Donny Herron, Heard of him?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lane Gray

Donny Herron, Heard of him?

Post by Lane Gray »

Just got that new CD from Bob Dylan, Shadows in the Night.
Bob takes on a handful of standards, with pedal steel all over it.
I've never heard of Donny Herron, but he's pretty good. Doesn't play what you'd expect Reece, Emmons or Chalker to play over this light jazz, but it's pretty darn tasty.
Seemed reminiscent of early Greg Leisz.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I think he played lap/console steel for BR549 when the first evolved.... Another multi-instrumentalist doubling on fiddle & guitar as well.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Donnie was the original steel player in BR5-49. I met him in 1995, a very nice young man and quite a good player both on fiddle and steel.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Played a couple of gigs in Scotland , when our band supported BR549, Don was Steel and fiddle player with them, really nice guy and excellent player, he used my 400 when his twin reverb blew up.The guys in band called him the " Professor " .
Last edited by Malcolm McMaster on 17 Feb 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I saw Donny playing with Dylan in Berkeley a couple years ago - a fine, multi-talented musician.

Whatever one thinks of Dylan as the front man, there are no slackers or slouches in his band. Those cats are tight.

And any time you can see Charlie Sexton on lead guitar it's worth the price of admission.
Mark
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Don played a 1950s Fender nonpedal steel with BR5-49. When BR5-49 played the Opry in 2001, Don played a quad-neck Fender nonpedal steel on BR5-49's cover of the Carl Smith song "Go, Boy, Go, then he played a Zumsteel D-10 pedal steel on BR5-49's version of Anne Murray's song "A Little Good News". When my friend Katie Cook interviewed them after their set, lead singer and guitarist Chuck Mead said that Don Helms and his steel were downstairs, and Don Herron said, "I touched Don's steel." Don Herron plays great nonpedal and pedal steel
Steven Meyrich

Post by Steven Meyrich »

Earlier thread I started about Donnie:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=278240
Don Chance

Post by Don Chance »

Don has been one of my best friends, and a musical hero of mine, since 1982.

He just played fiddle, bluegrass mandolin and some lead guitar when we first worked together, and I showed him his first pedal pulls - how they change the chords - and that's all he needed. You don't "teach" someone that talented, you just show them what you do and they take off from there. I also showed him the little I knew about playing clawhammer banjo when I first learned, and he has become one of the best frailers there is anywhere.

He's a perfect fit with Bob and the guys, and I wish him continued success as one of the best and most versatile professional musicians in the business!

Don and me playing in a fiddle contest in Payson, AZ, back in the mid-1980s. Almost everyone who spoke with him afterwards thought he surely must have won; but he "lost" to the local fiddle hero who'd (coincidentally?) won the previous four years.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." Pablo Picasso
Patrick Strain

Post by Patrick Strain »

I love Don's playing. Being a big BR549 fan, he was the first steel player I really paid attention to.
Sierra Crown D-10 8+4, Sierra S-10 3+4, Carter D-10 8+7, Carter Starter 3+ a lot of engineering problems
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

By the way, when I said "early Greg Leisz", I had misspoke.
It shared an ethereality with Kim Deschamps' stuff with the Cowboy Junkies, which I unaccountably thought was Greg. I blame Old Fart Memory.
Either way, it's a COOL record. And Donny's playing really makes it.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects