Fast As You - Problem Solved

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

The keyboard player and guitar player swap back and forth and it sounds great. I don't play some crap and ruin the flow.

I probably will get by not having to play a solo in the song. I'm stubborn and would maybe like to come up with something. The reason being, about every 4th or 5th gig, the bass player will lean over and ask if I want a solo. I just tell him no. And, that is pretty much the end of it. But last Saturday (the day I was battling that dead string, so I was already in a bad mood), the bass player does his asking, I say no, and then the band leader announces over the PA for me to take a solo, and I shake my head no. Then the keyboard player, bass player and girl singer join in, OVER THE PA. So even if I wanted a solo, the solo time was already in progress and I would have to jump in mid solo. This was so embarrassing. I had a meltdown at break and chewed the leaders ass out, along with the rest of the band. I told them "you don't F'n embarrass me onstage", and gave my notice. They said that they thought I play a solo in the song, which I never have with them. By the end of the night we patched things up.

One consolation is, because of the issues I have been having with the nerves and tendons in my right arm being damaged, I'm probably dwindling down to maybe my last 6 months (or less) of being able to play, well, at least in public anyway. It is painful to play and I have almost lost complete control of my middle finger (it misses strings I am try to pick, and sometimes just randomly falls back on the strings). My whole hand is weak. My doctor has put in requests for a referral to a neurologist, but it has been about 4 or 5 months, and the neurology department at the hospital has not scheduled me in yet. I gave her the name of an outside Neurologist I used when I had these problems, surgeries, back in 2005, but she has not returned my doctors calls.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ollin Landers

Post by Ollin Landers »

We fired our guitar player a while back and I took over the duties of 6 string along with PSG. I try my best to do as much PSG as I can.

So I play the vamp and when it gets to the solo I just crank up the distortion and play some Duanne Allman inspired licks. I play a combination of B6 and pedals down sort of A6th mode.

You think "Fast as You" is bad....
Zum SD-12 Black, Zum SD-12 Burly Elm Several B-Bender Tele's and a lot of other gear I can't play.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Richard Sinkler

I can actually think of stuff to use with an envelope filter, but I don't have one. The parts using straight steel doesn't sound that good.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

There's so many people watching this thread, I'll put out a call for backing track. I'll do something Monday.
Richard, you lower 6 a whole, right?
If I can recall your copedent, I'll try to avoid changes I have that you lack. I'll certainly avoid the ones you have that I lack.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Richard Sinkler

I do lower 6 and split it. My tunings:

http://www.richard-sinkler.com/tunings.html
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Right on. Anything I can play, you can find. Except for the Franklin pedal, which I don't use much.
Last edited by Lane Gray on 24 Mar 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donny Hinson

Re: Fast As You

Post by Donny Hinson »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Not sure where to post this, but, as with every other country band known to man, my band plays this absolutely horrible song...I have never been able to come up with anything that sounded good and wasn't embarrassing...What do you guys play in the song?
Seriously? Shades of Henry Mancini. Well, I've found his old "Peter Gunn" theme fits right in! Just play the sax lines and trade off with with the lead man. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-b5PLhrEI
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

If song is in E, you can milk some of that 10th fret starting with strings 4 and 5 rocking on to A pedal for a 7th
Richard Sinkler

Yeah Bobby. I could, and have, do that. But it sounds too much like what I do in 2 or 3 other songs. Honestly, the best thing for this song is to let the organ and guitar take everything. I don't need to take solos in every song. That is what the band thinks.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Richard -
I feel your pain. Really.
My shoulder is so bad I can hardly use a knife to cut some french toast today.
Hang in there bro!
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Bobby Hearn wrote:If song is in E, you can milk some of that 10th fret starting with strings 4 and 5 rocking on to A pedal for a 7th
That does work good Bobby, use it all time. :)
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Here is from my 2015 BIAB file with "Fast as You" imported midi.
After it loads click on "lead sheet" for notation. For older versions just click on notation.
The parts are real easy to hear and simple to play with just a little listening and practice. The chord chart alone gives you a lot of ideas.
BIAB file
midi file
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

I guess we all have a song or two, that we hate to play. Mine is "Waltz Across Texas"! With all the great music coming out of Texas, I don't know how this one snuck in! I would rather play "Fast As You", and "Guitars and Cadillacs" all night long, than do that one time! :aside: I have no issue with the lyrics. Just the two chords, and the "watching paint dry", speed! -Jake-
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

James, may I suggest that, with that one, just learn the basic Charleton ride, and just play it as purty as you can?
There are only a handful of solos that make me think "I'm not gonna think of a better line, so I'll just play it like the record", and that's one. I'll play with phrasing and inflection, but stick to the blueprint.

Side note: Karen, do you either drop 6 a whole, or raise 7 a whole?
Richard Sinkler

I really don't like "Waltz Across Texas", but I love playing it. There's so many ways to embellish the melody so it stays true to the song, but let's you add some of YOU into the song. Those are the types of songs when you can shine.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I don't mind playing Waltz Across Texas but the singer never gets it right.
They are suppose to say "Ah Buddy now" when I start into my solo. What's their problem? They never get it right. :x
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Honestly, the best thing for this song is to let the organ and guitar take everything.
That would be my answer as well… :D
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i like playing it...and mustang sally. long as you have a grooving band.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

I like playing "out of the box" stuff like this. I try to think "I'm playing MUSIC not PEDAL STEEL GUITAR!!! The Steel Guitar is only the TOOL I'm playing MUSIC on.I don't use a distortion device. I try to imply the mood by my phrasing. I play in the house band at a local open mike night. We play Hendrix and Beatles things among others. I like it because it ISN'T country, although I LOVE Classic Country, and play in a couple of Classic Country bands. For my own entertainment I'm trying to work up an arrangement of "Holiday For Strings" by David Rose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi4M-sXZ440
I'm by NO WAY a monster technical player. I just love to play music and Pedal Steel Guitar is a great tool to play music on.
Richard Sinkler

Bo Legg wrote:I don't mind playing Waltz Across Texas but the singer never gets it right.
They are suppose to say "Ah Buddy now" when I start into my solo. What's their problem? They never get it right. :x
Singer???
steve takacs

After you, sir

Post by steve takacs »

Richard, the next time the bass player ask if you want to do a solo just smile and tell him: "After you, sir."

I must say though, I'm one guy who likes "Fast as You" and am a big Dwight Yoakam fan and I always looks forward to playing the song but play it on 6 string guitar.

I will try it on steel at home the next few days and if I come up with anything reasonable, I will chime in. stevet
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Honestly, the best thing for this song is to let the organ and guitar take everything.
That would be my answer as well… :D
I think steel guitar has a future in creating sounds--organ, choir, strings (it has them); it seems it was built for it,
particularly when the song hangs on the root for too long.

I like Steve T.'s advice, "After you, sir." While 'sir' does that, laying down chords with unconventional voicings,
giving the piece texture, seems a good way to explore that territory.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Jerry-
Holiday for Strings is an AWESOME song!

Here is another version by Roy Lanham:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/431 ... trings.mp3
Richard Sinkler

The "after you sir" thing wouldn't work. The bass player is really good and would probably play a good solo.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Would thinking "What would Tom Brumley do?" be a good approach? He seemed to do well with what he was handed by Buck and Rick...