WBS S-10 Steelguitar E9/B6 Switchable tuning Questions

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Didi Waechtler

WBS S-10 Steelguitar E9/B6 Switchable tuning Questions

Post by Didi Waechtler »

Hello Forummembers,
I'm proud owner of a WBS Steelguitar S-10 E9/B6 swichtable tuning. http://www.wbssteelguitars.com/
Any suggestions how I get the main important Western Swing chords (like in C6 tuning)with my pedal actions and Levers I got. Maybe you have ideas what action I miss and I need to add.
Here is my Copedent:
http://www.dietmar-waechtler.de/deutsch/copedent-e9-b6/

Last edited by Didi Waechtler on 22 Jan 2015 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Nice guitar! Wow, a switchable copendent. How does that work, exactly? Do you have a lever under the guitar that locks in place? I couldn't find that info on the WBS website...

It looks like it lowers strings 4, 8, 9, and 10. Pardon my ignorance, but that looks like a B6 tuning rather than E6, right?

With the guitar switched to the B6 mode, you can get the four notes of a B6 chord on strings:

9-8-7-6

and

5-4-3-1 (or 5-3-2-1)

It's nice that you can strum from strings 9 to 6, or strum from 5 to 1.... or even 10 to 1 works. :)

I'll leave it to others to provide some other good Western Swing-style positions, but the basic 6th chord should get you started.
Didi Waechtler

B6

Post by Didi Waechtler »

Tucker I guess you right B6. I will correct that. There's a short lever installed switched to B6. Special 5 Nylontuners for the 5 strings correct the pitch. Works great. Thanks for your feedback.
Last edited by Didi Waechtler on 22 Jan 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micky Byrne

Re: WBS S-10 Steelguitar E9/E6 Switchable Chord/action quest

Post by Micky Byrne »

DiDi.....if you can look back, there was an article written by the late Jeff Newman called "The swinging E 9th" Just by lowering your E's. There is so much swing on the B6th tuning :D ...I think most uni players myself included went with Jeff's article then later progressed to the 2 extra strings on a Uni

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Didi Waechtler

WBS S-10 Steelguitar E9/B6 Switchable Chord/action question

Post by Didi Waechtler »

Micky, thanks. Yes I will check the article. Great idea.
Micky Byrne

Re: WBS S-10 Steelguitar E9/B6 Switchable Chord/action quest

Post by Micky Byrne »

Didi....I think the article was in "Steel Guitarist" magazine.....I think you can still get copies from Tom Bradshaw :)

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K. by the way...nice colour your WBS ;-)
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Methinks I read that b0b has all remaining Steel Guitarist mags.That would be #3. Bill

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categ ... Magazines/
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Hi Bill, that's handy to know.....I got my 2nd lot about 8 years ago from Tom Bradshaw...probably lost them too. They're such good reading and so informative. I remember one of Scottie's magazines had an article from someone who became a friend, on how to convert a 12 string steel to have the pulls of a twin 10. This was way before the "Universal" as we know of now. So I had the bits made up by a machinest friend and still have that Sho-Bud today...the one that was BBQ'd in a house fire and rebuilt.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Lindell Thomas

Post by Lindell Thomas »

Guten Tag, Herr Waechtler Herb Steiner has some good Western Swing courses on his website. Western Swing is a great world to explore and enjoy. Have fun
Billy Carr
Restricted

tunings

Post by Billy Carr »

I play a lot of B6th by lowering the E's. I use a very simple setup with 3 & 4. A6th is there w/ pedals also. Thanks.