Why don't Uni players..........

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck McGill

Why don't Uni players..........

Post by Chuck McGill »

I'm sure there's a good reason players that
do D10 and U12 don't tune their C6 to B6. Can anyone answer this question or has this
been done since Seymour wet the bed.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Hey, I have never been alone in bed, it wasn't me!

Really!
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I switched back to the S12 Universal last fall, I also have other steels to play, I tuned my lap steels to B6 when I am playing the S12 Universals. Although I did play C6th for a good while also. but the B6 keeps my mind in the right place when using universal

Ernie Pollock Image

------------------
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

sad to say in a way it would be better to tune your u-12 up to f9/c6. why because so many steel tunes are written using open strings. raisin the dickins, for example, is not impossible on a uni but a little more difficult.Me I play both and it really don't bug me keeps my "adapting"chops up hehehehehe

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

With all due respect, it is better if one learns to adapt to various tunings rather than keeping to just one. Or one base.

One of the most unique things about Jerry
Byrd was and is, his ability to shift from one tuning to the other and never show a peep of indication that he was having a single problem with the notes being in different places.

One great thing about the B6 tuning. Ya don't have to play "Steelin' the Blues" in Db! The rest of the band loves it in C!

Course now, "Remington Ride", we ain't gonna talk about! Image

carl
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

I too am going back and forth between guitars. Just wondered if anyone was doing
it.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Just bought my first U12. Newman set up and I always played a Emmons set up. I may need some pointer's you guys !!
Ed Webster

Post by Ed Webster »

to C Dixon

I play Remington Ride on my U-12 and: use the pedal (6) that raises the 4th and lowers the 8th stg. Play it just like you used to in C6h except you're in D at the 3rd fret. Works great!
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

<SMALL>Play it just like you used to in C6h except you're in D at the 3rd fret.</SMALL>
How do you do the two fret pulloffs from the third fret? Image
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I tune the C6 neck on my Stringmasters to B6 just so all my key positions line up with my U-12. If I had a D-10,I'd do the same thing w/my bottom neck because I have enough to think about as it is. I don't play Remington Ride,Bud's Bounce and all that stuff so none of that means anything to me. If I did,I'd just play it in whatever key was comfortable or invent some new way to play it that's unique to my tuning and to the way I think.Anyhow,all the knuckleheads I play with can play in any key no problem. Besides,I like weird keys like Eb,Ab,C#,etc even w/no pedals - it's kinda fun to see what you can come up with. Image
-MJ-
Ed Webster

Post by Ed Webster »

With the 6 pedal down, you do it at the second fret EXACTLY like you did it (in D) in Cth. The rest of the song (first part) is at the 3rd fret same as you used to do it in C6.
That pull-off is the only part at the 2nd fret. You also do the next pull off (6 pedal down) at the first fret, but the rest of the song at the 3rd fret.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Very respectfully, I cannot play "Remington Ride" with the 6th pedal down on my U-12. I just got thru trying.

Also I cannot see how you are pulling off at the 2nd fret with the 4th string raised. It is true you have a D at the third fret with the E's lowered, but then you can't pull off and get that sound. And raising the E (4th string) back up to a G or G# (depending upon whether you keep the E's lowered) does not get it for me.

What am I missing here?

carl
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Remington Ride and Raisin The Dickens can be played in the key of E with all of the pulloffs.
DD
Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

Heck, just write a hit instrumental, use open strings in a few places and shut the double neckers out. Image
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

Easy for you to say, you wisenheimer!! Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Forbes on 26 May 2004 at 05:55 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Forbes on 26 May 2004 at 05:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

Chris, flattery will get you everywhere. Image
Ed Webster

Post by Ed Webster »

Carl:

Starting on the 7th stg., 3rd fret, then 6th stg. then 5th stg (all at 3rd fret) gives you the first 3 notes of Remington. Then Pedal 6 (raise 4th, lower 8th) down, go to second fret, do your pull offs and you're there. (after the pull-offs, you're back to the 3rd fret) until you get to the part where it goes to the 4 chord then you work off the 1st fret, same idea (pedal 6 down). Hope this helps. IT WORKS GREAT>
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Hey Buddy!
What was/is your Envelope Filter of choice?
Thx,
Pete B.
Emmons S12U P-P (among other things).