If I hear one more tune with screaming guitar.......

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Eric Philippsen

If I hear one more tune with screaming guitar.......

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Just a rant from an old guy. It's been said before, of course. And, honestly, I know all the "personal preference", "it's the way country is", "you're obviously an older guy" postings that happen when someone says it.

But, dang, I was listening to a country station and, I swear, every up-tempo tune had a rock intro, a driving distorted rhythm, and the obligatory screaming lead break. And there was no steel on any of them that I could hear.

I think a big reason is that so many producers come from a rock background. So, naturally, that's what they think is the best. And the majority of listeners, well, maybe that's what they want.

As for me, I just turned off the radio and put in some cuts with Buddy Emmons followed by LLoyd.
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

You do realize that you aren't a real guitar player unless you can play
152 notes a second at 125 decibels. I think it's a law or something.
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Jamie Mitchell

Post by Jamie Mitchell »

Larry Carlson wrote:You do realize that you aren't a real guitar player unless you can play
152 notes a second at 125 decibels. I think it's a law or something.
uh...
if anything, radio country lead guitar has gotten less notey in the last 10 years...
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Ahhh... so goes the world. Moving on without us Brother.
Sometimes I feel like I'm an alien from outer space or maybe a dinosaur.
I don't care tho, I feel lucky that I can play steel guitar and appreciate it for the beautiful creature it is.
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

As for me, I just turned off the radio and put in some cuts with Buddy Emmons followed by LLoyd.
Probably your best bet at this point Eric.
If I want screaming guitar, I put on some old Jimi Hendirx tunes. Really doesn't get much better than that for screaming guitar.
Take care!
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I'll see your Jimi and raise you an Albert Collins. He made a Tele scream.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

The occassional time I hear new country...I tend to listen to the bass lines... that is where the genre shines IMO... great feels...
Frank Welsh

Post by Frank Welsh »

Just an observation that dovetails with your comments...I go to YouTube or a guitar manufacturer's website to see and hear the demo on some nice guitar that is known for it's unique sound like a Gretsch or maybe a hollowbody jazz guitar and either most of the demo or the entire demo is done with full blast screaming distortion.

From some of these "demos" I and many other observers never get a hint of what many of these often expensive guitars actually sound like. The "artists" who make the demos then actually rave about the "tone" of the guitar(s) but the listeners have no idea of the tone from watching the demo.

The infection has spread to country music. I can't even get some of the younger guys in my area to even try playing anything without distortion on their six-stringers.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

You know, I "get" the distorted tone. I understand it and, surprisingly to some readers, LIKE it in the hands of great players. Heck, I play 6-string and make money doing so. Heard Beck, Clapton and Page when they were all in the Yardbirds.

It's just so tiresome to hear it all non-stop in virtually everything on the country airwaves. Exceptions? Of course. But Like Frank said, the infection has spread. Only it's now gotten to be a chronic case of ear fatigue coupled with aural boredom.

152 notes per second at 150 db? Yep, we've all heard it. Boring. I call it fingerboard diarrhea.

How to get a guitar player to turn down? Take away his dirt stomp box.
Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 15 Mar 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

I have arrived in the future and the music sucks! I do like the TVs though...
Last edited by Tim Whitlock on 17 Mar 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I played a gig last week where five local country bands each played 3 songs. Every single one of the lead guitar players used distortion from beginning to end. Not once did I hear a clean guitar tone. And they all played as many notes as possible during their solos. No chicken picking or Merle Travis styles. Just pure rock licks played at 90 mph.

BORING!!!

PS: My clean PSG and banjo sure got a lot of attention and favorable comments.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Steven Finley

Post by Steven Finley »

Well, Paul,

It seems that the economy has partially solved our problem; the drummer in a band was the first to go.
My first question now when being offered a job is if there is an electric guitar player. If so, then I know
I will have to walk through the bowels of hell to get paid. What is termed country music today is a
complete misnomer. I now choose to play only with acoustic guitar players. Even if they plug in, they seem to stay civilized.
To ease the pain of what is on the radio, I turn it off and go immerse myself in Tony Rice.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Paul said:
Just pure rock licks played at 90 mph.
So... They were playing ballads all night long? :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Steve Allison

Post by Steve Allison »

I don't give a rats butt what they do, just don't insult MY intelligence and call it country music!!
Brian Brgant

Post by Brian Brgant »

I
Last edited by Brian Brgant on 16 Mar 2015 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don Chance

Post by Don Chance »

Even all these years later, everyone wants to be Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band or the Eagles.

I have nothing against those bands; especially Marshall Tucker. But country - the music of ordinary working Americans - arose as the soundtrack of the common man, and it was never supposed to be "cool." Even though there's plenty of spry and uplifting songs in the country catalog, genuine American-style country music is usually about cheatin' and drinkin' and hurtin' for a reason: Those are often the experiences of real people living real lives, and through the music they find reassurance that others share similar life problems and heartaches.

After covering country music for the Scripps Network for more than 18 years, and watching the relentless marginalization of everything that made traditional American country music great, it was a pleasure to leave the new "country" noise to the new commentators who, usually, have little to no idea what real country music even is.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." Pablo Picasso
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

The reason why they use distortion on their guitars is because it takes three times the talent to play clean than to play distorted. Marty Stuart or Steve Warner could play them all under the table with one hand. That music is Rock music. Period. It's not country.
Mike Archer

yeap

Post by Mike Archer »

well im a guitar player too and I hate new country

stuff its loud distorted and toneless

but hey they make good money......yee haww

if you want to hear some great country guitar

playing listen to Jimmy Capps he is a great player

with awesome tone and taste
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

Had a young musician say, "I heard you work in a band. What type of music do you guys play?" I said, Classic Country most of the time. He said, " oh yah,,, the old stuff like Garth?" :)
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It's sad Duane. Classic country now means the 80's and 90's. That sucks.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ronnie Boettcher

If I hear one more screaming guitar

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

All I play, and what I want to play is the good CLASSIC COUNTRY. I don't try to add fancy licks, or odd ball chords. Keep it simple, and all the listeners can relate to it. I also play bluegrass, and the same goes there. Just good bluegrass, none of the modern melodic, or off the wall bluegrass. Thats all I want to listen to, too. Good down to earth country, and bluegrass.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Steve Allison wrote:I don't give a rats butt what they do, just don't insult MY intelligence and call it country music!!
Amen
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I don't listen to the genre in question at all, but I love great guitar playing. Even jazz guitar today is heavily influenced by Rock guitar. Sorry, but I'm right there with it. Don't listen to my stuff! :lol:
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

A good lead player, should be good rhythm player first and know how to anticipate chord changes. I've heard many lead players, young and old, noodle around aimlessly in a jam situation.
This certainly wasn't the case with Jimi Hendrix, he learned his craft backing up soul singers, where he learnd the basics. Before the "wild stuff".
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »