My new old Sheffield d12 11+2

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matthew Gutting

My new old Sheffield d12 11+2

Post by Matthew Gutting »

Here's my Sheffield d12 11+2. A little unconventional in that pedal 8 is C, 9 B, 10 A, and 11 raises the Es. Right Knee Right lowers D# (string 2) and Right Vertical drops the B on string 5. I'm not sure what's going on with the C neck. None of the copedents I've seen seem to line up with this one. Anybody seen a guitar like this?
Jason Walker

Post by Jason Walker »

Can't say I've ever seen a pedal steel quite like this before, but it looks like it would be fun to play, once you came to grips with the pedals! Where was it built?
One Carter D-10 8+5, one Hilton VP, Peavey Bandit, so far, so good.
Matthew Gutting

Post by Matthew Gutting »

All I've seen online says that it's from Europe. It doesn't have any markings or serial number. It is old, probably 70s. The previous owner told me it once belonged to a guy who played with Hank Sr, but he couldn't remember his name. It's my first steel and it's keeping me busy. I'm afraid playing the E9 pedals with my right foot might be forming a bad habit, though.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

It'd probably be just a couple afternoons' work to move front to back and vice versa
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Not sure , but could be an early Sheffield built by Dave Wheelhouse in the UK.Dave currently builds excellent guitars, and in fact if you search forum I am sure you will find quite a few posts on them.If Dave spots this he will probably chip in.
Type in Sheffield Black Pearl, in Google, and it will bring up example of Dave's work.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Roy Heap

Post by Roy Heap »

Yes I'm thinking you are right Malcolm. One of the first or maybe the first of Dave's guitars.