1938 Gibson Double-neck - cancelling post, see note below

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Laura Hamshaw Baron

1938 Gibson Double-neck - cancelling post, see note below

Post by Laura Hamshaw Baron »

This one is from Wes. :) Yes, I am selling my dad's 1938 Gibson double-neck lap steel with original case. Model number is EH 150. It's in amazing shape. The guitar came to me after my father passed, and I moved it from Oregon to the Chicago area last summer. It's been safely and warmly stored, and as much as Id love to keep it, I don't play Steel and it needs to go to someone who will love it and play it. :) I am also listing it here in Chicago with some local Bluegrass and Country Musician folk. I am attaching photos that I have taken, and photos that my father took. He bought this either on this site (or ebay) and here's some additional info I found in some of his emails: "Pre-war Charlie Christian pickups", rare, has 2 8-string necks.
It appears he bought it for $3,200. I'm asking $3,000 OBO. I thought I would list here, before Ebay. Thanks so much, and feel free to contact me with questions/comments. -Laura
Last edited by Laura Hamshaw Baron on 17 Jan 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Nero

Post by Adam Nero »

I bought my console grande from your father in fall 2013. He was a pleasure to speak with and deal with. My condolences.
2 cheap dobros, several weird old lap steels, and one lifelong ticket to ride on the pedal steel struggle bus.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Oh my, what an utterly fantastic, beautiful, and historic instrument! These rarely, if ever, come available for sale. Per AJ Duchosoir's book, there were only 72 double neck ES-150s shipped in 1938. Their standard configuration was one 7-string and one 8-string neck. What you have there is undoubtedly very scarce, if not downright rare.

My condolences on the loss of your dad, and best of luck with your sale.

Thanks so much for making this classic Gibson doubleneck available on the Forum.
Christo Ruppenthal

Ill Take It!

Post by Christo Ruppenthal »

email and PM sent!
Christo Ruppenthal - https://christoruppenthal.com/
President - Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association (HSGA)
1929 National Tricone Style 3
1935 Rickenbacher Electro A-25 Fry Pan
1930 Weissenborn Teardrop
1932 National Style O Square Neck
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

Those are true CC PUs with the huge magnets. Pretty cool
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Is there a switch to activate each neck or are both necks (both pickups) active all the time?
Gary Rue

rare

Post by Gary Rue »

What a wonderful instrument. That's the kind of instrument you keep for a lifetime.
Jim Rossen

Post by Jim Rossen »

What is the scale length on these?
Laura Hamshaw Baron

Cancelling post - going to keep guitar

Post by Laura Hamshaw Baron »

Thanks for everyone's interest and comments, but this guitar is growing on me, and I've decided to keep it. I'm starting to feel somewhat attached to it, and I might even learn how to play it with the help of some friends.I apologize if I got anyone's hopes up. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, comments and interest. I just need more time. Take care, Laura
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

A wise decision, in my opinion. It's only gonna get rarer and more valuable. Take good care of it!
Matthew Dawson

Post by Matthew Dawson »

Learning to play it is a great idea! That is a fabulous instrument.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, Laura, keep it, love it, play it, but don't scratch it! 8) It's an awesome, rare steel guitar.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, Laura, keep it, love it, play it, but don't scratch it! 8) It's an awesome, rare steel guitar.