Joey Andrews

Mama

Post by Joey Andrews »

Another week with Mama Tried!!!!!!!!!!
EMMONS / ZUM / DERBY / EMCI / MARLEN / MARRS
Alan Percy

Oh Mama

Post by Alan Percy »

Oh my William is stepping into another gear now.. awesome patterns and ideas, Loving it.. Can't wait for the weeks ahead. Hal Rugg..Witchita Lineman... Maybe some C6... Mama tried lesson this week was GOLD... and the added ideas William brought to the table. Awesome.

Cheers,
Alan
Zum D10, Peavey Nashville, Musicman 210 HD
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Alan,your totally right. The last 15 minutes or so of the broadcast was a pure 24kt chunk. Chonka chonka. :lol:
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Joey Andrews

Starts July 4th

Post by Joey Andrews »

Wichita Lineman starts July 4th, to get signed up
click on http://www.pedalsteeler.com/
Daniel Policarpo

I like what William said about trying to play Hal Rugg's stuff and taking a little while longer than planned to get a lesson going, "cause I can't play it....and I think the reason you don't hear too much of it is because hardly anone can play it." lol
He's being a little disengenouos there. Cause I heard him playing a bunch of Hal Rugg stuff over the phone just last week when I was bothering him about something. I jsut happened to be trying to rip a lick or two off some old Loretta Lynn records and was telling him it was damn hard to get a simple sounding one going, then he jsut up and peels a bunch of stuff off, sounding jsut like the recording. That made me happy knowing we were going to learn that stuff, too, one of these days.

We got the Wichita Lineman...we got Hal Rugg comin' down the pike..we got some Jones started up...we're getting us a good summer of pedal and lever action going, if we could just get that right hand down.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Joey Andrews

Post by Joey Andrews »

Daniel when William makes that statement he is having a little trouble with a song, it want be
long before he will be playing it, then teaching it.
Tom Kraemer

Post by Tom Kraemer »

Really enjoying William's Saturday morning live sessions. As a newbie it's been difficult but William breaks it down and gives lots of helpful techniques to work on.
I luv listening to him play while doing his sound check. I really get a chuckle out of his humor and the stories he weaves into the lessons. Im actually making some progress and having a blast trying.
Please join in. You'll be glad you did. Thx.
Tom
Williams
S-10. 3x5
Desert Rose, Vintage Pro
S-10. 4x4. purchased 1/2014
PV NV 112 amp. Goodrich-120 VP
George Buechley

Post by George Buechley »

Here's the site for Wichita Lineman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdwgsN ... e=youtu.be

I'm really looking forward to this.

George
Pre WWII Dobro, Sho~Bud Pro II Custom, Peavey Session 115, GFI Expo, Roland Cube XL80, Lil Izzy
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Still plenty of time left to get in on this one guys and gals.
Join us Sat. July 4th!
Twang to the bone!
Daniel Policarpo

That's right, it's on the 4th. I'll be turning the amp up loud that day. Hope you learn us good, William! :lol:
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
George Buechley

Worksheets look real good! Coal Miner's Daughter intro, too!

George
Pre WWII Dobro, Sho~Bud Pro II Custom, Peavey Session 115, GFI Expo, Roland Cube XL80, Lil Izzy
Joey Andrews

Broadcast

Post by Joey Andrews »

If you missed Saturday broadcast, you missed a good one, Coal Miner daughter intro, Wichita Lineman intro, it don't get better than this for the price of a happy meal! You still have time to sign up for Wichita Lineman, just contact the professor!
Richard Keller

Post by Richard Keller »

The Wichita Lineman song is a great one to learn. Challenging but still learnable and sounds great. I like how William teaches the nuances of the song. He does not dumb it down to make it easier to learn but teaches it like it was played on the record even if it is hard to play.
Daniel Policarpo

Completely agree, Richard. Dumbing down the songs, or simplifying the nuances would not teach us very much. I know some teachers do that, but this instrument is challenging on many levels and there ain't no way around that.

I wish this Hal Rugg kick would never end!
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
George Buechley

That's quite an intro we got this past Saturday! Eh

George
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

If you are a beginner this is the one for you, at least so far. The 'Mama Tried' was difficult and the speed beyond my ability. Had to slow down the tracks to keep up. This is a great tune and seems simpler than the others. Join us and work up the Wichita Lineman, you'll be glad you did.

Ken "That's not my hand" Caine
Daniel Policarpo

Kenneth, you weren't kidding about the "Mama Tried" weeks. THose were not easy waters to navigate. I've been going on two years with William, and sometimes I'll go back and try stuff later that I had trouble with at first, and I am usually really surprised by how much I do get later. Sometimes even the next day, its amazing what does come through our hands. "That's not my hand" is about right. lol!

Here's a couple screen clipping showing about 70% of the material I've received from William over the last couple years. It's all good stuff. He's a direct link to Jeff Newman's method, with a good dose of experience and his own style. It's slick stuff. and he'll keep you busy!

Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

I'll do practice session where I go back and play the project tunes that I have received over the weeks to see how well I do. I'm also surprised that I have not 'regressed' much from the old tunes.

William is right in saying just play what you can and move on. I could get bogged down in one area of the tune and not progress. I'll also remove some notes from the tab to make it easier to get through the tough parts.

I use Audio Speed Changer on my Android tablet to slow down the tracks to a speed I can play, then work the speed back up. It also lets me only concentrate on small segments of the track.
Daniel Policarpo

Kenneth Caine wrote: William is right in saying just play what you can and move on. I could get bogged down in one area of the tune and not progress. I'll also remove some notes from the tab to make it easier to get through the tough parts.
I do the same thing regarding simplifying some parts that I know I'm not going to get down. No point in killing a good track for a little part. It's a relatively abstract instrument compared to piano, or even six string guitar. We got lots of ways to skin any old mule.

Yeah, being able to slow down parts is huge for me, too. I would be skipping a lot more notes if it wasn't for Riffstation.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
George Buechley

Yeah Riffstation is great for slowing the speed down on some of William's licks. He can really let loose right when you think you've got it. One example is his version of 'Steel Guitar Rag'.

George
Daniel Policarpo

I see Lee Barber's request for Dickey Overby's take on Johnny Bush's I'll Be There is going to be covered on this week's Steel-In. Nice one Lee!
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Joey Andrews

Broadcast

Post by Joey Andrews »

Another lesson on Wichita Lineman on tap for today!
Daniel Policarpo

Dangit, still working on I'll Be There, though I reckon I will be on and off for a while. I've worked about 3 licks of my own off that one part of the lesson. The Hal Rugg stuff has een like that, too. I bet we ain't finished with Rugg's stuff, but this week we get to go over some of Mike Johnson's work. That ought to be good.
I wonder who the other person is that watches live? :lol:
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
George Buechley

Guess... 8)

George
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Daniel Policarpo,thank you. I think if we find a good lick or intro, maybe even a solo that we want, we should ask William if he would teach it. One others may want to learn it. Two he is your instructor, he is there to teach you. Three I think it helps him find something to teach. Remember, if it's something hard we can always pick licks to learn out of it until we can learn it all.
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10