like folding legs and modular pickups plus that great sound. The website says they will return--we're still waiting.

I notice yours is a later version without the folding legs but with the keyheads. I'd not seen that combination--all the newer ones I've seen were keyless.

Actually GFI is a similar design with the aluminum body and wood top. I sold one before getting my Sierra and wish I'd kept it. It was so light weight there was too much movement when engaging the knee levers--not a huge problem but a distraction. The newer GFI's have a pretty cool gearless mechanism that enables you to tune it without a wrench.

Maybe I'll live long enough to see the Sierra return. Lots of competition with great new steels like Infinity, Justice, etc. Apparently it's risky to deviate from the standard style--most new pedal steels look alike.
Russell Adkins

Post by Russell Adkins »

That red guitar with all its polished aluminum parts still haunts my mind , like someone said maybe ill find it oneday and it will be mine forever, I can almost hear the music it will make .
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Haunted Heart
Jo Stafford understands....
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jerry Berger

Post by Jerry Berger »

John Russell wrote:

I notice yours is a later version without the folding legs but with the keyheads. I'd not seen that combination--all the newer ones I've seen were keyless.

That's like the model that I own.

Larry Baker

here's mine

Post by Larry Baker »

2009 3 & 5 custom built
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

These are all very beautiful guitars and masters of tone too. JAMES TAYLOR
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Russel is this it ?

SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Russell Adkins

Wow

Post by Russell Adkins »

that guitar looks like the one , you are a lucky guy seeing that guitar makes my day. Russ