Question on rod adjustment

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Rogers

Question on rod adjustment

Post by John Rogers »

I want to "re-route" one of my rods. It doesn't have a straight path from the changer to to the bell-crank (if my terms are correct). Since I have never added or moved rods, I want to make sure I have the general concept correct:

1) The pedal or lever travel needs to move the rod at least the distance it takes to raise or lower the string (plus a little?) to the desired note.

and

2) The nylon tuning nut should be backed off so the rod would travel a little before the nut engages the changer.

So (making up some numbers here) if a rod had to move 1/8" to raise an E to an F#, the pedal travel should move the rod say 3/16", and the nylon nut would not engage during the first 1/16" of rod travel.

Right?
MSA Classic D-10 XL 8 & 4 August, 1976
Converted to SD10 3 & 4 in 2010
Peavey N112
Hilton Volume Pedal
Digitech RP155
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

You've got it. The essence of the 'rule' is that when you are off the pedal/lever, the changer is fully resting at its stop and is not being suspended by the nylon tuner. An art to setting up a steel is to minimize the amount of slack while absolutely, positively having that bit of slack that allows the changer to sit in its stops.
John Rogers

Post by John Rogers »

Thanks a lot Jon.
Peavey N112
Hilton Volume Pedal
Digitech RP155
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Hi John,
BTW, I've always been one who insisted on a straight pull(a rod with no bends)but recently I've been bending them so they won't rub on anything else.
Many manufacturers do this. I'm not saying bend them in an arc but zig zag angles to miss a cross shaft, other rods, or pullers. Do make sure that at the puller and the changer the rod is perfectly perpendicular. It will be smoother and quieter. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
John Rogers

Post by John Rogers »

Thank you Ron.
Peavey N112
Hilton Volume Pedal
Digitech RP155