Making the action stiffer on Mullen Royal Precision?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Metz Jr.

Making the action stiffer on Mullen Royal Precision?

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

I know this is an odd request but I am looking for information on Stiffening up the pedals on my Mullen RP. I have already raised them quite a bit to get that sort of Emmons PP feel but they are just so easy to press that I cannot get fast pedal licks accurate enough. Does anybody have the solotion? Thank you.
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Martin Weenick

Post by Martin Weenick »

I don't know if Mullen uses return springs on the pedal bell cranks or not, but if they do you can go to a heavier spring, or maybe shorten the existing spring if it has one. Martin
Several custom steels. NV-112 Boss DD-7
Darrell Birtcher

Post by Darrell Birtcher »

Sounds like you need to change the leverages. You can do this by altering which bell crank and changer holes the rods are in.

You may want to start by contacting Mullen directly and asking their advice for a shorter, stiffer, pedal throw, while still retaining the proper timing. By timing, I mean the start and stop points of the raises when pulling more than one string.

If you want to open the can of worms yourself, here's the basics: On the bellcranks and changer, the further the pull rod is from the axle, the shorter and stiffer the pull is going to be. You'll also need to change the pedal stop points, and you may even end up trying different string gauges to achieve your goals.

There's been a lot of threads written on this stuff. You'll want to make a rodding chart to document your existing setup before starting, to use as a baseline.
It can be frustrating but rewarding to come up with a setup to your liking. Keeping good notes as you go can save you time, especially if it drags on over several sessions, which it will. Fortunately, Mullen RP's and PRP's are great to work on.

Be patient, and good luck!
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Hi Jeff, what gauge strings are you using on the looser pedals?
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the easiest way i can think of would be to just get a big fat strip of foam rubber and place it underneath the pedals. this way no damage will be done to the steel by trying to make it perform worse.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Perform worse????? So, if you can't play it in your bare feet it's not performing properly!! That's some misguided thinking there!
Best regards,
Mike
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Mike, most of the advances in steel mechanics have been trying to make them easier to play, and that's widely regarded as better. Ergo, it must be a retrograde step to stiffen them up.
Next thing you know, he'll be wanting to play with the timing so it's notchy like a push-pull. :mrgreen: :lol: :whoa:
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Mike Wheeler wrote:Perform worse????? So, if you can't play it in your bare feet it's not performing properly!! That's some misguided thinking there!
Let's see. Where does the playing in bare feet come in here? I've gone back and re-read the replies several times now and can't find the words "bare feet" in any post. Jeff is trying to make the pedals stiffer, which would make it harder to play in bare feet. While I don't necessarily agree with Chris' post, you should have some facts before you question or attack someone's answer.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

thanks fellas. obviously my foam rubber cushion was a little tongue in cheek. i should have said 'set up in a sandbox' that will slow the action down.

when i got my zum long ago i did lengthen the pull timing slightly to allow a little more room for 'feel', but the action was still light and just required a little more of a delicate touch than my old sho~bud had required.

ps...playing in the sandbox would feel good on your bare footsies!
Last edited by chris ivey on 6 Apr 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I would say what I have often said, "play the guitar, don't let the guitar play you". As a relative "newbie" (from your posts on the forum) "good" pedal technique which does not require "stomping" on the pedals is part of the learning process.

I went from a D-10 PP Emmons to my current D-10 Franklin, which has much easier pedal feel. I didn't have any problems with speed or pedaling.

Consider Paul Franklin, who plays an "easy to pedal" Franklin. He doesn't have any problems with fast licks. Tommy White is currently playing a Mullen and its obvious from hearing him that he does not have any problem playing fast licks.

my 2 cents.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Chris is hilarious. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Not too long ago my pedals were feeling a little bit looser than what I was used to. I double checked the manufacturer's suggested string gauges for my copedant, and on one of the G#'s and one of the B's the string gauges I was using were undervalued. I put on the right gauges and the action was much firmer, not loose at all. Loose pedals don't allow for good expression.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Well, that's what I get for trying to be too brief. lol! I was referring to Chris' comment alluding to heavier pedal action being a degradation of performance. I don't believe that's true. It's simply a personal choice. I, and some others, enjoy a firm pedal action. I play in shoes, or western boots, and the firmer action allows me to feel the pedals.
Lane Gray wrote:Mike, most of the advances in steel mechanics have been trying to make them easier to play, and that's widely regarded as better. Ergo, it must be a retrograde step to stiffen them up.
Yes, Lane, I understood what he meant, and am very aware of the newer guitars' mechanisms. I simply disagree with that line of thinking....that easier is better...no matter if it's a popular concept, or not.
Richard Sinkler wrote:Let's see. Where does the playing in bare feet come in here? I've gone back and re-read the replies several times now and can't find the words "bare feet" in any post. Jeff is trying to make the pedals stiffer, which would make it harder to play in bare feet. While I don't necessarily agree with Chris' post, you should have some facts before you question or attack someone's answer.
OK, Richard. Please read my response above. My post was regarding Chris' post, not Jeff's. Also, what "facts" are you referring to? And "attacking"??? I was not "attacking" anyone. But I guess nowadays disagreeing is considered "attacking". I disagree with that, too.
Best regards,
Mike
Norbert Dengler

Post by Norbert Dengler »

why not just buy a push pull?
sounds likely better than a mullen and is as stiff as it gets :D
kyle reid

Emmons?

Post by kyle reid »

Sounds better than a Mullen? I never heard one that did.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

:whoa: uh oh ... here we go, be right back, time to get some pop corn :wink:

Jeff Metz Jr.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Sorry for such a can of worms! I just switched from factory strings to Live steel strings a ways back and That's when I noticed the different feel in the pedals. Its Not so much an unfamiliar feel, but rather it seems the pedals don't stick to my feet as much as they did with the last strings. I believe mullen guitars come with GHS strings but I am not sure. Does someone know? But anyway the recommended gauges in the Mullen owners manual are different than what Live steel standard Nickel sets include. So I figure that different gauges are the issue. I will try a custom set next time! Thanks for all your replies!
-Jeff
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Yes Jeff, we use GHS strings. Another thing you can do is remove the helper springs on strings 3,4,5,6,10. These are the smaller springs that are close to the guitar body. Those help the raises pull easier. It should make them a little stiffer. The next best approach if it is still a problem would be to actually add some resistance springs to the guitar. Not common, but I'm sure it can be done.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

those live steel strings must be a little too lively for your hypersensitive touch!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I tried a set of Live Steel strings and some are larger gauge than the "Nashville" gauges. I had to retune all the raises and lowers because of the different gauges but I didn't notice any difference in pedal action.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

bump
Last edited by Johnie King on 7 Apr 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

maybe there's some other problem.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Image Finding the right pedal feel for your playing style . Made easier with sliding conector ball.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Chris, let me know where you get those red spring shoes. I can use them to power wash the gable ends on my house. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,