RIP Jerry Brightman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Gonna miss him...we used to have long phone sessions talking recording, steel guitar and people...all my best to his family...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Rick,
I'll never forget the day Jerry and I drive to your shop! A great day with us and your Dad!
JB
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Really sad to hear about this. I haven't heard much from him lately. I know he was so pumped about getting the Pedal Steel out in front, and felt like getting it into more types of music was going to get it there.

I remember talking to Jerry Roller after his surgery and he told me about Jerry's visit. He couldn't believe that he came to see him out of the blue. Jerry Brightman's little gift, and Jerry Roller's tribute to Jerry is an example of two class acts!

Jerry and I are the same age, and when I met him in September of 1974, I was in awe that he was playing with Buck. I went to see them at the Diamond Ballroom in Oklahoma City, and saw them backstage. That same week, the Oklahoma Music Association was having their convention here. One night after the regular events were over, an impromptu jam began with some of Statesiders and a couple of other pickers. I noticed Jerry there, but not playing. He didn't have his guitar, so I got my Pro II out of my car and let him play it. Fast forward to when he got back into playing I contacted him and we visited about that time. I enjoyed visiting with him at the Dallas show that year.

Sad to see another Buckaroo leaving us -
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

This is indeed sad news....Jerry came to Phoenix to play either our first or second SWSGA show with Jay Dee Maness. We became friends, and he used to call and talk for long conversations. He was a good guy, and he will be missed.

Billy Easton
Billy & Meriul Easton
Nashville, TN
Bill Bailey

Jerry RIP

Post by Bill Bailey »

:( Billy, I remember that set with JD and Jerry, what a hoot it was to hear them tearing up the songs they recorded or played with Buck. I had Del Mullen build me a Red White and Blue D-10 after I saw Jerry playing for Buck in Denver Colorado at the Denver Coliseum around 1975. I will be praying for Jerry and his family and friends for God's comfort.
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

So Sorry to hear this, Jerry was a great guy, and Player... Prayers for his Family...
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

Oh no... what a shocker! I met Jerry in the late 70's at the Wheeling Jamboree where he worked at the time. I was 15 and he was like a "star" to me. We remained friends ever since and like John Macy said... would talk on the phone until we both ran out of things to say. He was always so full of life and this very sad. Sincere condolences to his family... Rest in peace my dear friend.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Here is a nice interview with Jerry, posted on the NTSGA site. The interviewer, and the interviewee are both gone now. RIP, Jan, and Jerry.

http://www.ntsga.com/id83.html
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

Rest in peace, Jerry. He was a walking wealth of experience in the music business and steel guitars. I will miss our friendship.
David Thornhill

Jb

Post by David Thornhill »

I've known Jerry 40+ years. I talked to him a few times in the last year. A dear friend that will be missed.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

What a shock this is! He was such a nice guy and super player.

My condolences to his family.

RIP, Jerry

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Bill Bailey

Jerry Brightman

Post by Bill Bailey »

:) Thanks for posting that interview Darvin. It was very informative.
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
b0b

Post by b0b »

So sorry to read this. Jerry was a real friendly guy and a great player. My condolences to his family.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Okay. A story about Jerry and me. I was in Forumite Don Dixon's store one day. Jerry had just quit the road, and Don introduced us. I thought,"Nice guy." A couple years later, my band listened to the keyboard player and put as much as possible on the computer. They let me and the drummer go. Only problem was that they became very unpopular. They tried to hire me back, but I was tired of playing 6 nights a week for very little pay. I retired. The singer called me one day to say they had hired Jerry "somebody." I said "Brightman?" Answer was yes. I told them they done incredibly well!
Not long after, the singer called me to tell me that Jerry was looking for someone to work at Performance Guitars. Perfect for a retired player, and I jumped at it. Thus became my friendship with Jerry. The guitars are wonderful, and will be sought after in the future. Jerry appreciated my totally anal approach to detail!
Jerry knew I was a complete fan of Lloyd Greens, and he and Lloyd were friends. One day Jerry called me into the office saying I had a phone call. I hadn't given anyone the number, so I was somewhat confused. Jerry had called Lloyd and set me up! I talked to Lloyd for an hour! That's the kind of sweet, thoughtful guy Jerry was. I am very sad.
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Jerry Tillman

Sad news

Post by Jerry Tillman »

I too have similar stories and will treasure them.I also have an SD10 Performance steel that I had Jerry sign before he shipped it to me.I love that steel.I still remember Jerry asking me,why do you want me to sign the steel.I then tried to explain to him who he was.He also told me a story about Buck Owens funeral and a conversation he had with Dwight Yokam.I wish I had stayed in touch more.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

The year Jerry played my show we did a Buckaroos thing on Sunday. What a thrill to play and sing a bunch of those Buck tunes with him. Jerry was a super nice guy and every once in awhile the phone would ring and out of the blue there would be Jerry on the other end just saying hello. I will miss him.
gary wyatt

Post by gary wyatt »

I did not had pleasure of playing with Jerry.,.. always heard his name around town and I am sure I have jammed with him a time or two.. Rip Jerry Brightman.
Randy Sevearance

so sad

Post by Randy Sevearance »

I bought one of his first guitars and its is great , sad to hear this
Jerry was a fantastic player and friend, this breaks my heart so sorry to hear it, God be with his family :cry:
Emmons D-10, Performance D-10, 2 Nashville 1000s, Nashville 400 W/fox Mod. Peavey VK112, Ibanez delay & Jordan Boss Tone,Hilton V/Pedal, Steeler Choice Seat Loaded,Micheal Kelly Dobro, 84 OMI Dobro, Quilter Steelaire combo,Redeemer,Holy fire pedal.
Whip Lashaway

Post by Whip Lashaway »

So sad. I met Jerry many years ago in Toledo. He actually saught me out to introduce himself to me. I have no idea why. He always considered and treated me as a peer.Of course I was not and am not. I will miss him very much. God Bless his family.
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
Excel S12 8x9 blue
Excel S12 8x9 black
Terry Watts

Post by Terry Watts »

I have known Jerry for years as we were both local pickers in the Akron area. There is no denying that Jerry always was a monster picker with tremendous talent and an all around good guy. I am so sorry to hear of his passing and wish to send my deepest sympathies to his family and friends. RIP my friend and you will be forever missed. Heavens band has another angel to play steel.
Charlie McVay

Jerry Brightman

Post by Charlie McVay »

When I started playing as a teenager I listened to Jerry on the WWVA Wheeling Jamboree 1170 AM live radio show every Saturday night and taped the shows on my cassette player to try and learn how to play. I was obsessed with his playing so my dad took me down to meet him when I was 17 and then soon after that he started playing with Buck Owens and I got to watch him on TV. Gob bless him and his family and friends...
David Decker

Jerry Brightman

Post by David Decker »

So sorry to hear about Jerry. I, like Terry Watts, have known Jerry since teenage years. Having grown up in Canton,Ohio, just south of Akron. Worked with Jerry on the Performance Steels for about 2 1/2 years. Jerry and I made many trips to promote the guitars. Trips to St. Louis, Nashville,Mesa Az. etc. Got close to Jerry and his wife Kathy during this time. When Jerry started Performance Guitars he ordered parts for 10 guitars and had a Steel building party. That's when I met Danny Hullihen and Ray Walker. The four of us worked together for a week working on those guitars. I enjoyed making friends with Danny and Ray. Now Ray and Jerry are both gone. Loved both of them. Last talked to Jerry about a year ago when my wife Lenora passed away. I will miss Jerry very much. Kathy and girls you have my deepest sympathy.
Rudy Hawk

Post by Rudy Hawk »

Just heard this sad news today. My very first steel guitar is a "Performance" I purchased from Jerry via Rick Troyer's Hummingbird Music Studio, and it still sounds great. My prayers go out to his family. RIP Jerry.
Performance D10, GFI Ultra S10, Peavey 112 amp, Hilton volumn pedal, Fender Strat, Tele, Fender twin amp.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Rudy,
I'd bet I built that one! Stunning engineering on Performance guitars. I think they will be highly valued in the future. Jerry's designs were pure genius.
JB
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I got to meet and hang out with Jerry at the St. Louis Steel Convention one year. If my memory serves me right it was his birthday. He was a great guy and a wonderful innovative musician. May he RIP.