Copedent Calculator for Pedal Steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Morris

Copedent Calculator for Pedal Steel?

Post by Daniel Morris »

Seems like I had a link to a website that allowed me to enter my copedent, then it displayed all the notes.
Or something like that.
I can't find it now, so does anyone know of such a site or calculator for mapping out everything?
Were I more handy with a computer, I'm sure I could do something. Thanks.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Rick Myrland

Post by Rick Myrland »

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.highwater.co.nz/chordfinder.php
Mullen G2; Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb; Goodrich L-120
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

Thanks, Rick, that's helpful.
Perhaps my memory fails me, or perhaps there's a different site - I want to be able to plug in my copedent and then see the all the notes on all the strings (open-12th fret). I may just see if I can work up a chart myself, though I'm not savvy with things like Excel, etc.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
Frenzel MB-50 head.
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

...if memory serves me, I think Joe Wright has an Excel spreadsheet program that you can add your setup to and see all the combinations....
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

Thanks, DG, I'll take a look.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I really like the one Rick mentioned. But I registered and necer got the confirmation email. So, I have to enter my copedent every time. Luckily I don't need it very often, but it still drives me nuts that I can't save my copedents.

And, it doesn't account for 2 pedals that are not next to each other. I searched for a chord and it wanted me to press p3 & p5. Those are both pedals on my E9 neck, and almost impossible to use both feet on. Well, at least in the heat of the battle.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 4 May 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

If I use that one, Richard, I'll print off what I need, just in case. Thanks.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Richard Sinkler

Good idea Daniel.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

I think Bo or Stuart Legg published an excel spreadsheet calculator which was posted a month ago
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Richard Sinkler wrote:I really like the one Rick mentioned. But I registered and necer got the confirmation email. So, I have to enter my copedent every time. Luckily I don't need it very often, but it still drives me nuts that I can't save my copedents.

And, it doesn't account for 2 pedals that are not next to each other. I searched for a chord and it wanted me to press p3 & p5. Those are both pedals on my E9 neck, and almost impossible to use both feet on. Well, at least in the heat of the battle.
Richard, I had the same problem, until I emailed him and a few days later... I finally got an email from this address, if you want to try and contact him direct.... steelguitar@highwater.co.nz , since that time it saves my copedent and saves it on the website and then I just sign in...

I still wish I knew how to do all the formula stuff and just write a program to do it on my Mac or PC.

Good luck Richard.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Richard Sinkler

Thanks Dale.

I have a question about the spreadsheets so many mention on here. Is it a situation where you enter the chord you want, and it changes the values in the cells to reflect where the chords are found?

I just got the registration email.
Trevor Carey-Smith

Post by Trevor Carey-Smith »

Hi Richard,
Richard Sinkler wrote:I really like the one Rick mentioned. But I registered and necer got the confirmation email. So, I have to enter my copedent every time. Luckily I don't need it very often, but it still drives me nuts that I can't save my copedents.
Yes, for a while the emailer on the website was broken... it told me it was sending the emails, but never did. If you re-register now it should work OK, but please let me know if it doesn't.
Richard Sinkler wrote:And, it doesn't account for 2 pedals that are not next to each other. I searched for a chord and it wanted me to press p3 & p5. Those are both pedals on my E9 neck, and almost impossible to use both feet on. Well, at least in the heat of the battle.
That's a bit of a tricky one. It could check reject chords where the pedals are neighbours, but that would knock out those C6 chords where you whip your foot off the volume pedal to squash pedal 8. Maybe I'll add a switch to allow this as an option...

Regards,
Trevor.
Trevor Carey-Smith

Post by Trevor Carey-Smith »

Hi Daniel,

You should be able to get what you want on the highwater.co.nz site using the 'Mode' tab. If you select the 'Chromatic' mode in the drop-down list and change the note labels from "scale numbers" to "note names" then you will get the fretboard with a note on each string and fret.

Hope that helps,
Trevor.
Richard Sinkler

Thanks Trevor. The email did finally show up. It's really a good program. I like it. The two foot issue, not a big deal
Jeff Hanson

Post by Jeff Hanson »

There's this one from Karlis Abolins
http://home.comcast.net/~k.abolins/guitarmap.html
Jeff Hanson

Star SD-10,Fender Strat, Martin acoustic, Nashville 112, Fender DeVille
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Rick Myrland wrote:Is this what you're looking for?

There's a slight problem with this (unless it's me).

For example, to test it, I entered E maj 7.

At the top it came up as the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th chords of the scale but lower down (and on the fretboard chart itself) it actually finds E G# B and D#.

I've reported the bug to him.

Looks like it's going to be very useful.
Richard Sinkler

I had to correct a couple in Karlis' too. He told me how to get in and make the corrections in my installation. It's also a good tool.
Richard Sinkler

Jeff Mead wrote:
Rick Myrland wrote:Is this what you're looking for?

There's a slight problem with this (unless it's me).

For example, to test it, I entered E maj 7.

At the top it came up as the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th chords of the scale but lower down (and on the fretboard chart itself) it actually finds E G# B and D#.

I've reported the bug to him.

Looks like it's going to be very useful.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an Emaj7 in fact E G# B and D#? That's the 1,3,5,7 tones of the scale. That's an Emaj7 on my guitar.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Richard Sinkler wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an Emaj7 in fact E G# B and D#? That's the 1,3,5,7 tones of the scale. That's an Emaj7 on my guitar.
OOps :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Of course you're right. Theory isn't my strong point.

I guess I am so used to writing A7 or saying "add in the 7th" that I forgot it was actually a minor or flattened 7th.

That and it was pretty early in the morning on this side of the pond.

Anyway, I just sent another Email to the guy apologising for my stupidity and will certainly be sending a donation as this is a very uefull little program.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

The idea of the spreadsheet calculator is to just show the particular notes on the neck view you are interested in and just use it as an uncomplicated part of the spreadsheet worksheet.
This forces you to learn how the pedals and levers affect the strings by not doing that for you.
So you enter the notes you want then highlight the neck view and copy and move down on the spreadsheet and paste special (value) you can’t just paste you must paste it special values only or the neck view will be incorrect.
After you pasted then visualize the possibilities and enter the appropriate pedals and levers within the correct cells..
For an example if the spreadsheet did the chords for me I might have never noticed the great bar slant possibility I discovered while listing an A13 chord (b7+3+13) on the neck view.
Here is the tab for an example of the bar slant.
Here is a downloadable Working version of the Calculator that looks identical to the picture below.
click here

Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Can this be made a sticky I have found this thread very reasourceful
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords