Tom Brumley/Rick Nelson Stone Canyon band live@Troubadour?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Tom Brumley/Rick Nelson Stone Canyon band live@Troubadour?

Post by Stu Schulman »

This recording is some of my favorite Tom Brumley playing.I wore out this L.P.years ago I tried to find this on Amazon?nope a friend promised to burn me a copy from his L.P.I've been waiting since 2010and I ain't getting younger.If somebody knows a place where I can buy a CD of this for a reasonable price please let me know...Gracias! ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Chris Linck

Post by Chris Linck »

Hi Stu,

Believe it or not, I think I have this album in my vinyl collection. It was/is one of my favorite recordings that Rick[y] did before his untimely death.
I loved Brumley licks.

I have to figure out how to get it on to a CD...

Chris
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Chris,My friend Josh Duben in Nashville promised me that he would burn a CD from an L.P.ten years ago.If you figure out a way let me know!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Pretty sure that's actually available on iTunes.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I can't burn CD's, a friend of mine can, but if you want it fast I can make you a tape casette. If you only can use a CD, we will make it for you.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Joachim,Thanks so much but I don't own a cassette player anymore,and I also don't have iTunes just Amazon!
Jim Norman

Post by Jim Norman »

Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I have a copy on vinyl as well. Good record!
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Tom Brumley

Tom Brumley

Post by Tom Brumley »

Finally, something good on the forum about Tom...Stu I will get you a copy...Do you want the cd?? Just let me know your address...send it to me brumshow@msn.com
Rolene Brumley
Brian Saulsman

Post by Brian Saulsman »

What a great ending for this story!

While I am just a beginner and nobody of importance, I can honestly say that Tom Brumley was the reason that I decided to pick up the pedal steel at all.

There are many great and amazing steel players that I love to hear, of course, but for some reason his sound really reached out and grabbed me. I am embarrassed to admit how much time I have spent playing one short solo of his to try and get that feeling from my guitar. It's humbling!

All the best.

Brian Saulsman
Tom Brumley

Post by Tom Brumley »

Thank you Brian....sweet of you....xoxo
Rolene Brumley
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

Rolene- I don't know you, but couldn't help posting after I saw your post here about good stuff being written about your husband. It saddened me because I know what extremely high esteem Tom Is held in here on the forum. For me he is a constant inspiration and among a small group of players in the pantheon of the greats. I hope you know that if a disparaging remark has been made about him, it is in the extreme minority. I'm sure virtually everyone here would agree he was one of the greats. I listen to his playing literally every day. Thanks,
Abe
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Tom Brumley

Post by Tom Brumley »

Thank you so much Abe...very kind of you and I do appreciate your words...love you
Rolene Brumley
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Oh Boy Rolene to the rescue!I will try to find a way to repay your kindness.One time I drove around for at least an hour listening to Tom Brimley's brilliant playing on Dwight Yoakum's"I sang Dixie...musta heard it a hundred times,I really can't remember ever doing that in the past.Every time that I listened there was something in there that I didn't hear the time before,Just to think like that?? ;-)
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Spellchecker turned Brumley into Brimley like Wilford Brimley?
Tom Brumley

Post by Tom Brumley »

Thank you Stu.......and it's my pleasure for any fan of Tom's....luv u
Rolene Brumley
Dick Hitchcock

Post by Dick Hitchcock »

Rolene,

What Abe said.....Me too!!

Dick.
Justice Pro Lite 4x5.... NV112.... Steel seat.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

My favorite stuff with Brumley is his work with the Buckaroos and The Light Crust Dougboys.

If you haven't heard this one, ya'll owe it to yoursevles to listen to Steel Away featuring James Blackwood and Tom Brumley...

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Away-Light- ... B00004TCMQ
Last edited by Daniel Policarpo on 1 Aug 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Tom Brumley

Post by Tom Brumley »

Yes, Steel Away is great and thanks guys...xoxox
Rolene Brumley
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Tom was the real deal, in every respect. I should also add that Rolene is a pleasure to deal with, and a source of a bunch of quality "Tom" stuff everybody should own! Email her!
Tom Brumley

Post by Tom Brumley »

Thank you Ken.......you sure can email me at brumshow@msn.com
Love xoxox
Rolene Brumley
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Rolene, I guess I should chime in here at this time. Tom's Together Again was also my motivation to play steel. I went to Wichita two times to hear the Buckaroos and I always danced up right in front of Tom and stayed there. He would just look at me and smile. My dance partners thought I was nuts. I really admired him. I never got to meet him.
While I got your attention and with what as been stated in another post, I have a question for you. Is the book about Buck by Eileen Sisk trash or something a person should read?
Thank you.
Paul Wade

tom brumley /rick nelson

Post by Paul Wade »

Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Not to hijack this thread but one day years ago I broke one of the knee levers off my ZB. I got on the phone and called the company and this fellow answers, "ZB Guitars this is Tom. So I asked him "Tom Brumley?" He said he was and could he help me. After I could speak up I told him my problem and he said he would send me a new one out. The best part was he sent it free of charge. I think I managed to stammer something about how he was one of my favorites before I told him good-bye.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Dave Grothusen wrote: Is the book about Buck by Eileen Sisk trash or something a person should read?
Thank you.
Dave, I have the book and I think you have to read it with your eyes wide open. There are some things in there I would have never believed of Buck. Just saying.