Different types of bars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason Bergeron

Different types of bars

Post by Jason Bergeron »

I have four different types of bars, but I'm curious about three of them and would like to find out more if possible.

One is black and slim. At the end, it has Nick Manoloff PAT. 2073331 Could it be a bar for students?

Another appears to be stainless steel, has a more rounded tip and is light.

The third has a tip that is not as rounded and is hollow inside. It has a plastic cap that fits on the end. I thought it could be a finger slide bar but if it is, it must be for someone with really small fingers because it won't even fit on my pinky.

Sho~Bud Super Pro, Peavey Nashville 400
©Jason Bergeron
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The black bar goes back to the 1930's. Nick Manoloff was the premiere teacher back then. (I still have a couple of his books.) The bakelite bars made a softer sound, with less sustain.

The hollow bar with the plug could be an old Ernie Ball. They made a lot of lighter (drilled out and plugged) bars.

The stainless bar (or, it could be chromed steel) might have been made by just about anyone. Over the years, there have been hundreds of different bars made from dozens of different materials. It's hard to pin down the maker, sometimes, unless they're marked. 8)
Jason Bergeron

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Donny Hinson wrote:The black bar goes back to the 1930's. Nick Manoloff was the premiere teacher back then. (I still have a couple of his books.) The bakelite bars made a softer sound, with less sustain.

The hollow bar with the plug could be an old Ernie Ball. They made a lot of lighter (drilled out and plugged) bars.

The stainless bar (or, it could be chromed steel) might have been made by just about anyone. Over the years, there have been hundreds of different bars made from dozens of different materials. It's hard to pin down the maker, sometimes, unless they're marked. 8)
Thanks! Any idea why the black bar is so slinder or what it's made of? Or is bakelite a type of material? Do you know what the purpose of making the other bar hollow could be?
©Jason Bergeron
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I had a little bar with Nick Manoloff's name in it-It wasn't my main bar, though, but it was awesome!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Bars were hollowed out to make a larger diameter bar lighter.
BJS makes a bar called the "John Hughey" model. It is a 15/16" bar that is drilled out to weight approx. the same as a 7/8" bar.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Jason, bakelite was/is the first plastic-like material. It is easily molded, and your parents and grandparents grew up with the stuff everywhere. Phone shells, record player tonearms, and a lot of other stuff were made of it.
Kinda heavy, and quite brittle. I think some stuff is still made of it.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jason Bergeron

Neat info!

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Cool info.! Thanks guys!
©Jason Bergeron
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jason, the "big bar" craze didn't really come about until the late '50s. Before that, most bars that were used were short and only 1/2" or 9/16" in diameter. In fact, many of the earliest bars were just a flat piece of steel with a rounded edge, like this one...

Jason Bergeron

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Donny Hinson wrote:Jason, the "big bar" craze didn't really come about until the late '50s. Before that, most bars that were used were short and only 1/2" or 9/16" in diameter. In fact, many of the earliest bars were just a flat piece of steel with a rounded edge, like this one...

That's cool!
©Jason Bergeron