Buddy Cage/NRPS fans -- good video on YouTube

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete Conklin

Buddy Cage/NRPS fans -- good video on YouTube

Post by Pete Conklin »

It was Buddy Cage's sound that hooked me...

If you haven't seen this already, here's a good video of the band and Buddy's technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZWw87UgrwI
Charlie Thompson

Buddy Cage

Post by Charlie Thompson »

Buddy Cage and the band walked into the a club where I was playing my first public pedal steel appearance in 1973. Boy was I embarrassed. I talked to him on the break and he was super nice and supportive.
Dan Burnham

That was Great

Post by Dan Burnham »

Man,
where have I been, thanks for posting the video link. Absolutely loved it,

Dano
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
James Leaman

Post by James Leaman »

For any newer players that have trouble grasping Palm blocking, this is about
as good a shot as you'll ever see, done by a master!
John Cadeau

Buddy Cage/NRPS fans

Post by John Cadeau »

Nice stuff. Buddy and I when we were teenagers used set up our steels in my mom and dad's living room and played for hours. Really ticked off my brothers and sisters. We didn't care though, we were having fun.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

James Leaman wrote:For any newer players that have trouble grasping Palm blocking, this is about
as good a shot as you'll ever see, done by a master!

I can comment on this because its exactly what I do.. Buddy has always had a lot of up and down movement in his hand when he plays.. He palm blocks very well of course, and it is actually what defines his particular sound..
However, that exaggerated up and down movement of the hand that Buddy has[ me as well!] is probably something a modern steel player should try to avoid.. David Hartley is a palm blocker, but there isn't a millimeter of wasted motion in his hand or fingers.. Wish I could do it, but I learned listening to Buddy, and my palm blocking became similar to his.. No flames please, Buddy is now and always has been a hero to me, and its the NRPS album "Home Home on the Road" that started the intense burning to learn pedal steel.. As soon as I got my Maverick, I bought every single NRPS album, ad started copying Buddy, 10 hours a day every day..
However, after decades of seeing other great players, I feel that palm blocking should be performed with a lot less movement.. It seems to make the playing too percussive sounding, almost choppy.. Still, as I wrote earlier.. that long picking stroke is Buddy's playing trademark and defines his sound.... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Bob, got your tickets for August 8th yet? Or are you just having them play over at your place?
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Don R Brown wrote:Bob, got your tickets for August 8th yet? Or are you just having them play over at your place?
lol..
Actually, its all of about 3 miles away, and they have played there every single year for years, and I have never been there to see them.. For whatever reason, its never advertised much locally, and I always miss it! Should have gone to the NRPS website I guess.. To be honest Don, I have extremely bad tinnitus, and must avoid loud music, so a New Riders concert is probably not a good idea at this point... Oh well, their music is all over YT, and I still listen to it... a lot... bob

Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Bob, if they play at the same volume as was common "back then", 3 miles away should be just about right for hearing them without leaving your front porch!
Arty Passes

Post by Arty Passes »

Great find, Pete - Thanks for sharing!
Pete Conklin

Post by Pete Conklin »

Glad ya'll enjoyed it, :)
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Buddy inspired me to pick up the PSG.
I get the feeling though he doesn't like to play those licks anymore. Damn shame, I love the stuff.
Anyone else observe that?
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Jim Pitman wrote:Buddy inspired me to pick up the PSG.
I get the feeling though he doesn't like to play those licks anymore. Damn shame, I love the stuff.
Anyone else observe that?
He seems to have slowed down a bit.. He's no kid anymore.. it happens to even the very best musicians/performers... bob

John Cadeau

Buddy Cage/NRPS fans

Post by John Cadeau »

I think Buddy is getting up there in age. I will be 70 in July, I think he might be one year older than me.