RIP Jerry Brightman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Rudy Hawk

Post by Rudy Hawk »

John
I was told that you and/or Dave Decker probably had a hand in building my steel. I wish I'ed had a chance to meet and talk with Jerry, I always figured since he lived fairly close that we would cross paths at some point.
Performance D10, GFI Ultra S10, Peavey 112 amp, Hilton volumn pedal, Fender Strat, Tele, Fender twin amp.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Obituary today;
"Gerald Warner "Jerry" Brightman

Obituary | Condolences
Gerald Warner "Jerry" Brightman Obituary
Gerald Warner (Jerry) Brightman

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- Gerald Warner (Jerry) Brightman, 61, passed away suddenly at his residence on March, 9, 2015 in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

Calling hours will be March 16 from 6 to 7 p.m., with a memorial service following at 7 p.m. at St. Luke's Lutheran Church, 2121 6th St., Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221 with Pastor Bob Linsz officiating.

In lieu of other remembrances, memorials, if desired, may be made to either St. Luke's Lutheran Church or Graham Rd. Baptist Church, 705 Graham Rd., Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223. To send condolences or sign the guest book visit www.cliffordshoemaker.com

CLIFFORD-SHOEMAKER,

330-928-2147
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ohio/o ... OQsEo.dpuf
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Rick Troyer

Post by Rick Troyer »

Thanks for keeping us posted JB. I too remember you and Jerry coming to the store for the first time. Precious memories for sure.
Rick
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Rick,
Jerry and I had a great time that day with you and your Dad.
JB
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I'm really saddened to hear of Jerry's passing. He sure was a great guy and great player. Tony Booth and I were just talking about him 5 days ago.

My deepest sympathies and prayers go out for Jerry and his family.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Gerald Warner "Jerry" Brightman

1953 - 2015 | Obituary | Condolences
Gerald Warner "Jerry" Brightman Obituary
Gerald "Jerry" Warner Brightman

CUYAHOGA FALLS -Gerald Warner (Jerry) Brightman, 61, passed away suddenly at his residence on March, 9, 2015 in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

He was born September 1, 1953, in Akron, Ohio to Warner E. and Joan F. Brightman Phillips. He graduated in 1971 from Cuyahoga Falls High School and went on to a musical career playing the steel guitar. He formed a group, "The Wheelers" and performed at the Wheeling Jamboree at an early age-then went on to play in Buck Owens' Buckaroos group, traveling the world. He married Kathleen Ruch on June 22, 1985. He enjoyed his train hobby, and especially his wife and family

He was preceded in death by his father, Warner; and his grandparents and several aunts and uncles. He is survived by his loving wife, Kathie; two daughters, Kim (Dave) Rich and Leah (Kenton) Althiser; grandson, Calvin Rich; granddaughter, Rowan Althiser; loving mother, Joan; step-brothers, Mark (Karol) Phillips and Brian (Linda) Phillips; step-sister, Liana (Brent) Yoder; brothers-in-law, Dow (Connie) Ruch and Dave (Kathe) Ruch and their families; and numerous cousins, aunts, and uncles.

He was a member of the former Maranatha Baptist Church in Mogadore, Ohio.

Calling hours will be March 16 from 6 to 7 p.m., with a memorial service following at 7 p.m. at St. Luke's Lutheran Church, 2121 6th St., Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221 with Pastor Bob Linsz officiating.

In lieu of other remembrances, memorials, if desired, may be made to either St. Luke's Lutheran Church or Graham Rd. Baptist Church, 705 Graham Rd., Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223.

To send condolences or sign the guest book visit www.cliffordshoemaker.com

logo
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ohio/o ... jlZar.dpuf
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Nice, understated service. Lloyd and Peter Copper sent letters that were read from the pulpit. Thank both you guys so much! Kathy was very touched by them, Probably about 70 or so people in attendance, which is pretty good for a funeral service.
God rest Jerry's soul!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Jay Dee Maness

Jerry Brightman

Post by Jay Dee Maness »

So sorry to hear of this. We were friends for 43 years.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Jay Dee,
I tried to get in touch with you.
JB
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

And so many heartfelt thanks to Lloyd and Peter. Their letters added so much to Jerry's Service!
JB
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

So sorry to hear of Jerry's passing, he was a great man.

I got to meet him at the PSGA shows in Norwalk Ct. years ago. I loved his playing. At the time he had just come out of retirement.

Just before his recording 'Back Again'was released, he played the whole Cd for me in his truck late that night after the Saturday show.

I listened to that CD just yesterday again, and really enjoyed it. He was such a warm man and made me feel like I had know him for a long time.

I give my condolences to his wife, daughters and family, Rest in Peace Jerry!

Sincerely, Craig Stock
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

I guess I was luckier than a lot of you folks. My path and Jerry's crossed quite a few times, over the years. From his Early skinny days with Jay Bird Drennan, to Ponderosa Park, where Buck Owens called him up to sing, after he (Jerry) had left Buck, and retired from playing. I was at one of Rick Troyer's jams when he began playing, again, and I remember telling him,we had all hoped he would start again. Some great times at those jams! I remember Rick and some of the better players(including Jerry) were doing a hot set, and Rick snuck up behind, and pulled Jerry's jacket up over his head, while he was in the middle of some very hot licks.Of course Jerry didn't miss a note! I'll never forget the camaraderie and fun of those days! I got to play bass behind him at a club on Akron's North hill, for Kenny Bigg's birthday party, and once had the daunting task of playing steel beside him at a Thanksgiving Hitching Post jam, where he noted I was improving since the last time he had seen me! Nothing stand-offish about Jerry! Although he had made the big time, he always still considered himself one of the hometown folks. I always wanted to ask him if he played the Tele both right, and left handed.(I noticed this on some old Hee Haw shows, I was watching.) I guess I'll never know, now! Not gonna be the same, without him! -Jake-
Delbert Phelps

Post by Delbert Phelps »

Really shocked to hear this .Condolences to the family .JERRY was a true friend ,indeed .May you rest in peace my friend .
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Christine and I attended the SWSGA in Mesa 2004 and saw Jerry. He told us that he quit playing steel and raised a family. His daughters had no idea he had played professional music for years until he decided to come out of retirement, when they were almost grown.
Shows modesty on his part. Now, that's a real dad that would focus on family over playing the circuits and being gone. He was a fine player even after starting almost all over again.
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

It'a always very sad when we lose such a young man! Here are two of them, lost before their time - R.I.P. Jerry & Red!!

Another of Jerry doing what he loved to do!

Mike Brown

Jerry Brightman

Post by Mike Brown »

This is such a shock that is never expected. I received a voice mail from Jerry about 3 months ago that I returned the call but never heard from Jerry. He was always very pleasant to talk to.
RIP Jerry.