Big E...

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Very sad !!
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Junior said it best in the first post.

Rest in peace, Buddy.
I totally agree.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

What a great life, and that smile, seems like he enjoyed every moment and not a moment wasted.

Buddy touched many peoples lives, mine too, I will miss knowing that he is not with us, but rest assured that he is re-united with Peggy and friends above.

Wishing the best to his friends and family at this tough time.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Danny Hullihen

Buddy Emmons

Post by Danny Hullihen »

We will be doing a special tribute show in honor of Buddy this Sunday at the United States Steel Guitar Players Association Show.
Mark Greenway

Post by Mark Greenway »

Does anyone know when and where the funeral will be held?
Glenn Demichele

Buddy

Post by Glenn Demichele »

A big door just slammed on all of us, but I cannot think of a more productive life.
Well done, and thank you Buddy. I met you once and got your autograph, but I could not speak.
I read somewhere (please help me out here folks to get the quote right...) that he said "just listen, and don't play anything that doesn't sound good". Well, damn.
Its like God saying, "Well, first you just create the heavens and earth..."
Buddy left us with a bigger mystery than was here before he arrived. An amazing man.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
chuck abend

Buddy Emmons passing

Post by chuck abend »

I couldn't believe the BIG E is gone.It was a shock to me.
He designed the copedants we play today.I'm so
greatful that I could hear him play thru the years.
Here is one of the latest photos I got from Bruce
Zumsteg.I copied this off a 18X20 that Bruce made me.
with my cell phone.my hearts heavy today
chuck abend
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

All these personal pictures of Buddy Emmons are fantastic. Someday I hope there is a retrospective of the photos he took. With his sense of humor and flair, I bet there are some great ones in his personal collection. Did Buddy ever publish or post his photography anywhere?
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I always like the Derby hat. Buddy looked so distinguished with it on. Great player, great personality and evidently a great family man as well.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Speaking of his personal photography,I remember hearing somewhere that he witnessed the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion in person and had taken photos of that event.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Cody Johnson

Post by Cody Johnson »

Who is going to carry the torch now? His passion for the instrument will never be matched. RIP Buddy.
Rose Sinclair

Post by Rose Sinclair »

Buddy Emmons - musical and mechanical genius of the steel guitar.
Thank you and rest in peace, sir.
https://youtu.be/NX0_6Zz7kl8
Scott Duckworth

Silent Steels

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Silent Steels

Their bars may no longer slide,
And their picks no longer pick,
Their steels are still and silent now,
But their music will never end.

Their studios now are silent and lonely,
Their amps are no longer played,
So let us not forget their gift,
Nor the time together we shared.

Their souls are now of the stars,
As are the notes they did play;
Their songs are traveling the heavens,
On and on they go for time without end.

Adapted by Scott Duckworth from the Ham Radio Silent Keys poem.

My tribute to one of the greats! Go rest high, Buddy!
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

It is indeed a sad day. But I have to disagree with those who are lamenting there is no more steel music, steel has died, etc. There are so many stories on here already from people who Buddy taught, mentored and inspired.

The man himself may be physically gone, but steel music is alive and well because of what he accomplished and gave to us. His love of the instrument and the people he touched insure that steel music did NOT die with his passing, but continues as an ongoing tribute to him. Altho I never met him myself, it seems to me the best tribute anyone can give him would be to reflect on his life for a bit, then sit down and play the heck out of their steel.
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

I had the great fortune of getting to play with Buddy so many times on sessions back in the '70's-'80's. He was so much fun, and so inspiring. I have several stories... but now isn't the time... soon... fo now, just reverence and respect and pain... :cry:
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

What a loss for us in the steel guitar world. It would take volumes to write down all that he did. Not only the greatest steel picker for us that he was but such a nice Gentleman. May he RIP. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Don Sulesky

Buddy

Post by Don Sulesky »

This is a picture of me with Buddy in 1987 when I took a seminar with him in Armonk, NY at the PSGA Show. What a day! Rest in Peace, Buddy.

Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

I have no words to say that would do Buddy justice however I am honored and blessed that I got to know my hero. As i read this thread and read all the comments i feel as though Buddy left us to influence others the way he did. I told my brother Dan last night that I dont have a tear left to cry.Buddy and Jimmy will always be remembered by me for being not only the best players but the finest 2 men to ever breathe fresh air.I am at a loss but I will do what Buddy would want me to do and that is playing the steel to best of my capablities and never stop learning. I will honor Buddy by keeping my steel playing and helping others the way he helped so many including myself.To each and everyone of you who have posted god bless and I pray that yall find peace and comfort through this sad time.Keep steelin and god bless
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Here is a link to the most recent Buddy Emmons post I could find. It's just over a year ago, and here he is, as always the master helping the students!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... t=#2236182
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Oh.....no...Very sad news indeed.

Not much of a story, but I remember contacting Buddy here online back in ~1999 letting him know that I was going to catch his show with the Everly's at Tahoe. He looked me up in the audience after the show and we spent some time 'having a lemonade' and a nice chat.

Great guy.
Great talent.
RIP Big E.
"...An admission of interest in protracted commentary is certainly no reason to capitalize on surmised aberations that do not exist." - BH
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

IMHOP - Mr. Emmons is in the same pantheon of american muscians as one, Louis Armstrong, AKA satchmo.
While he is certainly not as well known as Mr. Armstrong, they are alike in that they have a distinctive sound to their playing, their music knows NO boundries, their CHOICE of notes to use is superior, their CHOICE of what notes NOT to use is superior, they have both influenced generations of muscians, not just horn or steel players, but players of a wide variety of instruments and styles of music.

Another national treasure, not lost, but moved on.

Someone in an earlier post asked the question "who will carry the torch?"
My answer to that is, we ALL do.
Now - Take out that steel and PLAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT !! :)

RIP BE
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Kurt Nichols

Post by Kurt Nichols »

As so many have said here, we have lost a great man and steel player. I have held him in the highest regard for my 62 years as a steel guitar player. Today I played George Strait's "So Much Like My Dad" and Buddy's playing brought tears to my eyes. We've lost the Best. RIP dear man.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Billy Easton wrote:
The darkest day for the steel guitar world,
I could not agree more. It's taken 2 days for me to compose myself enough to write this. I do get some comfort knowing that Buddy knew just how I felt about him and his playing. Though myself, and most of you, are still in mourning. I know deep down, Buddy would rather we celebrate his life than mourn his death. I hope to reach that stage soon.

Rest In Peace. Big E. You've moved on. But you're still the man. :)

Bobby B
Bruce Meyer

Post by Bruce Meyer »

Psalm 33: "1 Sing joyfully to the Lord, you righteous;
it is fitting for the upright to praise him.
2Praise the Lord with the harp;
make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre"

Undoubtedly, there is a guy in heaven now working up a new tuning or copedant to improve and innovate the playing of this lyre.