Wechter Scheerhorn resonator/ sold

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
David Nugent

Wechter Scheerhorn resonator/ sold

Post by David Nugent »

Wechtern Scheerhorn squareneck maple resonator guitar. Nearly flawless condition, sounds good and plays very well (regret to say that it gives my much more costly Gibson Dobro some serious competition). Case in great condition as well..$550.00 shipped to lower 48...Thank you.
Last edited by David Nugent on 10 Aug 2015 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Excellent resonator that is no longer being made. Great deal alert!!!!!! Good guy to deal with, as well.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Rick..Thank you for the nice compliment. Believe that is correct, rights to the Scheerhorn logo now belong to the National company (with a limited number being produced by Tim himself, IF you have deep pockets!)
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Wechter as a company is no longer in business.

The Wecther/Scheerhorn (some of us liked to refer to these as "Frugal'horns") is a fine guitar for the money, this and the Gold Tone/Beard line are easily the best of the imports but it is an apples-to-oranges comparison to the much more expensive all solid wood Scheerhorn guitars (AKA "Nati-horn") being produced at National Reso-Phonic here in California.

The Wechter/Scheerhorn laminate wood guitars were produced in China with final setup and assembly at Wechter Guitars which over its final several years had been located in Indiana.

One of the things that killed this line of guitars was quality control - too many
"lemons" were being discovered in the shipping containers after arriving in the U.S. and had to be rejected. If it passed muster and made out to the world as did David's, then presumably it's a good one.

I think Tim Scheerhorn himself is down to about 5 or 6 guitars per year now as he edges toward retirement, and to get one built by him the starting price had been in excess of $10K.

He wanted his legacy carried on by a reputable American company so he has worked very closely with National to follow the Scheerhorn "recipe" of his hand-built guitars and they have a starting price of approx. $2600. National has also been producing a small number of limited edition Scheerhorns, there is one shown on their website with a retail price of close to $10K.

When folks ask me about starting on the dobro, I always encourage them as a first instrument to see if they can find it in the budget for a Wechter/Scheerhorn like David's, or a Gold Tone/Beard. If GAS doesn't get a hold of you, it might be the only dobro you'll ever need.
Mark
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Mark..Thanks so much for the background information concerning the Wechter. Thought that they may be no longer available as I could not locate new units for sale from any of the various online sites. Received as partial trade on a Beard reso and really have no need of two guitars..Price reduced to $550.00 shipped....Thank you.
Gary Mortensen

Good deal!

Post by Gary Mortensen »

This is officially a good deal, IMHO! I own all the Dobros I'll ever need or I'd have to have this one. In particular, I'd like to see how it sounds compared to my Wechter Scheerhorn Rob Ickes model, but that's not enough justification to buy it, even for me...
Tommy Wallace

Post by Tommy Wallace »

Hey David, PM sent. Thanks.
Kevin Murphy

dobro

Post by Kevin Murphy »

Is the dobro still available?
Thanks,
Kevin
kmurph51@yahoo.com
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »