Newman Instructional Videos

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Baker

Newman Instructional Videos

Post by Wayne Baker »

I bought two C6th video courses from Jeff Newman. I have watched about 1 & 1/3 of them and I am hooked on C6th. He makes it alot easier than sittin' around in my bedroom for 25 yrs trying to figure it all out for myself. I played C6th out on a gig lastnight for the first time and the other pickers really dug it.

Wayne Baker
Ward Wilsey

Post by Ward Wilsey »

Just curious as to which ones you got. I have Jeff's Up From the Top A&B pedal one and loved it, so I'm interested in his c6 stuff. Ward
Val Gethers

Post by Val Gethers »

Ward: Jeff had a package deal going last month for C6th. "C6th Workshop, parts 1&2", and "C6th and Swinging, parts 1&2". Comes with tab and instruction books, and backup band CD. Just give him a call or E-mail. He usually answers the phone himself, and is a real pleasure to talk to. PH#1-800-373-3418.
Val Gethers

Post by Val Gethers »

Sorry Ward, I cut myself off to early. I ordered the package a couple months ago, and learned more in 1 hour then I've learned in the last six months. No more groping in the dark. And I'm actually making something that sounds a little like music on that neck. Hope that helps.
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

Does Jeff use 1st string D or G in his videos?

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E
Ward Wilsey

Post by Ward Wilsey »

I'm kinda looking to start of on the cheap, so is the workshop the one to get for beginners for C6?
Val Gethers

Post by Val Gethers »

Michael: 1st string "D" Ward: " C6th workshop "starts from the beginning. "C6th and Swinging" is more advanced. When I say that from the beginning, Jeff teaches the course as a follow up to E9th. So you should know how to find all major chords. Know how to use pockets. Know when to play 7th's. etc.,etc.
Val Gethers

Post by Val Gethers »

One more thing!! If you want the courses on DVD you have to tell him. Otherwise I think he sends them VHS. DVD was no extra charge though.
Jonathan Gregg

Post by Jonathan Gregg »

Amen to all of the above. I've been a fan of Newman's teaching techniques since the first Up from the Top, and having recently acquired a D10 I ordered the package being discussed here.
In a word, it's great, an amazing timesaver and a great jump start for some real playing. You learn tunes right away and don't have to spend hours figuring stuff out on your own.
I might even say that it's better than his E9 methods, and that is high praise. You can't go wrong.
BTW, some of Herby Wallace's sheet music for C6 is pretty hip too. Start with the 4-pack with "Crazy" and see what you think.
Jon Kemppainen

Post by Jon Kemppainen »

Hey Jonathan, is the name of your band the lonesome debonaires?
Ronald Moore

Post by Ronald Moore »

If any of you want to learn C6th, Jeffran Music has three videos, starting from the beginning and getting very advanced. Don't just buy one, get all three and go to work, you won't be sorry. Buying only one will just make you hungry for more. I know. Been there, will be doing that for a long time to come. Ron
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Don't forget that guy named Emmons too; his "Swinging" Cds and tab have tons of good C6 songs very precisely tabbed out. Used in conjunction with the "pockets" & other ideas discussed on the Newman DVDs will start to take you down that long C6th road. Enjoy the journey. steve