Mullen Steel Guitar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel J. Cormier

Mullen Steel Guitar

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

Just wanted to reinforce what everyone should already know about Del & Dixie Mullen. Bought a used Mullen D-10 and needed some parts ,so I gave Dixie a call. She, Del,and Mike not only rounded up the parts for me, She also was able to give me the Year model and a little history. If your thinking about buying a new guitar Please give Del & Dixie a shout. You'll get a quality guitar at a more than fair price.I buy,sell& repair steel guitars and Mullen is by far one of the easiest to work on . That is if you to work on them at all. Most of the time all I have to do is a good cleaning and new strings.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
MCI D-10 , Peavey Sessions 500 & 400 Limited ,Nashville 400
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

I've never owned a Mullen, but I know for sure their a great sounding guitar. Mike was kind enough to send me a sound clip that Mr Del made of an entire song played on a Mullen. not only that, but I requested color samples of their guitar via e-mail, and got them within a week.
To bad I can't say the same thing for another top steel guitar company. I requested samples almost 3 weeks ago, and not only have I not gotten any samples, I hadn't gotten the first e-mail reply. not very good customer service at all!
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

The Mullen people have been great to us also. We ordered new guitars and got them fast. They always send us anything we ask for quick. They reply to emails too. Austin want play any other guitar and Jerry is about to get that way. They have matching Mullen and they sound GREAT!!!!!!!! Donna
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

I have owned 7 Mullen guitars and currently have 2 now. I wish I had each one of them back that I have sold. My U-12 lacquer body "heartwood" is by far the prettiest of all of them, and they all were/are drop dead beatiful. They play great, have the tone I'm happy with and Del & Dixie are great folks to work with, couldn't be happier with my Mullen(s) guitars.
John Buffington, VP OSGA
Mullen Guitars, Webb Amps
William Peters

Post by William Peters »

I took delivery on a brand new Mullen U-12 Royal Precision this week. Man... WHAT CRAFTSMANSHIP. It is absolutely beautiful. I wish I could play as well as this guitar looks. When I get a little more familiar with its features, I will post a better description.

Its everything I expected, and more. I am extra tall, and don't fit under a standard height guitar, so the Mullen folks custom made the legs to my measurements.

I know I am going to enjoy this guitar.

------------------
Bill

http://www.wgpeters.com
Mullen RP U-12, Cougar SD-10, PV-260, Tubefex, PV TNT-115, Gibson SG, Squier P-Bass, Berhinger V-amp Pro

Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Donna, are you Austin's mom? my wife and I was at Ronnie's Gospel steel show on Friday night this past June and heard that Austin was supposed to play on Sat night. we sure wanted to hear him play, but just couldn't stay another night. has he got any sound clips on his website?
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

I just got my first Mullen! It was (is) the special on Del's web, a S-10 Royal Precision. Man what a nice guitar! I'll second all previous comments.

The interesting thing about this is that I drove to his factory and got it! I live in Colorado so figured I'd drive out on the eastern plains and see the guitar. Sort of an internet 'impulse buy' , that special was too good to let pass - plus I had to get out of the office anyway, too nice a day. Image

I've lived here all my life but can't remember seeing such beautiful farm country. The highway dissapears out in front of you to the horizon. You just have to get off the interstates to really enjoy this great country. From Ft. Collins to Del's place is about 3hrs. I left after lunch.

Got there with good directions from Mike - I walked into the shop, it's a hot day and Del's working on the computer, everyone is working hard milling parts and gettin' it done. This isn't a huge state of the art building, but the equipment is, and of course the skill of Del and crew is top notch.

Steels scattered around in various states of completion.

We chatted for a while and I tried the guitar - it was all set up for me and ready to play. They went back to building steels and I just sat there in the middle of the shop and played.

After about 10min. I said "I'll take it".
Not a hard decision! I've heard them for years and tried a few that buddies have. Del played some great stuff for me so I could hear it's sound out front. Lovely playing!

I wanted to stay longer and chat, but they're busy working on steels, and it was close to dinner time. So Mike and Del packed it up, and I took off for the 3 hour drive back home. It seemed I couldn't go fast enough - wanted to get home and plug it in!

What a fun trip. Beautiful day, no traffic out in eastern Colo., thunder clouds scattered on the horizon, and I got to meet some super nice folks making amazing guitars out on the great plains. If you get a new Mullen you'll get more than a hand made piece of art - there's a spirit out there on the plains that's part of these guitars.

Thanks Del! Mike, and everyone I didn't meet. It was a great day for buying a steel.

cheers,
Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon" www.book-em-danno.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by seldomfed on 22 July 2004 at 10:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
William Peters

Post by William Peters »

Chris,

I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. What beautiful craftsmanship. Just wish I could play better Image

Its great that you could pick it up in person. UPS dropped mine in shipping, and the case was broken, but luckily the guitar was perfect, no damage at all. Of course, the Mullen crew are sending me a new case.

------------------
Bill

http://www.wgpeters.com
Mullen RP U-12, Cougar SD-10, PV-260, Tubefex, PV TNT-115, Gibson SG, Squier P-Bass, Berhinger V-amp Pro

Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Chris,you beat me to the black SD-10. Image
that is OK though.Because today I ordered my brand new RED Mullen! I always thought that red guitars sounded better. ImageThe fruited plain of Eastern Colorado is indeed some neat country.Planning a short road trip out to the Mullen Ranch to pick mine up. Image

------------------
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
William Peters

Post by William Peters »

Here I thought that RED guitars picked faster, and black ones were the ones that sounded better.

Bill
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I have had the pleasure of playing a Mullen guitar in the past. A beautiful tobacco sunburst lacquer guitar that sounded absolutely great! I called and spoke with Dixie on the phone to inquire about it's year model, etc... and was treated royally, even though I wasn't buying a thing. Obviously customer service is a main concern of theirs. I agree fully with the above comments about what fine folks they are!

Lem S.
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Based on my experience with them: I ain't got nuthin' but good to say about Mullen Steel Guitars and their Customer Service. I owned an SD-10 that I would have kept, but I missed the C6th neck too much and let it go. I regret that! I would proudly own another - D-10, and just might!

------------------
Tommy Minniear
www.ntsga.com

Mike Bowles

Post by Mike Bowles »

i was looking at the black beauty pedal steel that was here but it had already been bought but i sent a check for a new one just like it. i play a carter starter now through a nashville 1000, have a 52 tele, stage 100 fender and i play lead with a gospel group called the "Happy TravelerS"
mike bowles
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Patrick,
You'll like the red one I'm sure! Ya, Del said a lot of people called but didn't commit.

How long did they say it would take to build your steel?

So - I've played it daily since picking it up and my playing has improved Image

Seriously, it's a joy to play.

cheers - chris
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Chris approximate building time is 6 weeks.
Mike,Your new Mullen should be a hit in Mullen West Va. Image

------------------
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Mike Bowles

Post by Mike Bowles »

Pat, There ai also a litttle town down from me called Mullensville so my new Mullen guitar should feel right at home.
Mike From Mullen (:
T. A. Gibson

Post by T. A. Gibson »

I too am a happy Mullen owner. Some where about 1989-90, I had Del to build me a D-10 thru a music dealer that I was doing his steel guitar side. I like its smooth, quite playing. I have a 1997 Emmons Lagrande II as my main playing one now, the Emmons trap work are very much more noisey and rattley than the Mullen. My Mullen also has great sound. In fact my first Mullen was a red lacquer, beautiful. The one I mentioned above is blue lacquer, and as such is very beautiful. T. A.
Don Ricketson

Post by Don Ricketson »

Guys, PLEASE don't put the(s)on Mullen. It's not a Mullins or a Mullen. It's a Mullen. I know. I got one. If I had two I would have two Mullen, but since I just have one it's a Mullen.

------------------
Mullen D10-8/5
Sho-Bud S10-3/4
Evans Amps
"Making The Stars Shine"

kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

S happens
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I used to play an Emmon guitar, before I bought my Mullen.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

< Guys, PLEASE don't put the(s)on Mullen. It's not a Mullins or a Mullen. It's a Mullen. I know. I got one. If I had two I would have two Mullen, but since I just have one it's a Mullen. >

Right. And, strange as it may seem, you could own an "Emmons" and still only have one .

Good thing there are no Stradivarius steels Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 09 August 2004 at 02:35 AM.]</p></font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 09 August 2004 at 02:40 AM.]</p></font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 09 August 2004 at 02:50 AM.]</p></font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 09 August 2004 at 02:53 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I forgot to mention, I run my Mullen guitar through an Evan amplifier.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Jerry Hendrix

Post by Jerry Hendrix »

I have two MULLEN, one is a D-10 / 8x5 and the other an S-10. Both are Rosewood mica. The D-10 I bought at the 1996 ISGC, and Dell built the S-10 just last year,took delivery in December. Yes, there are two, but they are both MULLEN. Just wanted to clear that all up. 1 or 2 or 3, still MULLEN. Old Jerry Hendrix.
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

2 Stradivarius violins would I think be called a pair of Stradivarii.....IP

------------------
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

<SMALL>and Dell built the S-10 just last year,</SMALL>
Jerry - It's Del, not Dell!

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande