Susan Alcorn

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Daly

Susan Alcorn

Post by Mike Daly »

Last Saturday evening I had the pleasure of hearing Susan Alcorn do a solo set here in Nashville. What a pleasure to meet her and listen to her perform. Her dedication to her art and the steel guitar should truly be inspiring to any musician, steel player or otherwise , who is striving to make a completely unique and personal approach to their music. Correct my spelling if needed... She was playing an Anapeg 12 string guitar made by the Australian guitar maker Noal Anstead running thru a Ken Fox amp. She sounded amazing. If you have the chance, do yourself a favor and see her live. And a very sweet person...! Thank you Susan...
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Susan is a true musical genius. In my opinion, she is the most brilliant steel guitarist on the planet. Nobody else even begins to come close.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

The world's premier Avant Garde de la Steele Guitare.

(i really don't know French)

and indeed... even her online forum vibe is sweet.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I agree, Mike P.
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

I'm with the Mikes. Susan has an incredible sense of artistry. I admire and treasure her work. Truly special.
Anders Eriksson

Post by Anders Eriksson »

I agree with all of you!
Susan is a great musician that have chosen (thank you) to play her music on the Pedal Steel Guitar

It's i pity though that she live in such a outta-the-way part of the world!Wait, that me that lives there :wink:

The new album Soledad is really good!
You can get it from Relative Pitch Records
http://relativepitchrecords.com/releases/rpr1032.html

// Anders
Fessenden D-10, Stage One S-10, Peavey Nashville 112, Boss LMB-3, Goodrich 120; Regal RD-38VS Resonator
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Susan played in Austin April 16, with Bob Hoffnar.
Stephen Cowell has posted a video he did, the debut of 'Crepuscular Dreams' written for pedal steel/ trombone quartet.
http://youtu.be/zeU8psTAejw
The work is very inventive, beginning with a sound that evokes Buddhist monks chanting.
She is a pioneer of pedal steel, approaching her life and art as one.

Of several works on Utube, one of my favorites is Three Waters.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

That's interesting, because on that same night, I had the pleasure of meeting an incredible and inspiring steel guitarist named Mike Daly. I had long admired his playing, especially his two solo albums, and it was such a joy to meet and spend a bit of time with him.

As for genius and brilliance, two subjective terms, I don't consider myself a genius, and I'm definitely not the sharpest of the bunch, nor the most brilliant on the planet (though thanks, Mike P!) when it comes to the pedal steel steel guitar.
With the steel guitar and music in general, I try to follow and be faithful to my own muse wherever it leads me. So the only thing I can lay the tiniest claim to be the best at is being myself and to express a certain musical vision. In that respect, we who play the steel guitar, all of us, are brilliant shining lights, each in our own unique way in whatever we choose to play and express coming from our hearts on this so very beautiful and expressive instrument (our mind).

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 19 Apr 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Well said, Susan!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Susan Alcorn wrote:
As for genius and brilliance, two subjective terms, I don't consider myself a genius, and I'm definitely not the sharpest of the bunch, nor the most brilliant on the planet (though thanks, Mike P!) when it comes to the pedal steel steel guitar.
With the steel guitar and music in general, I try to follow and be faithful to my own muse wherever it leads me. So the only thing I can lay the tiniest claim to b the best at is being myself and to express a certain musical vision. In that respect, we who play the steel guitar, all of us, are brilliant shining lights, each in our own unique way in whatever we choose to play and express coming from our hearts on this so very beautiful and expressive instrument (our mind).
Fair enough, and I like my playing, but I wish I had your chops and your ears. Sail on.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I heard Susan playing in St. Louis a few years ago and her playing had me spellbound from the very first note. If somebody can create imagination with playing, it is Susan Alcorn. I remember sitting in the front row and closing my eyes after a little while and just let the music dig into me. Mike D. said it perfectly when he called Susan's approach "art". That's what it is!

Kind Regards, Walter