Quilter Steelaire Pro Amp Review - Lots of Sounds and Pics!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Lee

Quilter

Post by Dennis Lee »

Yes, Marco, this definitely makes sense. Well, I'm in the process of unloading some excess equipment, and plan to get the combo Quilter sometime soon.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

My first gig with the Quilter went very well! The amp is plenty loud and clean and sounds great. It was a quick, light setup and tear down... just my S-10, volume pedal and amp. 5 minutes to set up everything and 2 minutes to tear down. It took me a few minutes to dial in the sound I was looking for. I ended up with: BASS 9, LO-MID 6, HI-MID 6, TREB 5. The sound is quite a bit different than the Steel King, with it's big cabinet, that I've been playing through for the past seven years, but the overall sound of the amp is excellent. The guys in the band really liked it and the club manager pointed at me and gave me the "thumbs up" sign, so I must have been doing something right! This amp is a keeper.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I updated my review with pics and sound samples of the amp using the tilt back legs:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Quilter%20St ... 20Pro.html

Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Just got my SteelAire combo.... Yikes!
Couldn't stop grinning... kudos Pat! Great amp!!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

Just wait until the speaker gets broken in, it just keeps getting better.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I played my Quilter out last night for the first time.....it did not let me down... Just a fabulous instrument!!!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I'm happy that it worked out Mickey- I like working with the company- they are first rate and very easy to deal with and very responsive.
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

Just gigged with my new Quilter last night. Wow wow wow! Finally a solid state amp that competes with my vast collection of tube amps. I love, love, love the amp. Perfect? No, but closer than any solid state amp ever especially if you like tubes.

Peavey guys may not like it it, I'd be interested to find out. I could never dial a pleasing sound in on any Peavey I've ever tried so I think there's a preference in sound to my ears that the Quilter has and others do not. Still wrestling with getting my lows bright and chunky. Not sure if it's the cab, speaker or internal EQ yet. The clarity, fatness and smoothness of the highs and mids though far out weigh the bass issues so far.

Not sure if my speaker is broken in or not as I bought slightly used. That may clear up. I play with it on a stand right behind me so players who use on floor may not have that issue.

32lbs? Come on, it sounds so good it could weigh twice that and I'd still use and love it.

Kudos Quilter! Now put an internal delay and additional inputs 1 and 2 on the back for near perfection. Re-locate the power cord too, point it down into the cab so we don't have to remove every time we move the amp.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

memphislim wrote:.......Now put an internal delay and additional inputs 1 and 2 on the back for near perfection.
Also useful, would be to add a "tuner out" and FX loop level knob.
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

My Quilter Steelaire came in Friday at about noon. Glad I did this. It's just perfect as it is for steel. It's a bit *too* perfect for six-string, if that makes any sense. It's a great, honest sound, but ... I may need a few "lies" :)

Just for giggles, I stuck the Behringer Vamp-3 in the F/X loop and it's eminently useable. The "Brit" model seems to be what will be my six-string rockish solution with the amp ( I need it for a couple three Redneck Rawk and Roll cover tunes ). You have to pad the treble down.

I also have a couple of fakey sounding patches on the Vamp for steel - one with tremolo for faking electric piano parts and another for the slightly crunchy Phase 90 sound for them Waylon tunes. It's definitely processed cheese and not fine craft cheese. But sometimes...

So that is a baseline. One of these with a modeller is a pretty powerful combination. I can only imagine what a *good* modeller would do for you. It's just a way to get other colors; the clean Quilter sound is awesome.

I also patched the Super Champ X2 into the speaker - that is a winner. That speaker is worth whatever NRE they put into it. The X2 does not do the "Quilter clean" but the Blackface Twin patch on it ain't half bad.