New Weber VST Kit - Pedal Steel Amp!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marc Jenkins

New Weber VST Kit - Pedal Steel Amp!

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Weber has just released the new 'Gaylon 807' kit. It's a modified AB763 cicuit, with 807 output tubes, one channel with reverb and trem, plus an input attenuator. Sounds pretty neat!
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Ted's been working on this for two or three years now. Initially this looked like a pretty cool project but I'm beginning wonder where he is getting his steel guitar advice.

Cosmetically the amp is sharp, with the tooled leather cabinet, retro design and those big bottles, but there are some obvious inconsistencies with what steel players want in an amp, such as vibrato and master volume. I also question the Weber Neo 15 for speaker choice. In my Twin Reverb (essentialy the same amp) the Neo would break at higher volume. I have a hard time believing that this design is going to give the clean headroom needed for steel. I remember emailing Ted to tell him that vibrato and master volume are not really desired features for a steel amp and he replied something to the effect of "it is in an 80 watt combo". I don't think he quite gets what steel players are really after in an amp and I'm not convinced that we need another AB763 clone. How about a nice Baxendal based project? Here are a couple of photos from earlier stages of development:

Last edited by Tim Whitlock on 8 Jun 2009 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

I have another issue; knobs on top! No good for me... As for the speaker, I think it's hard o say, as while this is similar to a Twin, it's only 60 watts, not 85. I agree about the master and trem. I might see about building one without the master and ditching the trem. Maybe they'll be able to make a front-knob version.
Gaylon Mathews

Post by Gaylon Mathews »

I was beyond honored when Ted asked if he could name this amp after me. It was almost complete when Ted passed away. I'm afraid the amp and the idea passed away with him as I have spoken to T.A. about it a few times and can't seem to get any interest in seeing it completed.
Gaylon's Homepage
www.facebook.com/gaylonmathews

gaylonmathews@yahoo.com

Show Pro Steel Guitars, 2Ds Guitars, Peavey Electronics, Gallien Krueger MB Series Amps, GHS Strings, Rick Johnson Cabinets, D2F Covers, Eminence Double-T Speakers, Weber Speakers, Cedar Creek Cases.
Mark Fowler

Post by Mark Fowler »

The Gaylon 807 according to my notes was based off a 60w variation of a Standel 25L15 tweaked for pedal steel.

I have the layout and schematic.

Mark