Bud Carter..Memorial Service Info...

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

If you didn't know Bud...it was your loss.
Tim Herman

Thank you Sir

Post by Tim Herman »

I really wish I could shake his hand and thank him. I have only ever played MSA's and Carter's.
C E Holden

Post by C E Holden »

"Designed by Bud Carter"
Amen.
"il brutto"
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Sorry to hear this, Bud was a Great ol Friend, and guitar builder... He will be missed..... R.I P Bud....
Last edited by David Wright on 23 Mar 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Bud was an amazing human being. I can't count the number of times, I was sitting in the shop with he, and Larry, someone would bring their guitar in, and begin explaining to Bud what they thought was wrong with it. Before they could even finish explaining, Bud would turn the guitar over, and say, "Here's your problem."
I'm not sure many people know what a truly great musician he was. He could play anything, any style, anytime. He taught me so much about music theory, and playing psg, to him, was just common sense. I could sit for hours, listening to him tell stories, discuss, and explain music theory. Even when he would talk about the mechanics of psg, most of wich I didn't understand, he made it so interesting. He had such an incredible mind.

He was so humble, and I learned so much from Him. The last time I was at his, and Cleo's, home, as I was leaving, he gave me a hug, and told me, "You go home and make sure you just enjoy that guitar." That is what steel guitar was to Bud, joy.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

so very saddened to hear of this news this afternoon, wonderful man, friend to all and a wealth of knowledge that he was always willing to share.

RIP Bud, thanks for all you have done for us....
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

So sad to hear this. Bud was truly a legend in his own time. He was "pedal steel guitar, personified". Such a loss.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Rest in peace, Mr. Carter, and thank you.
Bob Kindy

Post by Bob Kindy »

It was my honor to have known Bud for over 30 years.
He was a good man and a giant in the steel guitar world. We all will miss him and his knowledge. Rest in Peace my friend. Our prayers for comfort to the family.
Tom Palmer

Post by Tom Palmer »

Bud was always very kind to me. I always looked forward to visiting with him at the shows. RIP
Marlin Gengenbach

Bud

Post by Marlin Gengenbach »

I always looked forward to visiting with Bud
at the Dallas shows, and otherwise several times
on the phone. He was the reason I purchased
a Carter several years ago (now replaced by
a Rains). He will sorely be missed. God rest his soul.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

RIP mr carter. Your work will continue to be heard for many years.
pdlstl

Post by pdlstl »

The man of a thousand chords...Bud Carter. RIP brother.
Micky Byrne

Re: Bud Carter

Post by Micky Byrne »

I am so sad to hear the sad news. The man whom so many players and builders have admired has gone. I often watch the youtube clip of your induction into the Hall of Fame. Bud, I am so glad I play one of your Universals. May you rest in peace, and condolences to your wife and family xx

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Johnny Case

Post by Johnny Case »

I am very sad to hear that Bud Carter has passed. He is someone I've respected since I first met him in 1964. I called Bud last summer and we talked for 40 minutes on various subjects, but mostly about music. He was a masterful and innovative designer/builder of pedal steels, a very gifted musician on standard and steel guitars, and he was truly a good spirit...a man of great integrity. My sincere condolences go to his family.
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

This is sad news indeed.

I went to the Carter shop in Mesquite several years ago, and John and Ann Fabian weren't there (that time) but Bud was. He took the time to show me the guitars and let me test drive one, and all I can say is that he was just a really down-to-earth, swell guy...and to be certain, ever Carter I've ever played was extraordinary. I've owned more guitars designed and/or built by Bud Carter than I can remember... I have a great deal of respect for him. Having met him and used so many of his guitars, how could I not?

Rest in peace, Bud; and God bless his family and loved ones. He was a true icon of steel guitar.
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

I haven't been here in a while and just saw this. I also went to the Carter shop in Mesquite several years ago and John showed me around and introduced to Bud. Bud was so busy doing what he was doing. Both true gentlemen and now both gone. RIP Bud.
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Mike Brown

Carter

Post by Mike Brown »

I have fond memories of Bud at the Texas Steel Jamboree shows. A fine man. RIP, Bud my friend.
Larry Waisner

Post by Larry Waisner »

Rest in Peace Bud..........
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Friend to all he met. Mind like a steel trap. Never forgot a face. Bud helped me many times. Practical mechanical genius. The "Eli Whitney" of Pedal Steel.
My condolences. Peace be with You Bud.

Bill
Jerry Foster

Bud Carter

Post by Jerry Foster »

so sorry to here Bud has passed away. we pray for his family,Iam still playing a 2004 D-10 Carter & I love it.Jerry Foster
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Godspeed Bud Carter
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7