Left Handed Pedal Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Kotula

Left Handed Pedal Steel

Post by Tony Kotula »

Does anyone know of any builders who will make a lefty other than GFI & EXCEL? I wrote Emmons a yr. ago and the response was " we are low on l.h. parts. And as soon as we get some we will contact you!" well still no reply there. And I lost interest in an Emmons for that.
I have an Excel 2000 and a GFI ultra uni 12. Love them both. Now considering another! Thanks for reading!
left handed Excel Dl0, left handed GFI UNI 12 Ultra, 2 n.ville 400's, DD3,Lexcicon MPX100...
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I've seen pictures of a left handed Jackson Steel
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Tony, I would be delighted to build you a left handed guitar.
Feel free to call me at 480-986-2599 and we'll discuss it.
Here is the prettiest lefty I've built. The man plays left on top and right footed on the pedals.
I can put you in contact with him if you like.

Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Just beautiful, Fred!
“TONESNOB”
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

BILL RUDOLPH At Williams Guitar Will Build You A "Lefty". :)

Roger
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

there is a nice lefty Emmons p/p for sale on the forum right now...
Db
Tony Kotula

Post by Tony Kotula »

Fred I remember when you built this steel! The proud owner posted pics! It's awesome for sure! I will be in touch soon! Thank you for your replies!!
left handed Excel Dl0, left handed GFI UNI 12 Ultra, 2 n.ville 400's, DD3,Lexcicon MPX100...
Nicholas Ackron

Post by Nicholas Ackron »

Mullen
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

In the 90s, a steel player named Monte Good had worked with country singer John Michael Montgomery. He played a left handed Derby
Jim Park

Re: left handed steel

Post by Jim Park »

Brett, I have a funny story about Monte and his left-handed steel. In 19 ninety sum thin he was playing for Neil McCoy. They played a show in Reno , and I was in one of the bands that opened for him. I offered to let him use my guitar to avoid have him carry his up the stairs to the stage. He said "Nawww thanx anyway" I said "It's a Push Pull Emmons 8 and 4 pretty standard!" He replied "I have mine set up a little different" and It took me a minute to figure it out. He was a super nice guy! I have seen him on youtube fronting and singing on Lower Broadway
Tony Kotula

Post by Tony Kotula »

I heard of Monte! wow...great stories!! I checked out Williams & Mullen!! Awesmome... I might have to move some of my lefty gear ... lol
Bob Grado

Post by Bob Grado »

I've been playing a lefty williams that Bill made for me back in 2000 and I couldn't be more happy with it.

He's also in the process of making me a new one that that should be ready later this month. I'm "chompin at the bit" waiting for this one.

You will never go wrong with a Williams.
Cody Diffee

Post by Cody Diffee »

looking for a left handed steel. Do you know of any available? thanks
Tony Kotula

lefty steel

Post by Tony Kotula »

Hi Cody, are you looking for anything in particular in a left handed steel?
Cody Diffee

Post by Cody Diffee »

Just a single neck 3 pedal basic setup. Haven't been able to find anything as of yet unless I want to have custom made and wait 6 months
James Holland

Post by James Holland »

Hey Tony and Cody - There have been only a couple or three posted on the list over the past 3 years, all nice professional models. If you need to economize with a "student" model, Stage One or Bob Simmons have options in the $1000 range. A few years back, Stage One was only a six week wait. Both build professional grade guitars too. The good thing about a new lefty in the $1000 range, is you will have no problem finding a buyer. The numbers interested in the $2000+ range are much fewer though. And if you need to move some good lefty gear, let us know.
Tony Kotula

lefty gear

Post by Tony Kotula »

Hi James, I was wondering, do you have a music store? or? I have a beautiful L.h.GFI ULTRA UNI 12 made for me in 2010. 7x5 Emmons/Newman set up. I changed the Geo. L to a Wallace Truetone.I bought it because I alway's wanted to try one. And never being able to demo one, I went by what I see, hear and know from other players... GFI craftsmanship is 2nd to none in my book. I still play my D10 more than the uni... it is in A-1 cond. I was thinking of selling it. I see what the new ones cost now in a lefty. All are custom builds and are direct order at list price. I have a selling price in mind. What do you think it worth? I know finding a buyer may be tough if I should decide to sell. I would need the $$ for another one. Thanks for reading!
Cody Diffee

Post by Cody Diffee »

Tony, how much do you want for it? Thanks