Bigsby triple neck on ebay

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Mansfield

Bigsby triple neck on ebay

Post by Jack Mansfield »

There is a bigsby triple neck for sale. Starting bid $4000.00 owner claims needs repair. Only description given.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

pretty cool to see these show up.

looks like this was originally a non-pedal someone converted to pedals at some later point. those aren't bigsby changers, pedals or pedal rack.
still a nice find that needs to be rescued. being a wood neck might make this an easy resto
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I wonder whose name was on the front.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I think I'd have popped that piece of wood off the front, it's uglier than glue and might hide a surprise.
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

...looks like pedals 1 and 5 might need repair, and some cable hanging down from the underside. Charlie, it might be interesting indeed on what is behind that piece of wood, providing it can be done without inflicting further damage.

My 2 cents, YMMV.
Randy Hellstern

Post by Randy Hellstern »

This is the guitar:
After clean-up and re-stringing it plays as it should. Currently in C6-A6-E13. Finding information on original owner seems a long shot. If anyone knows who might have played a wood necked T-8 in the mid fifties (probably Northern California), any information would be appreciated. Will go to Todd Clinesmith for additional work in the near future.
Randy Hellstern
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Congratulations, Randy. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting more photos....😊
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Wood necks are especially nice. Congratulations! What was the date?
Randy Hellstern

Chas:
Thanks.
After removing thick coats of green paint from end plates the date became readable: 7-1-54
Originally non-pedal, seems to have been converted to pedal (necks 1 and 2) early on with Wright parts. Has signs of having had a headstock changer, although not Bigsby

Rick:
Thanks for the interest.
I have other photos. You could let me know what other views are desirable and I'll post more.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Randy Hellstern wrote:Rick:
Thanks for the interest.
I have other photos. You could let me know what other views are desirable and I'll post more.
Randy, it's a Bigsby 😊 we wanna see it from every angle possible! Btw, you've made the right decision sending it to Todd. I own two Clinesmith consoles...he's a modern day master.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Randy Hellstern

Here's a few more pics.
Shows the underside as it was when I bought it - pulleys, cables and changers in a polychrome paint scheme. Must've been the thing to do at the time...
The most unfortunate thing is probably the removal of the original owner's name from the apron.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

These are some closeup pics of a Bigsby changer underneath, from Norm Hamlet's guitar which is also a 54. Springs look a little corroded.time for some metal work.

And a Bigsby finger
Randy Hellstern

Chas,
thanks for the photos. That's what I wish the underside of my guitar looked like.
Interesting that Bigsby's changers accommodate both raising and lowering string pitch, whereas the Wright changers (at least the ones on my guitar) do raises only.
Randy Hellstern

Hi,
just wanted to share a couple of "after" photos to show Todd Clinesmith's handiwork. Absolute pleasure dealing with him. His expertise and skills speak for themselves, of course...
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Beautiful work, congratulations!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Very nice find, and very nice work by Todd. You've got a prize. Might as well put your name in the slot, or else "your name here" might be appropriate.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Randy Hellstern

Herb, Rick, thanks for your comments.
Herb, if my abilities ever come within shouting distance of those of players in the golden era of Western Swing, I might be tempted to put my name on the guitar. So it may never happen...
I'm following up a lead on who might have owned the guitar new though...
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Beautiful! We'll stay tuned to see what comes of your lead.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I have Chas' triple neck at the shop for sale- originally belonged to Norm Hamlet- what a find!!
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

Well Done Todd! Beautiful guitar. Jim - I didn't think Chas would ever sell the Norm Hamlet! That guitar has a very interesting undercarriage. Wish I could afford it, but I can't seem to convince my wife that I need two Bigsby triples...
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.