Any steel guitarists in the Pennsylvania area?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Iain Sloan

Any steel guitarists in the Pennsylvania area?

Post by Iain Sloan »

Hi. I'm Iain and a first-time poster to this forum. I come from Edinburgh Scotland and play pedal steel (Dekley D-12) and guitar with a couple of bands.

I'm coming over to the States in May 2015 for the first time and one of my bands (Abel Ganz - a prog-rock band) are playing RoSfest in the Majestic Theater in Gettysburg, PA.

Although I play electric and acoustic for most of the set, pedal steel is absolutely essential for 3 or 4 other songs in our 90-minute set.

Due to the weight of the Dekley D-12, I simply cannot afford to ship it over for one show.

Does anyone on this forum know of ANY pedal steel guitarists in the Gettysburg/Pennsylvania area who'd be willing to lend or hire me a guitar with an E9 neck for the weekend.

A further complication is that my Dekley E9 neck is set up Jimmy Day stylee (not Emmons). I don;t expect to find anyone who owns a Day set-up and who is willing to hire me a guitar for the weekend. But, if I can set up some kind of loan/hire and know the co-pedent of the instrument I'll be using at the Gettysburg show, I know enough steelies in Scotland who could lend me something that I can practise on for a few weeks over here before flying to Pennsylvania.

I know this is a long shot, but I'm at a loss otherwise.

Do any of you know of any Hire Companies who hire out pedal steels on the east coast?

Thanks for any support or guidance you can offer me.

Iain xo
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Iain,
Some good news. . . maybe.
I'm originally from PA and though I play the Emmons set-up, I always noticed that especially in central PA, many of the players used the Jimmy Day set-up. I'll pass your note to some who may be able to help out.

All the best to you.

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Iain, I am just 10 miles from Gettysburg and would be glad to help in any way I can. I have an MSA D10 that was completely rebuilt by Bobby Bowman prior to his passing. The guitar plays well and sounds good. It is a Day setup and not an Emmons, if that is what you are used to playing. Feel free to contact me via private message if I can be of any assistance to you. I also have amplifiers (all tube, tube hybrids, and solid state) that you may borrow if you choose.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Iain, welcome on to the forum, hope you have a good trip.Malcolm
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Iain Don Poland is a great guy and I know you will be happy with what Don has offered you to help you.I Know Don and have met him on the Steel Guitar Chat room.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Many in Central Pa learned from Ted Solesky (spelling?). He played Day setup (and tuned to D9 instead of E9).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tom Vollmer

Iain Day set up

Post by Tom Vollmer »

Iain,
As Craig Baker said the Day setup is alive and well in central and east Pa.
I can lend you a 1970 Emmons PP D 10 or a 2012 SD 10 Emmons Lashley Le Grande also a Webb or Evans amp both have 15" speakers for your gig. I am about 90 miles from Gettysburg at Hamburg Pa. I 78& Pa. 61
E mail me if interested.
TV
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

For you guys in eastern PA (I used to live in Jim Thorpe, PA), I happened to notice that Guitar Center Scranton has a Session 400 (the monitor/wedge shaped model) on their Used Gear list.
It's a good Steel amp.

Here's the info:

Item# 110777127
Used Peavey Session 400 Powered Monitor

Guitar Center Scranton
Moosic, Pennsylvania 18507
570-343-0600

Now Only
$199.99

Available In: Scranton
Manager: Justin Norton