Elixir Strings for Dobro

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bob Stone

Elixir Strings for Dobro

Post by Bob Stone »

Has anyone tried those new-fangled Elixir brand coated strings for Dobro? Do they really last longer? Are they quieter? How do they sound? They ain't cheap.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I had emailed the company awhile back and they said that they could put together a set gauged for dobro. Still haven't ordered any. I kinda like phosphor bronze myself.

I've played them on acoustic and electric guitars, but not my own. My friends who used them say that they really do last significantly longer. They also say they are very bright at first, but mellow out ok. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 04 April 2001 at 01:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

They only last longer because the coating helps prevent finger oils and acids from getting to the string. Something that shouldn't be happening all that much on your lap guitar Image

I don't like 'em much for acoustics compared to P-bronzes and I tried them on a round neck Dobro that I used for bottleneck playing. It didn't work or sound too well at all. Surprisingly it didn't seem to scrape the stuff off them, though I didn't use them long.
Aaron Schiff

Post by Aaron Schiff »

Jerry Douglas is using them. But Jerry Douglas could make a bo didley sound like a Scheerhorn. I haven't tried them except on standard guitar. New they sounded like my D'Addario PB Lights when they're dead. They were so fast, I thought I was time transported back 30 years and playing my old Mosrite. Overall, I didn't like them. While I haven't tried them for slide, I probably won't either.
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Thanks guys. Paul Beard offers an Elixir dobro set (.016-.56) in his resophonic Outfitters catalog for $13.50 (ouch!). Has anyone tried that particular set?

Phosphor bronze users: what's your favorite string set?

Thanks
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

<SMALL>Phosphor bronze users: what's your favorite string set?</SMALL>
I've been hooked on bulk Euphonon sets (Orford, NH) for years. Can't tell the difference between them and D'Addario.

Less than $3.00/set including shipping. Check MO only.

hp

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

David Siegler

Post by David Siegler »

I have been using Paul Beard's strings for several years. From his web site:

CUSTOM BEARD RESOPHONIC:
Phosphor Bronze (.018 .020 .029 .035 .045 .056) Newly designed 3rd string gives longer life!
$5.50 a set.
mikey

Post by mikey »

I use John Pearse Phospher Bronze 3100's..nice and HEAVY!!!in 5 years of use I've never had a neck problem because of tension on any of my squarenecks...even the flinthill...can't use 'em on the weissenborn tho...(I've tried)
Mike
Richard Vogh

Post by Richard Vogh »

One useful thing to know about Elixir strings:  The plain (non-wound) strings are NOT coated, they are just standard steel strings.  That can be seen on the Elixir website, in their FAQ: Elixir FAQ "What are the ELIXIR Guitar Strings made of?".

So, while the Elixir wound strings will last longer than other wound strings, the plain strings will age just like other plain strings.  Plan on replacing just the plain strings while keeping the Elixer wound strings, through several changes, when using Elixirs, before eventually replacing the entire set of strings.  Use any brand of plain steel strings (in the gauges that you use) for the interim plain-string replacements.

That approach to string replacement will make using Elixirs more affordable and more practical. Without replacing the plain strings more frequently than the wound, Elixirs are likely to sound dull as they age, since there is nothing special about Elixir plain strings.

Mark Davis

Post by Mark Davis »

I put on a set of Elixers and they sounded worse than the old 2 month old dead strings I took off. So after about 15 mins cut them off and put on a set of D'Addarios (who also makes the Elixir strings)and got my chrispy sound back.

Then about 2 weeks after that experience I was reading over at the Mandolin forum and they said the Elixir strings sound bad when you first put them on but get better with age like it takes about 1 week to sound good?

So I'm gonna try this other set in a month or so and leave them on and see if they really get better. Several people said the same thing so maybe they do need a break in time? Every string I have EVER used has sounded best about 1 day after I put them on then gradually get worse and worse depending on how hard and long I play.