Seeking Some Pointers for Recording into Garage Band

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Hershey

Seeking Some Pointers for Recording into Garage Band

Post by Mark Hershey »

I have an Apogee one and I use a direct input with guitar through a Garageband amp to record my ideas.

Any pointers for best way to record pedal steel into Garageband mostly for just practice purposes. I really just want to record along with jam tracks and listen back to my playing.

Many thanks!
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

For practice purposes, I use basically the same approach as you describe for your guitar on PSG as well. It's actually easier for me to get a decent recorded sound going direct and using the software's amp simulator than trying to mic my amp when I am trying to keep it quite enough not to wake my family up. I just set the amp simulator for a cleaner sound than I would typically use for guitar. Other than that, pretty much the same deal.
Williams S-10, Beard R-model, Gibson BR-4 lap steel, Fender lap steel, Brownface Princeton, Goodsell Custom 33, 70's Tele Thinline, Fubar Twangmaster, Fubar Custom Buckarooster, Collings CJ Mh flattop
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

John Owen wrote:For practice purposes, I use basically the same approach as you describe for your guitar on PSG as well. It's actually easier for me to get a decent recorded sound going direct and using the software's amp simulator than trying to mic my amp when I am trying to keep it quite enough not to wake my family up. I just set the amp simulator for a cleaner sound than I would typically use for guitar. Other than that, pretty much the same deal.
You have any suggestions for settings? I've tried tooling around and haven't been able to find a reasonable sound.

Perhaps its just a matter of tweaking the volume and master level until I find something I can live with.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

I don't recall exact settings at the moment. I have been using Logic Express instead of Garage Band for quite a while. Some of the plug-ins in Logic Express are from Garage Band and others are just in Logic. Not sure which are which off the top of my head.

I'll try to take a look when I get home. In general though, I tend to go with a pretty low setting on the volume/gain knob (around 2 or 3 on a scale of 10) and adjust the 'master' volume to taste. I also tend to roll back the treble to 3 or 4 and boost the mid and low a little. Obviously though, that stuff is totally up to personal taste. If it still sounds thin after messing with the eq settings, you might try a dash of light compression (comp ratio of 2:1 or lower). If you go that route, I'd suggest starting with one of the 'light compression' presets for vocals and adjusting from there. Don't tell the compressor police on SGF though.
Mark Hershey

Post by Mark Hershey »

I apologize, I didn't realize there was a recording section on the forum...I started a different thread over there. Thanks for your response John, I will try that out.