Keyless vs Keyed

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Post by b0b »

I've never understood the physics of it, Earnest. I just know that the 3 keyless guitars I've owned all had hysteresis on the E string, easily measurable and perceptible if you listened closely. Less than a keyed guitar, but it was there.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

My Infinity has so little hysteresis it's difficult to perceive on my Boss Chromatic tuner.
Two things I believe kill it. One is the use of larger than normal diameter roller nuts with a smaller than normal axle, and two, roller bearings are used in the changer where the raise mechanism contacts the fingers.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I played key less for 10 years, (Sierra)..hands down best felling guitar I have ever had,
Howard Palmer

Post by Howard Palmer »

I've had keyless and keyed guitars over the years and have ended up using keyless guitars exclusively nowadays. I agree that there isn't a huge difference in tone, but my preference has do with some points that I haven't seen anyone mention yet.
I work in local bands in fairly small venues driving to the jobs in cars jammed with pa gear and guitar player's equipment and am now over 60 years old. A keyless guitar is often 3 or 4 inches shorter and 8-10 pounds lighter than a keyed guitar and when space is at a premium, that smaller size and weight matters. I once refitted a tenor sax case to hold a Kline 12 and it made a wonderfully compact,light package that would fit in an airline overhead.
Maybe the fact that the famous players don't use keyless guitars has to do with the fact that most of them have someone else humping the case around for them.
Jack Wilson

Pro players

Post by Jack Wilson »

I won't mention a name, but a pro player I talked to at the Texas Convention told me he liked to take a keyless SD-10 on the road or when he had to fly. But he always used his keyed D-10 when he played the Grand Ole Opry for the look.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Keyless hands down. For more reasons then listed here. I'll never go back to those heavy ugly keyed steel guitars. :D
Bill L. Wilson

To Keys or Not to Keys.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I sat down to my FIRST and LAST KEYLESS Pedal steel Fri. afternoon at a friends shop here in OKC. I can't stand sliding down to that first fret and nothings left, my hands are way to big, and at 220lbs. I'm a bit large for a steel that small. It was a BMI S-12 converted to E9 10string, and keyless is just to weird for me. plus it moved all over the floor when you hit the Knees. Good guitar, well built, it's just not for me, and that Allen wrench instead of a tuning key is real PITA. I prefer my 20yr. old Road Dog Emmons LGII with TUNING KEYS, over any guitar on the market cause it works for me.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

George Redmon wrote:Keyless hands down. For more reasons then listed here. I'll never go back to those heavy ugly keyed steel guitars. :D
Me too, George. I've owned and played both and keyless is the only way to go. As b0b stated, there was still some hysteresis on the 4th string raise, E to F on my old Williams keyless 400 series. 4 Years ago, I bought a 700 series keyless Williams. Problem has been solved. I asked Bill Rudolph what he did to remedy the problem. He said it was in the changer and he fixed it. He would not tell me what he did though. :lol: I can barely construct a square box. It's not like I was going to start manufacturing another steel guitar and go into competition. :)
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

George Redmon wrote:Keyless hands down. For more reasons then listed here. I'll never go back to those heavy ugly keyed steel guitars. :D
A common phrase from the 40s-50s,,,that is still applicable today,,,,,,"you ain't a'woofin'",,,,(translation in case it was more of a southern phrase,,means,,,,,"agreed",,,,)
Will Cowell

Post by Will Cowell »

And the weight difference, c'mon, guys, that has to count for something too, right? Shorter body equals less weight, and less flex because shorter, so less cabinet drop.

Remember, if you want different outcomes, you have to do something different.
Williams 700 series keyless U12,
Sierra keyless U14, Eezzee-Slide & BJS bars
Moth-eaten old Marshall 150 combo
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Having built a tuner with no keys and no nut, because it was all I could make with my limited resources, and having discovered that it works fine and the strings are easy to change which is a shame because they don't break, I am not going to try and improve on it by introducing a load of gearwheels and pulleys and lengths of spare string.

Yes, it's quick to grab a tuning peg, but it's even quicker to knock it by accident.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Andy Eder

Post by Andy Eder »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on a Zum D10 keyless, 8/5?

I've been offered one but am concerned with resale down the road.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Cowboy Eddie Long, sure get a lot out Of his BMI keyless.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Andy if the keyless mod was done right I don't see why it wouldn't whole Its value.I know I'd like to have one.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

" the Kline never goes out of tune."

True dat!
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
GaryL

Keyless Guitars

Post by GaryL »

Keyless is great for the smaller size and weight and ease of string changing. I also like the difference in tone, although every steel has it's own sound. My dream guitar would be a keyless Emmons LeGrande Double 10. Black, of course!!
Emmons LeGrande D-10
GFI Ultra D-10 keyless
Quilter SteelAire
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

With all of the new lightweight guitars that have been introduced in recent years, I am a little surprised that nobody has come out with a keyless model specifically designed for fly gigs and other situations where transporting a normal steel is difficult. Imagine a steel only slightly longer than its scale length that you could put in a gig bag and take on a bus or subway.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Put it in a gig bag overhead. pack your clothes in the case and check it in.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Markus Mayerhofer

Post by Markus Mayerhofer »

Both of my guitars (Sierra and GFI U-12) are keyless.
Stringbreakage goes to a minimum.
I've to admit i'm a very very lazy string-changer, and i cant even remember when i changed strings on my Sierra the last time, but i guess it was about 8 months ago, with excessive practicing and gigging...
Nevertheless i should change strings soon, not to overstretch my luck.
Especially on the GFI changing strings is a very smooth and quick procedure. You dont have to bring the strings to a high tension manually before locking them.
On the Sierra you have to pull hard to bring the strings to relative high tension, especially string 3....otherwise its very hard to bring it on pitch...
But all in all, i'm happy with the keyless systems...
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Bruce,,,,(and anyone interested),,,I'm currently building a 10 string, 24 1/4" scale keyless lap steel that will be a tad less than 26" over all. Maple and walnut,,,,Should be completed next week.
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Bob, that's getting closer to what I have in mind. Not surprising it's from GFI. I respect and appreciate that they don't feel overly beholden to tradition at the expense of innovation. I liked that about Joe Kline as well.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Keyless guitars are absolutely unbeatable for the guest bedroom...
I need an Emmons!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

as long as you don't have to look at it!
Jim Priebe

Post by Jim Priebe »

Gee Chris - this must be your worst nightmare!
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 62#2393062

It's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Priebs GFI ('09)Short-Uni10. GFI ('96)Short-Uni SD11. ('86)JEM U12
www.steelguitardownunder.com