Amp position - what a change

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

My amp has tilt back legs. I would use them but I prefer the amp on the case so the top is level. I like to put shakers, slide, harmonicas picks etc. on top for easy reach. I have slight tinnitus in my left ear, which may be another reason why I like to set up on stage right with the amp on my right side. I always wear earplugs.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

On the floor...more low end. Sometimes it helps you.
Gary Meixner

Post by Gary Meixner »

A few year ago I went through a period where I investigated this issue in some detail. Improving my tone was part of the reason but more important to me was consistency of tone from one venue to the next. I found by elevating the amp helped to decouple it from the stage removing it as a variable. It also seemed to lessen the effect that the kick drum and bass amp had on my sound which I perceived as a less muddy bass response.

I also found keeping the amp back behind me about 10-15 feet resolved some of the issues with comb filtering giving me a more complete and consistent frequency response.

I started using one of the amp stands that Kevin Milner has pictured on his response and I think the thing is great. It folds up to be just a little longer than my Goodrich volume pedal and stows easily in my gear bag. It is strong, lite weight, and supports my Music Mann HD 130/210 combo amp just fine, although I usually use a much smaller amp.

It is quite surprising to me how different an amp will sound when you move just the slightest in one direction or another. A sound man that I work with quite often has commented that he appreciates me putting the amp on a stand saying that it makes his job easier - I am not sure why that is.

Gary Meixner
Michael Remming

Post by Michael Remming »

I've had very good results with my Roland Cube tilted on my TuffCase. Left side and angled so to the band so the guitar player can here me.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

My room has hardwood floors and I find sometimes I like the amp right on the floor. I find it bri gs out a diferent character in the soud that fills the room. When I am with my loud band I like the speaker pointed at my ears and off the ground.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

I use a Harbinger V2112 power speaker that has a tilt back made into the cabinet. I point it angle up at me from the side or behind.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

Actually, Roy Buchanan used a Vibrolux, not a Twin
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

Actually what I like best is when the amp is on the drum riser directly behind me or when the stage is so small that only the drums and bass can fit and the rest of the band plays on the floor this way my amp is raised slightly but for practical purposes still on the floor. Obviously this is only possible in certain clubs.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Didnt Roy Buchanan crank all of the knobs hard to the right and turn his amp around backwards on stage.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

Quentin Hickey wrote:Didnt Roy Buchanan crank all of the knobs hard to the right and turn his amp around backwards on stage.
Yep, and he controlled the volume from the guitar.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I point the amp angled up when I'm setting my tone. But after I have found "my" sound, I set it flat on the floor, so the sound can propogate under me. After studying the sound of many steelers with amps tilted up, blowing at their backs, I found that most of them were blocking their own best sound - okay if you're miked, I guess. But I just hate playing with someone else controlling how I sound. :aside:
Alan W. Black

Post by Alan W. Black »

We just had a thread that has a lot of differing opinions http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... c&start=25
Myself - a milkcrate cut to a preferred angle with a jigsaw.
James Holland

Post by James Holland »

Ive been using a cube 80X sitting on top of a 115 extension cab with a JBL D120 in it. So I get the 12" closer to the ear, while the 15" gets some floor effect - the classic combo stacked on an extension. I've been experimenting with angled floor stands, and the tilt legs on my Twin.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

In the late sixties I had this amp

The brand sold another version of these amp stands with their combo amp

Very effective on stage!
I would buy this last one in any state only for those tilt leg/wheels
Jerry Tillman

amp stand

Post by Jerry Tillman »

I use a long neck beer bottle.You can slide it in and out to get different angles.Coors lite and bud lite sound the best.Empty of coarse.Thanks Jerry