Asher Guitars

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Mark Roeder wrote:jack, did you mean to type Mark Roeder. Hmmmm I do like the name Bart though.....
Yep. Senior moment, there. Mark is a great guy, btw.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Hello Stefan,

Well, I have read your two posts that were directed at my lack of knowledge and taste
regarding my choices in music rather carefully and I have come to a conclusion.

You are my ex-wife. You have to be. No one else until now has outwardly displayed the same
attitude towards me, my preferences or opinions. You (She) are (is) always right.
No room for other's opinions sort of thing. So.......you must be her. It's the only explanation.
I am rather surprised they released you from inpatient status so quickly but I guess that is
out of my control. They never contacted me anyway.

So......... Mrs. ex-wifey-poo, I have four things to say to you.

1. Say hi to your new husband for me when he finally gets out of jail.
2. I sold everything that was in storage and bought a new truck.
3. Your goldfish died and it tasted like chicken.

And finally #4. I am playing my 4 string cigar box guitar as a lap steel as I speak and am enjoying it immensely.

Have a nice day.
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Bill Asher

Post by Bill Asher »

Oh my this is hilarious. :lol: Well said Larry

Larry, you are going to really enjoy your new 6-string lap steel and I look forward to hearing from you once you have some time to play it. Where Staphan is just stuck in his world and will never know. The beauty of a six string in the hands of say David Lindley, Jerry Douglas, Junior Brown, David Gilmour, Cindy Cashdollar, Jerry Bird…too many to mention. There are over 800 people out there enjoying my 6-String lap steels and the value is in everyone at all the different price levels we build them at. His kind of narrow minded opinion is ridiculous.
I love designing and building lap steels and plan on it for the rest of my life.
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Hello Bill,

The guitar arrived yesterday, in perfect condition I might add.
It is beautiful and I can't begin to tell you how much I like it.
I always have a bit of trepidation about ordering anything online
but you do one heck of a job and I am very happy with this guitar.
It looks great, it sounds even better.......I played it until 10:30 last
night and I usually go to bed around 8:30. (I am old......but still good looking)

Thanks for the help on the phone, thank Jessica for her help and input and if you
will excuse me the guitar is sitting right behind me and I can't resist it any longer.

If you read this I am sending you a pm to explain something that I see no reason to take up space in here with.

Thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have stuff.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Barbara Berg

Post by Barbara Berg »

You guys are a hoot!! You both practiced the art of conducting points well taken with tack and skill. May I add, "to the body of people having mutual interest, having no dimensions, the conclusion was impeccable!" :lol:
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

larry, bravo. good response to your ex-wife stefan, who is probably still trying to restring all of his 12 strings and searching for his chord almanac while you are playing and enjoying that wonderful asher!

i can really relate to you now, as i am also old and incredibly good looking.
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

chris ivey wrote: i can really relate to you now, as i am also old and incredibly good looking.
We are a small and elite group but our esthetic values are priceless. :mrgreen:
I have stuff.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

That ex wife statement was quite hilarious so rather than slinging one back I will let you have that one as it was a tactful insult that must've taken some time to craft.

Chris Ivey. I don't even know you but you seem to have a problem with me for stating facts.

6 string lap steel = not all chords available it's not a personal attack on you or other 6 string players. As most players including myself started off on a sixer.

12 strings = all chords.

So chill out.
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Stefan Robertson

Oh btw while I am searching for my chord almanac

the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

- Steve jobs
Stefan

Stefan Robertson

Bill Asher wrote:Oh my this is hilarious. :lol: Well said Larry

Larry, you are going to really enjoy your new 6-string lap steel and I look forward to hearing from you once you have some time to play it. Where Staphan is just stuck in his world and will never know. The beauty of a six string in the hands of say David Lindley, Jerry Douglas, Junior Brown, David Gilmour, Cindy Cashdollar, Jerry Bird…too many to mention. There are over 800 people out there enjoying my 6-String lap steels and the value is in everyone at all the different price levels we build them at. His kind of narrow minded opinion is ridiculous.
I love designing and building lap steels and plan on it for the rest of my life.
Agh... Bill I have been a fan of the Ben harper builds you did. Great, however enjoying is subjective. Lack of is Factual and in there lies the difference. I played on a six string For years but it still doesn't change its limitations that can't be denied.

So that being said, the final note which I never thought I'd have to address with a forward thinker such as yourself, seeing how much you revolutionised with Ben harpers design, is that the "narrow minded ones" not bringing something new to the table is NOT me.

Only time will tell. I may never live to see it but maybe these posts will and either you can be a part of the revolution or be another name that gets forgotten once our time is up.
Stefan

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Good lord! It all depends what one is trying to accomplish.

I like to think my Bruce Bouton analogy hit it on the head but maybe not. I will repeat it. Bruce is one of the best in the business on pedal steel, but when he goes to a lap steel for certain songs on tour with Garth Brooks he prefers a six string. He's obviously "sacrificing" a lot of chordal possibilities on a six string steel in an open chord tuning.

But he's playing in a band. He doesn't need to have 'em all.

I've seen those videos of the late Reece Anderson playing a 12 string SuperSlide with maybe just a rhythm guitarist or a bass player as a sideman. Wonderful stuff. It's just not needed for all the scenarios a steel guitarist encounters.

David Lindley playing solo on a weissenborn while singing a song, tuned to D - it would be a great challenge even to him to keep it all straight on an 8-string version.

And as far as being a solo lap/non-pedal steel player - I wouldn't quit my day job trying to make a living at that one. Good for playing in the living room or study/music room in the evening, but not much in the way of gigs out there, particularly since the average venue owner wouldn't have the slightest idea about the thing.
Mark
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

If I had known that my purchase of one of Mr. Asher's fine instruments would cause so much fuss I believe I would have taken up the clarinet.
I am, however, a bit surprised at so much angst between musicians playing what is basically the same instrument.
I wouldn't dare consider criticizing anyone's choice of what they want to play in either the choice of instrument or style of music.
I may not like your instrument or your type of music but I certainly wouldn't publicly voice that opinion.
Music is a personal expression and it should be allowed to flourish in every way it can.
I assumed we were all a part of the same fraternity. It's all music and it should all be fun and enjoyed.
Evidently I assumed wrong.
I have stuff.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

Larry, most of us are one big happy "Lap Steel" family. Enjoy your Asher....play on.
Stefan Robertson

Your musical choice is entirely up to you.

I realise people on here don't fully understand what has been written or they don't read and just jump on the bandwagon.

Your instrument choice, just like everyone else on here has done can be criticised not because we don't like you or the manufacturer. But simply in the interest of making you aware you could get more functionality out of that level budget. The finished quality of the Asher lap steels are great but the price point is not.

You could get double/triple neck lap steels , 8/10/12 neck

So please understand I would and have NEVER criticised someone's musical choice as it's entirely subjective. But only wanted to make you aware of alternative investments at that price point as a fellow steel player.
Stefan

Stefan Robertson

Asher electro Hawaiian
PRICE IN US DOLLARS:
$2400 - "A Standard" top striped koa, Ivoroid binding, satin oil finish
$2950 - "A Superior" top flame koa, Ivoroid & herringbone binding, gloss lacquer finish

Electro Hawaiian junior
$799

Ben harper model
$3400

Alan akaka model
$3180

Even the cheapest 6string for $799 seems a bit expensive so sue me if I try and give a fellow player advice on getting either a cheaper model 6 or an 8/10/12 stringer brand new or secondhand
Stefan

Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Stefan,

There is a time and place for everything. The original poster started the thread to share his excitement about getting a new steel guitar that was *his* dream guitar. He wasn't asking for recommendations on number of strings, manufacturer, or best bang for the buck. Your comments, however well meaning, were uncalled for in this situation and the content and tone rubbed a lot of us the wrong way.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

What Bill said. Stefan, you have many excellent ideas and I encourage you in your explorations but, in your genuine, sincere excitement to share your opinion you seem a little tone deaf to "vibe in the room." I see no point in knocking the price points of a master luthier like Bill Asher. People like Bill (and many other luthiers I could name) deserve every penny of what they charge for those instruments.

They've spent years supplementing their income with repairs so they could also explore new avenues of building. The instruments they offer today are the sum of years of experimentation, triumph and heartbreak, creating dead-ends the public never sees, continually honing their craftsmanship, taste, and sensitivity while having to respond and adapt to the wishes and opinions of musicians who use their instruments in the real world.

The Asher Jr. was created out of Bill's sincere desire to offer musicians a high quality instrument at a more affordable price. Of course you can upgrade a cheaper instrument if that's your desire but that doesn't make a sow's ear a silk purse. It's hard to find a more subjective product than a guitar and no luthier is becoming a tycoon selling them. It's a business but moreover, it's a labor of love.

High quality products will always have value. Look at automobiles: I could buy a Kia for a lot less than a Mercedes, BMW, Jag, etc. but that doesn't mean it equates in quality.

And lastly, regarding the number of strings and available chords, Jerry Byrd said it best (paraphrasing): "It doesn't matter what guitar you have or the number of strings it has. It's what you do with what you've got."
Last edited by Andy Volk on 11 Feb 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

Well said Bill & Andy...well said.
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Stefan Robertson wrote:Asher electro Hawaiian
PRICE IN US DOLLARS:

Alan akaka model
$3180

Even the cheapest 6string for $799 seems a bit expensive so sue me if I try and give a fellow player advice on getting either a cheaper model 6 or an 8/10/12 stringer brand new or secondhand
This price includes a Mark Roeder stand and a beautiful Tolex Fender-style case. Mark made a special all aluminum stand specifically for this steel. I also have an Electro Hawaiian six, btw.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

Common Law of Business Balance

There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little
worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are
that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to
pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that is
all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the
thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -
it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add
something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to
pay for something better.

John Ruskin (1819-1900)
Fraser Moffatt

Post by Fraser Moffatt »

Bill Asher wrote: There are over 800 people out there enjoying my 6-String lap steels and the value is in everyone at all the different price levels we build them at.
Bill consider me one of the lucky 800! I picked up an EH Jr from a Montreal area retailer late last year and I think that it's absolutely fantastic for the pricepoint. It's a six stringer and it does what a six stringer is supposed to do, right? The guys in my band love it.

Now, any chance of a run of vintage style silk screened t-shirts with the Electo-Hawaiian logo?
Rookie-ish steel player - currently tinkering around on a BMI S10 and a Guyatone S8. Bassist and vocalist for The Derringers.