volume pedal build, whatdaya think?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lane Cunningham

volume pedal build, whatdaya think?

Post by Lane Cunningham »

I am currently building a volume pedal and I'd like to get peoples input on things I should add or subtract etc.

This pedal is run on led's and light dependent resistors (ldr's) so that there is no tone loss when turning the vol. down.

The other main function of this pedal is a foot switch so that I can switch between lead (higher vol.) and rhythm (lower vol.) functions. The rhythm function has a pot that controls the brightness of the led so that you can set how loud or quite you want the rhythm to be.

The reason I am building this pedal is so that i can have a full vol. swell in the lead and rhythm functions. Rather than trying to get just the right foot position for the right volume you can just set your max vol. and swell right up to what you want with the full foot pedal.

What do you think? Is this a useful thing to have or is it just a waste of my time to build? Thanks everybody!
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Sounds like it would be worth trying anyway... of course I'm an amateur radio operator and love to experiment...
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

I think it's about time someone brought the volume pedal into the 21st century. I'd love to see what you end up with.
JB
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I'd like to see reverb, delay and overdrive built into the volume pedal!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The short lived Goodrich LDR, used a light dependent resistor. It couldn't compete with the Hilton, in sales, and was discontinued.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
b0b

Post by b0b »

I like the idea of a lead-rhythm switch.

I'd really like to see a combination volume/wah pedal made for steel (jacks on the right, low profile, etc.).
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I'm all for new gear and experiments.
we have had onboard effects on steels like the MSA with distortion string efx, tone, volume, bypass switches, remote reverb, countless stomp boxes, multi efx systems.
There is a new style steel with multiple pickups, onboard controls for efx, which is giving creative players more options.

My 2¢…is go for it.
As long as the learning curve doesn't take away from.actually playing the instrument
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

b0b wrote:I like the idea of a lead-rhythm switch.

I'd really like to see a combination volume/wah pedal made for steel (jacks on the right, low profile, etc.).
Another vote here.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Cunningham

I've thought about adding a tone function in the pedal with another foot switch but for now I'm going to nail down this lead/rhythm pedal. I haven't seen it but I'm sure you can use the LDR's for a tone control instead of your standard pot.

I have both jacks on the right and the rhythm vol. control pot on the left hand side. I am using an old morley case right now so it's pretty bulky. Once I get all the resistors and such just right I will probably make something smaller.

It seems like the morley lil alligator pedal is the same concept as this pedal I am making but from what I can tell it when you go into the lead function it is overdriven...anybody have any experience with these?

I will take some pictures soon and also of the schematic I came up with.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

A simple boost pedal built in will cover a lead / rhythm issue

As far as a combination volume and wah I think that will be way more complicated .

Who.made the fuzzy covered pedals years ago...? I may still have a Fox fuzz wah
Lane Cunningham

If you take one lead of an LDR and hook it to your signal going to the output jack and put a cap on the other lead and connect that to ground that should mimic a pot tone control. In order to make this function work you'd have to have another switch that would disable the vol. control while you are in the tone function.
I want to mess with this once I get the vol. pedal just right.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I had all but forgotten that i had an original Foxx Fuzz Wah in my old road case..
It looks like they have been re issued too..

here's a pic

I used it on 6 string never on steel..
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

...now that's what I would call a loaded pedal...
b0b

Post by b0b »

Thanks for posting that Fuzz-Wah, Bo. It looks like in volume pedal mode, it turns into a passive 100k pot pedal. 100k doesn't work well with pedal steel pickups.

The innerds look like a mad scientist project! :whoa:
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

b0b wrote:I like the idea of a lead-rhythm switch.

I'm sure it's no one's idea of a perfect, modern "lossless" vol pedal, but I still like my old Fender vol/tone pedal. You can easily compensate for any perceived loss of highs with a simple twist of your foot - something I do pretty much unconsciously at this point.
Gary Jones

Post by Gary Jones »

Not to get too far off-topic, but the foxx tone machine was my favorite fuzz tone from that era. It had an octave switch that allowed a high overtone that was pretty cool, rather like an Octavia pedal.
The Emmons guitar company sold this unit, with their name on it, as competition with the Boss Tone sold by Sho-Bud. Also,the Emmons String machine had 3 of these units in it.I also seem to remember that Emmons sold that exact volume/fuzz pedal
Lane Cunningham

the fender vol/tone pedal seems really cool but expensive and maybe hard to master...?
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

This sounds like a very worthy project. Many "boosts" applied to a single circuit are pretty narrow and spiky; there have been a number of happy accidents: the Tube Screamer that Took Over the World, and all those earlier British guys with a "treble booster" in between a Les Paul and a Marshall or HiWatt (no more treble can get past goosed-to-deathwish Celestion 30's but it changes the gain structure through the amp). But there had to be a lot of unhappy accidents to get there, because the overall effect depends heavily on the exact amp and speakers too. It seems like a more dependably-great sounding, versatile rig would basically have two separate preamp tonal chains, one more boosty than the other. So MANY rock guitarists are still using an essentially-clean boost early in the chain, just to get enough meat into it for the controls to chew on.... Not-Safe-For-Vegetarians imagery, sorry. (Round these parts, the Sarno BB & Li'l Izzy users abound, somewhat the same function).

Every review of pedals with hidden knobs ALWAYS says they wish the knobs were on top, so they can crawl around on the floor in their magazine office, I guess? For a pedal designed to be used blind under a steel, I'd prefer most of the controls either on the bottom under a panel or, if on the sides, with completely-overhanging balcony or guard. If you're just about to lay into your ~Giant, Emoto, Nookie-Magnet Solo~ and you begin by kicking all the knobs around trying to find the damn thing.... :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: I've piled up layers of cork or rubber under a knob just to make it harder to turn.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Steel guitars don't need a boost - they have a pretty hot output - but a volume cut that leaves the full taper of the pedal intact is a useful idea in my opinion.

I don't know why they took the volume and tone knobs off of our guitars. Who ever made that stupid decision?
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

My first MSA had tone & volume and a bypass which allowed me to do that cut with the toggle
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

Hmm...at the same time, could adding a volume know to your steel accomplish the same concept?

Have you seen rush pahl's setup https://nashvilleprosteel.com/category.cfm/cid/6

gordon
Lane Cunningham

I have a volume and tone knob on my steel but i like the feel of using my foot and having both hands free. I guess I should mention that all of my favorite steel is pre elvis pretty much, so not really many effects going on.
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

If you are going to have the Volume change via a foot switch on the pedal, I would do it opposite of a wah-wah pedal and have the click activated when at 0 volume, you don't want to switch the setting from 1/2 to full volume with the volume fully engaged.

Gordon
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Gordon Hartin wrote:If you are going to have the Volume change via a foot switch on the pedal, I would do it opposite of a wah-wah pedal and have the click activated when at 0 volume, you don't want to switch the setting from 1/2 to full volume with the volume fully engaged.

Gordon
YES!! And easier to engage at the heel than the toe when seated.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

b0b wrote:Steel guitars don't need a boost - they have a pretty hot output - but a volume cut that leaves the full taper of the pedal intact is a useful idea in my opinion.

I don't know why they took the volume and tone knobs off of our guitars. Who ever made that stupid decision?
I remember a post a few years ago when a sacred steeler asked a similar question b0b....seems like someone told him that's what volume pedals were for. Maybe it's time to revisit the volume and tone pots on pedal steel guitar. Seems to me that would be a less cost prohibitive solution rather than a new "super volume pedal" that everyone will disagree on. Just Sayin' (thank you Herb) :lol:
D.S. Rigsby