Music stores with steel amps & acc. in Austin?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pat Dalberg

Music stores with steel amps & acc. in Austin?

Post by Pat Dalberg »

Howdy folks,

while I am waiting for my Zum to come in (Big 'ol thanks there Danny!) I need to get the rest of the accessories and of course an amp to go with it. I moved out here to the Devil's Backbone in january from Houston, and have no idea where to go in or around Austin for stuff like a steel bar, volume pedal, tuner and a peavey nashville. Anyone got some clues for the greenhorn here? The Zum should be here monday (the only way to get me to look forward to a monday), and I want to be able to start playing with it then.

(Hey Herb, if you are reading this - thanks and thanks again for your advice and encouragement. Didja get those emails I sent you?)
Graham Lathrop

Post by Graham Lathrop »

Pat,
When I was looking for steels in Austin I had an impossible time finding anyone that a)knew anything about them or b) had one. I checked all the stores on S. Congress and called many more around the city. If you need anything right away I would order it off the net or see if you can find a steel player around town and ask him. Not much help from me but possibly some direction...
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

South Austin music bought out a steel guitar store a while back, so he has some stuff.
I got a new GFI seat for a good price. There was a Peavey Nashville there, but don't remember which one - I prefer tube, so I didn't look at it. He may still have it and they said they had other stuff in the back. They have some steel bars, mostly non-pedal.
He had 3-4 steel on the floor, also. This was a month or so ago, so call'm.

Heart of Texas has a couple of steels too, they looked like they needed work pretty bad though. You might see what they have. Both places are on South Lamar, about a mile from each other, just south of the river some.

Oh, and the place around the corner from Heart of Texas has an old double neck Fender non-pedal. They get a lot of amps too, I'd check them out.