amp ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jimmy T. Vaughn

amp ?

Post by Jimmy T. Vaughn »

What kind of an amp do you like for non-pedal
steels? Are Nashville 400s ok or is there something better suited for non-pedal?
Thanks JV
Guitar_Bobby_Leach

Post by Guitar_Bobby_Leach »

I have a Nashville 400 and it's fine for non-pedal steel, but if you really want that vintage sound (IMHO) go for a tube amp and don't use the reverb. Most of all, have fun what ever amp your using.
Good Luck,"Guitar"Bobby<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Guitar_Bobby_Leach on 03 May 2001 at 02:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Many of the smaller tube amps seem to work quite well for lap steel guitar. I use a Fender Pro Junior and am very satisfied with it. Other people have recommended the Peavey Classic series and the Peavey Delta Blues.
Probably my favorite amp for this sort of guitar is the Fender Deluxe Reverb. I own one and love the sound, but I don't like to take it out on gigs. I find that the Pro Junior is easier to carry and easier to replace if something went wrong.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Fender Blues Jr....

Affordable, lightweight, 15 watts, 1x12. Nice range clean to dirty, onboard reverb if you want it.

works great for me.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Just got a Fender Deluxe Reverb, a new reissue model with the Jensen speaker. It sounds great with every guitar (steel or otherwise) I own.

Bill
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I use a Mesa/Boogie Maverick prototype with a 12" EV speaker.
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

A 1992 Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue. Great tone, weighs too much, 72 lbs. I am considering a smaller Fender. Perhaps the one Bill Leff has or a Vibrolux (love the name).

A cool little amp I sometimes use is the Fender Amp Can. Portable battery powered (rechargeable). I take this with me when I play at outside festivals or music conventions. Decent tone, great for hotel room or woods/beach jam sessions.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 03 May 2001 at 12:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Mayes

Post by Dave Mayes »

I use a tube amp myself, but before you give up on that Nashville 400 - I heard Bobby Koefer playing through one of those last year. Need I say more ?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I have never played one of the Peavey solid state amps, so I've never had a chance to form an opinion about them either way. The fact that most of the people who play use Peavey amps certainly says something.
My old amp was a Fender Stage Lead (solid state 50 watt model), which was okay but didn't have anywhere near the tone I get from the Pro Jr. I just prefer the sound of tubes.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Gerald--Amp Can?? I never thought of that as a potential steel amp. Those things run around $175, dont they?
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Yes, Fender Amp Can (+- $175). I would not
perform in a big venue with this amp but I feel that it is the best battery powered amp out there. It's great at what it does, provides a clean musical tone. I also use it with my Arch-top guitar when I perform in small rooms. When I use it with my steel I get a nice compressed tone which helps a lot with sustain.

These amps are available at any Fender dealer. Try one out. What it is lacking is built in reverb.

------------------
Gerald Ross
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Gordon Black

Post by Gordon Black »

I've been using a Carvin AG100D. It has 3 channels and some nice on-board effects. I run my Dobro into the "guitar" channel and my D-8 Melobar into the "bass" channel. For the price you get alot of value, and it's light (38lbs). Put some Fender tilt-back legs on it and you've got a winner.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Like Bill, I am fond of the Fender Deluxe Reverb which is a new model of the old. It retained the vacuum tube format which gives the steel a nice warm full sound which transistor amps never seem to really achieve.
Nice thing, it doesn't weigh a ton like its big brother, the Twin Reverb! I attached wheels to mine to make life a bit easier.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

I for myself have 2 Fender Twin amps 55 models (no reverb) tweed,,,,2 1978 Twin Reverb ,,,2 Music Man 212HD 150 1 Music Mam 410 HD 150 ,,,I have found these to be the best choice for me,,,,they can handle anything you can put on on a non pedal steel and then some...These are all equipped with JBL or Altec Lansing or Electro Voice speakers and they pack a lot of bottom end and move a lot of air,,,,dynamite amps <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 May 2001 at 07:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
Sage

Post by Sage »

My favorites for lapsteel are the original '49 Valco (2 6v6 tubes) for that dreamy clean sound, and believe it or not I like to plug in a SMOKEY ($30) to my Vibrosonic speakers to get a great overdriven sound. I need to figure out how to use the smokey as an effect pedal, instead of using it as an actual amp. It sure goes thru 9V batteries fast that way.
oj hicks

Post by oj hicks »

I have a Marshall JCM900, 50W, 12" speaker. It is an all tube amp. I play my Sierra 8 string lap steel through it as well as my post war Rick Bakelite, and my Excel Frypan. It has that clean, yet warm sound one expects of tube amps. I originally bought the amp to play a Les Paul guitar through, but tried it out on the lap steel and love it.

ojhicks